Help with Wiring New Trailer Lights

Whole in the Water

I am putting my trailer lights on a 8 ft 2x4 and hanging them off the stern of my boat to keep them out of the water. I am installing new LED lights on the 2x4. Each of the LED lights has a ground wire that normally connects onto a bolt that attaches to the metal trailer.

So my question is, how or where should I attach the ground wire for each trailer light since I would like to bolt the lights to a piece of non-conductive wood?

I have seen other guys hang their trailer lights off a 2x4 so their must be a 2 way to connect these ground wires. Anybody have any advice or ideas on this?

There should be a short white wire coming off the plug on the boat side. Run new wire to that from the light grounds. The white wire on the truck end is grounded to the truck

Last edited by a moderator:
quick guys, all at once :D

White wire at your plug should be connected to your trailer frame. In your case it will not be. Add a length of wire between your leds and run one back to the white wire of your plug. The plug on your truck should have the white wire on it connected to the truck frame. You will be grounded through it.

Back