Here's the latest closure

Just when I finally learned to cook them. :(I cooked my first ever crab on Saturday. It was delicious! By the sounds of it it could be one of my last as I won't buy it from the natives and I don't have a boat.

I hope that they find another way to manage this resource that is fair to all.

Carole

Finally, did everyone see the number of nets out and around Tsawwassen / Sandheads last year? The commercial guys leave the crabs in the nets so they will grow to legal size. It reaches a point when there is not a legal crab out there yet the thousands of nets remain.D.F.O. should look at Washington State's regulations. They are miles ahead, they actually moniter what is happening in their waters.

quote:Nanoose Bay crab fisherman Kim Mauriks is suggesting another approach. He's proposing the fishery endorse trap-haul quotas, or limiting the number of times traps are hauled on board: "That would work as well as DFO's straight closure," he said.

Ya sure and who's going to monitor this?

The news last night said this was going to be a comercail closure to for greater sport fisheries, I heard nuthing about a sport closure

I commercial fished for Crab a few years back and you ARE not allowed to pen undersized crab they it is illegal if they were doing that shame on em!!!!! a crab will not live that long penned up maybe 3 weeks then they start feeding on each other so it really isnt benifiting them there loss would be greater than there gain.

Big meeting here on friday ill hear about it more after the meeting.

Wolf

Wolf, This was the only reason we could see for them to leave crab in the nets.We have observed this at Tsawwassen. Any other explanation?

Wolf, We all hear that commercial crabbers cut recreational trap lines etc. I personaly have never seen this and actualy had a boat help me find some missing prawn traps. Have you ever seen this ?

The boat i worked on we never did but it happens. alot of the time because it would get tangled on the ground line and it would shear though 1/4 nylon very easily and it was not intended but there is no other way to bring up our string of 15 to 20 traps with out the power lift. best thing to do is stay away from any commercial gear it slows them down and pisses them off.

Things to look for most "strings" are about 100 yds or more.and there is a float on either end and in between that is the guys traps so if you see a red float and then 100 yds away in a straight line is another red folat im sure you can figure out where his gear is.

Most of the time they work a grid for example one line will be on a level of 40ft then 50 ft then 60 ft and so on all Paralleling the other strings got to the ends of the lines and you should be fine

Hope that helps

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

Probally a good idea this four month shutdown.The last few years the crabs are allmost gone on the WCVI thanks to the otter's breeding like rats and eating like pigs!
I have noticed alot more commercial pressure on the east side.

A closure like that will hurt the crabbers though, dont see why they dont do a 2 week a month shut down like the prawns in brentwood bay.. Same if not less fishing days but would not hurt the market or fisherman like a full closure for an extended period of time?

In Washington, the closures reflect the shape the crab is in. If they are empty or molting its shut down. The prawning should be closed when they have eggs.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

In Washington, the closures reflect the shape the crab is in. If they are empty or molting its shut down. The prawning should be closed when they have eggs.

You would think this would be automatic...I also agree with regular closures, but not so sure about the monthly ones.

Good luck on determing when they are molting we got hard shelled and molters in the same trap all the time thats why you grade them at the time and toss back the non market ones that are either too soft or too small.

Wolf

Back