Help with drive from Campbell River to Dent island

Airon

Anyone driving north by boat from Campbell River to Dent island area near Sonora?? Better to stay in Johnston straight or head around cape mudge? How bad are the rapids at hole in the wall?? Okay to run through anytime in 24' hewescraft?? Best to check Johnston straight weather or north of Nanaimo

Id go up the strait You are fine in a 24 hewes, but its a crap ride in a NW wind. rapids can be crappy and id try to time it close to slack

It's a bit of both Strait of GA & Johnstone for marine weather. A SE doesn't affect you really but a NW sure does. I've done it my 16' aluminum from Browns Bay but just watch the wind and dont be in a rush. There's a Browns Bay & Chatham light house webcam. No winds but gives you current conditions. I'd go up the strait, hang a roger at Chatham Pt and head up Nodales around Sonora. There are some decent rapids around Sonora and best to avoid as best you can. I'd say anytime is fine to run, maybe choose slack-ish when going through the narrows.

Thansk for all the info! Does Browns Bay have a good launch? Long-term parking?

The launch isn't great but it's okay. Just be careful at a low tide. No floats to tie up to so you need someone on the boat to run it across and tie up at the docks while you park the truck. I think parking is $12/day, don't quote me. They have gas, a good marina.

I'd avoid Hole in the wall. At the west end by Wyatt bay there was no slack - tide was going different directions on each side during what should have been slack leading to INSTANT whirlpools; still gives me the shivers 25 years later. East side of Read/North end of Sonora are fine. Browns Bay was good.

I'd avoid Hole in the wall. At the west end by Wyatt bay there was no slack - tide was going different directions on each side during what should have been slack leading to INSTANT whirlpools; still gives me the shivers 25 years later. East side of Read/North end of Sonora are fine. Browns Bay was good.
uhm, while ugly at times other than slack, your memory is playing tricks on you :)
we go through there almost every summer in a 33' sailboat with a measly 13hp diesel - and is fine. So the OP shouldnt have problems - however, anything other than slack id be cautious.

Looks like hes got a boat that will handle anything that he'll encounter in any tide going Okisollo /Hole in Wall route.

As long as hes capable at the wheel of his vessel and no mechanical problems.

The run up and through hole in wall..and ive done it many many times at all different tides in different boats(smallest was my 552 Campion Explorer in worst possible tides/winds)..can be interesting, but it is the most scenic, its the only way we go to Little Dent.
One of my favourite runs

Worst water conditions I've run into in all those trips so far was heading up Discovery Passage,bucking the tide and wind..praying for that right turn into calm waters of Okisollo ..lol
Check wind forcasts and tides,web cams and call Browns Bay before you head out if your really concerned...most if not all plotters will give you the speed and direction of tides you want to lookup.
I always launch in CRiver in behind Superstore..great ramp.

I love seeing the force of the ocean in some of the places along the way.
Depending on tides
Cooper Pt,or Owen bay side,entrance to hole in wall, Yuculta rapids,Gillard passage..
When you get up there the Dent Rappids and Devils hole..soo cool..
Enjoy your trip

Looks like hes got a boat that will handle anything that he'll encounter in any tide going Okisollo /Hole in Wall route.

The run up and through hole in wall..and ive done it many many times at all different tides in different boats(smallest was my 552 Campion Explorer in worst possible tides/winds)..can be interesting, but it is the most scenic, its the only way we go to Little Dent.
One of my favourite runs

Worst water conditions I've run into in all those trips so far was heading up Discovery Passage,bucking the tide and wind..praying for that right turn into calm waters of Okisollo ..lol
Check wind forcasts and tides,web cams and call Browns Bay before you head out if your really concerned...most if not all plotters will give you the speed and direction of tides you want to lookup.

Depending on tides
Cooper Pt,or Owen bay side,entrance to hole in wall, Yuculta rapids,Gillard passage..
Enjoy your trip
Looking forward to it, thanks all for the info! This forum is such a great resource
Plan A is Brown bay and up around top of Sonora, maybe different route on way back

One of my favourite runs

Depending on tides
Enjoy your trip

^^^^^ sound advice.

I would add that if it is blowing hard northwest, choose launching in CR and go south around cape mudge. The run over to Dent, whether you go north/south from CR is very similar in time and distance. If it's flat off the cape but blowing in the straits it makes no sense to me, chosing to pound your way north.

Again, as mentioned previously, if you need to transit some rapids, your boat is absolutely capable of running any of the rapids at any stage of tide.

^^^^^ sound advice.

I would add that if it is blowing hard northwest, choose launching in CR and go south around cape mudge. The run over to Dent, whether you go north/south from CR is very similar in time and distance. If it's flat off the cape but blowing in the straits it makes no sense to me, chosing to pound your way north.

Again, as mentioned previously, if you need to transit some rapids, your boat is absolutely capable of running any of the rapids at any stage of tide.
Sounds good, that's plan B

Hi mayday. What I have seen on all passes where current can be an issue is a HUGE difference based on tide change. Glad you haven'y experienced what I did, but my memory is fine on this issue.

Plan to launch early in the morning and you'll more than likely beat that NW wind and save yourself a pounding. If it's blowing NW Hoskyn Channel can be just as nasty. You might find it easier to launch at Discovery Harbour and do the extra half hour run in the boat instead of trailering the dirt road to Browns Bay. Keeps the rig cleaner.

You have a 24' boat. Launch at Discovery Ramp and start running.
It is the best ramp around, with a dock and decent parking.
Brown's Bay is doable, but at low tide, can be challenging.
If you are driving slow on the gravel road into Brown's Bay, there is little difference in time.

Did the drive a few times up Johnstone straight through hole in a wall, even in 20-30knt NW winds wasn't too bad, beautiful territory

Back