Help identifying this boat please!

Not to rein in all this enthusiasm but...
You will enjoy that POS for a day or two, then wish:
1) it was at least 16' and that...
2) it was 20 years newer.

Boats, even newer, are money pits. Old engines are scrap. Ever see parts labeled NLA? New boaters all make the same mistakes. There are no cheap boats! You pay more, when you find a nice one and live happily ever after.

Or you find a cheap, fixer upper, "bargain", spend thousands on repairs and upgrades, end up hating it, selling or scrapping it and then abandon boating, entirely.

I speak from experience. The third boat I bought was a Malibu Tyee. 12 years old when I bought it, kept indoors, looked near-new, solid Yamaha power and a decent, galvanized trailer under it. 18 year later, it's on it's fourth owner - my son-in-law and now on to his best friend. We all love that boat to this day. I paid double what I wanted to but never regretted that day, ever! Guess what? It's held value for 30 years, last selling for more than the original purchase price!

So wait, shop, save, take a small loan but buy the right boat once and first.

Last edited:
Not to rein in all this enthusiasm but...
You will enjoy that POS for a day or two, then wish:
1) it was at least 16' and that...
2) it was 20 years newer.

Boats, even newer, are money pits. Old engines are scrap. Ever see parts labeled NLA? New boaters all make the same mistakes. There are no cheap boats! You pay more, when you find a nice one and live happily ever after.

Or you find a cheap, fixer upper, "bargain", spend thousands on repairs and upgrades, end up hating it, selling or scrapping it and then abandon boating, entirely.

I speak from experience. The third boat I bought was a Malibu Tyee. 12 years old when I bought it, kept indoors, looked near-new, solid Yamaha power and a decent, galvanized trailer under it. 18 year later, it's on it's fourth owner - my son-in-law and now on to his best friend. We all love that boat to this day. I paid double what I wanted to but never regretted that day, ever! Guess what? It's held value for 30 years, last selling for more than the original purchase price!

So wait, shop, save, take a small loan but buy the right boat once and first.
Solid advice! Thank you.
With all the help on this thread I’ve decided to steer clear of this due to a few different reasons. Current attack plan is to pick up a welded Tinny and source a more reliable outboard elsewhere. That way I can get my feet wet and not worry about running into problems buried behind fibreglass, along with an older outboard that will eventually **** out.

Solid advice! Thank you.
With all the help on this thread I’ve decided to steer clear of this due to a few different reasons. Current attack plan is to pick up a welded Tinny and source a more reliable outboard elsewhere. That way I can get my feet wet and not worry about running into problems buried behind fibreglass, along with an older outboard that will eventually **** out.
Smart man!
I spent many years in a 16' tinner and never regretted a day of it. Barclay Sound to Sooke but mostly Separation Point, near Cow. Bay. A great way to fish!

You pay more for welded but you get it all back again at resale. Find a lower hour Yam or Zuk 4 stroke. Camp return maybe? Even a 30 h.p. E-Tec. The blush is off those so you may find a good deal on one. I had that on another boat (since sold ) and found it excellent in all respects. Find a decent trailer and you can go anywhere, easily and inexpensively (no need for a big tow vehicle). And you'll be in great company: the tinny crowd are special people.

I now fish from my son-in-laws gorgeous, fully-outfitted Thunderjet and love it! Beyond my pay grade, though.
(Pic: Papa and my Grandson, yesterday at Kitty Coleman.)

Attachments

• IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 28
Back