Herring around Victoria

islandboy

I noticed last year there were reports of the herring arriving early at the gorge. Is the gorge the only area to fish herring in Victoria? Esquimalt lagoon? Harbour? ....[?]

I had oldtimers telling me about awesome herring fishery in the Gulf Islands - such as Active Pass. Nowadays you might be able to scoop a few fish when you encounter a harring ball somewhere on the ocean but I know nobody who jigs for herring anymore. The Gorge was the only productive spot left but the last few years have been horrible - especially last year - hardly any herring showed up to spawn. The guys on the bridges were lucky to get 2-3 pieces for a full 4-6 hour jigging shift. That means the last little bit of life in the Gorge has gone and you can put it too on the list of waters that deserve the name: Dead Sea.

south entrance of active pass herring have got to be still around dthere and they are huge look for the gulls and jig down 30 feet

south entrance of active pass herring have got to be still around dthere and they are huge look for the gulls and jig down 30 feet

There was a lot of bird activity (cormorant and mergansers) under the tillicum bridge this morning. :)

I'd say leave them alone and go spend 6 bucks on a pack of bait, unless you like sitting on a bridge for 4 hours with cars zipping by you for a couple of herring.

There were a couple of old guys on the Admiral's road bridge last weekend giving it a whirl. Not sure if they were getting anything or not.

Only 1 person fishing today when I drove by at noon at admirals.

This time of year look for gulls feeding around the mouth of the harbor and throw a jig in. Not much has happened in the Gorge since DND decided to do a bunch of under water blasting near the harbor right at spawning time a couple of years ago.

pulled 3 hours on the bridge yesterday. nothing. tide wasn't right. the big talk was last week and monday. they were averaging 15 a bucket with one old portuguese guy getting a full bucket. why is it always the old portuguese guys? Gotta love it

I was out trolling for springs on the weekend around Discovery Island in Haro Straight. Didn't catch any salmon, but holy crap was there ever a load of bait in the water. I was in about 130' of water and would come across HUGE bait balls that would have my sounder thinking I was in 30' of water!!! All sorts of them -- some big thick bait balls, and some scattered and spread out. They would be down between 30' and about 90' so I didn't see any of them but assumed they were Herring.

Herring were being caught this afternoon on the craigflower bridge when I passed by.

Back