Help rebuilding my tackle collection

jcon12

Well it may be my worst loss to date.. somehow managed to let my freshly primed tackle box slide off the back of the boat yesterday. Lost my life's collection of spoons, hootcheis, plugs etc.

Looking for some advice on the best lures if you were to start over again.

I primarily fish Vanouver and Nootka sound.

If you were to start over what would you buy? (sizes, style, colors etc).

Thanks for any input!

That sucks. How deep was it? Did you manage to mark where you lost it? I guess it could drift but might be a chance to recover it with a diver or freediver.

I would start by finding the ideal tackle box for a good location on my boat, mine is too big and I have trouble down sizing.

For trolling I’d buy a green and red flasher or a variation or those it’s what I believe most commercial fisherman use.

I’d buy a cop car glow I think Krippled KC makes a well built one or go with a Peetz or AP version. Then a needle fish from AP, I have a green silver that does well.

I gave up on bulky tackle boxes a few years back.
I have about 10 go to lures , mainly spoons and 3 flashers on board
if I can't catch a fish on those proven lures it's time to go home .

I went to two different sized tackle boxes, a small one for fall and winter fishing, and then a regular size one for spring and summer. The small one also includes sockeye and pink salmon gear when those runs are here. Flashers still have their own box.

I have way too much gear.I plan on keeping all my terminal gear in drawers on the boat,hooks,.swivels,chains,split rings,snaps etc. Everything else is in Plano boxes in a couple of soft bags,I find them easier to store than boxes.I probably have 75 flashers but only use about 8. Chrome Betsy,Gold Betsy,Black Onion,No Bananas,Glow White/onion,Purple Haze.and the old stand by's Chrome red & green Hotspots.

I have a box of random spoons and flashers your welcome to come sift through it

One the positive side, that's one way to clear out the crap. That 75% of junk you we never use. Sucks about any vintage or hard to find stuff.

Well it may be my worst loss to date.. somehow managed to let my freshly primed tackle box slide off the back of the boat yesterday. Lost my life's collection of spoons, hootcheis, plugs etc.

Looking for some advice on the best lures if you were to start over again.

I primarily fish Vanouver and Nootka sound.

If you were to start over what would you buy? (sizes, style, colors etc).

Thanks for any input!
white glow hootchies are my go to. I use the uv skirts inside. 602 plug My go to’s

Sorry to hear of your loss, Maybe knot funny but with true dope-in-power some possible cheaper options. PM me if you like, I have a bunch of extras to help kick off your new selection. located on the Sunshine coast but can do what I can to help out.

Attachments

• 1673832811487.jpeg
    1673832811487.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 22HThgjTF16wYnca.jpg
    22HThgjTF16wYnca.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 14
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Start with gear that has proven effective for you in the past. That is what you have the most confidence in and will use consistently. I think we all have lots of stuff that never gets used,

One the positive side, that's one way to clear out the crap. That 75% of junk you we never use. Sucks about any vintage or hard to find stuff.
So true. i have thousands in tackle and use like, three lures for salmon.

Flashers - classic hotspot green and purple glow, bon chovy, classic red, purple onion
Skinny Gs - some chrome and blue or green, herring aid, bon chovy
Koho Killer - chrome green, white green
Hoochies - white, spatter back chartreuse or green, UV colour of choice
Plugs - 94, 602, 632 - some UV inserts if you want more.
Chovy Teaser heads - Chrome, Green Glow, UV Purple
Don't think you'd truly need anything else - but of course we all like to buy more. And most of it all works.

Back