Help identifying this boat please!

aussieantics

Hi guys,
Hoping someone can help me identify this boat. I am a complete noob and just looking for something safe to get my feet wet around howe sound over the next few years. One of my neighbours is wanting to get rid of this but has no idea what it is. Going to go and have a chat to him when i'm home in a few weeks. I was thinking maybe an Hourston Glascraft 14'?
Any help greatly appreciated.

IMG_6512.jpeg

Not sure if it’s a hourston. People normally keep the brand name on there if it’s a hourston. But looks like a clean old boat and would be great fun if you get a good deal on it

From looking at the Vintage of the outboard I would think the boat might be very early 80’s. I am not as well versed with the tiny Hourstons but it does have some lines that might lead me to think that as well. The easiest way of course would be to look for the HIN which will be on the AFT side of the transom. Hourston started using HIN numbers after 1975 even though it was not required in Canada until the 80’s because they were being sold in the US by then as well. Your boat also might have a compliancy tag somewhere near the motor well that will also be a dead giveaway to who made it (sometimes they are in odd places like right under the steering wheel) but this tag has a tendency to rot off as its made from trophy grade aluminum.
If you are looking for further information on HIN numbers or Compliancy Notices all very easily found with a google search.
My friends 1982 16’ Hourston had all of the above for identification.
On a different note. It might not have a HIN or a tag and you might have nothing to go on.
There were a lot of copycats and rip offs in those days from the stories I have been told.
If it has a HIN the first 3 letters will be ZHG if it was made by Chuck and Bill
and the last 2 digits will be the year like 82 for 1982.
Hope that Helps

Last edited:
In terms of buying a boat what you really want to check is the motor is it at all usable or are you shortly to have an additional $20,000 bill?

About that particular craft back in the day a number of people did Hourston knockoffs some of them just as good.

In terms of buying a boat what you really want to check is the motor is it at all usable or are you shortly to have an additional $20,000 bill?

About that particular craft back in the day a number of people did Hourston knockoffs some of them just as good.
Well put,
I got caught up in the manufacturing mystery instead of the “is this a good buy” question. Old boats can be really cool, Old outboards a firm No!
Also this should have been a Boats forum question to me thinks.
Cheers

Don’t scare him. You definitely don’t need to spend $20,000 to get some fresher power on the boat if that one blows

Looks like a older double eagle as it has the instepped bow , transom pic might help as well , either way if it was a double eagle or hourston good boat only thing id be worried about if its been stored like that in the elements of course the obvious stringers and transom would more then likly be rotten.

Well put,
I got caught up in the manufacturing mystery instead of the “is this a good buy” question. Old boats can be really cool, Old outboards a firm No!
Also this should have been a Boats forum question to me thinks.
Cheers
Thanks for all the amazing intel there mate! Given me a few good things to look for.
My apologies if it’s in the wrong section. Just stumbling my way into the boating world along with this forum!
Thanks once again for the tips, bloody legend!

Looks like a older double eagle as it has the instepped bow , transom pic might help as well , either way if it was a double eagle or hourston good boat only thing id be worried about if its been stored like that in the elements of course the obvious stringers and transom would more then likly be rotten.
It’s been sitting outside like that for a while. The owner admits he doesn’t know anything about boats and that’s part of the reason he’s selling. I’ve looked at another Hourston on CL and even with my rookie eye I could see cracks in the transom. Anything else to look for bedside obvious cracking or deformities?
Guess the only way to inspect stringers is to tear the floor open?

It’s been sitting outside like that for a while. The owner admits he doesn’t know anything about boats and that’s part of the reason he’s selling. I’ve looked at another Hourston on CL and even with my rookie eye I could see cracks in the transom. Anything else to look for bedside obvious cracking or deformities?
Guess the only way to inspect stringers is to tear the floor open?
Look up how to do the knocking test for the transom, quite simple really but worth watching a video or two. There’s plenty of good YouTube videos on how to do hull inspections. Good luck!

Really appreciate everyone chiming in. Have given me tons of good information to get this guy out on the water. No more hauling prawn pots in my bloody kayak. Hahah

with my rookie eye I could see cracks in the transom
If it has that id do a tap test all over thansom with a ball peen hammer just "tap" if its good wood it bounced back easy if not you will hear and feel a thud. remember fresh water rots salt water preserves (somewhat) and if its been left out like that id be VERY worried and cautious

Back