Help- GPS/Chart plotter problems

mjd

hey gang

took the boat out yesterday and my GPS (Lowrance LCX-112C) never worked. By that I mean after I turned it on, the shoreline and the sonar worked fine but the actual GPS gave me a (GPS module not responding) warning. I ran through all the connection and everything looks good with no corrosion or damaged pins. My guess is that the antenna is probably gone but before i spend the money, is there any thing else that it could be and ways I could diagnose it. thanks. . .

Check the fuse and make sure you don't have corrosion on the metal ends.
The fuse will look fine but a small amount of corrosion will not let the juice flow.
You can also find the pin outs and check for voltage.
The manual will have the details.

Those modules have a history of going belly up.
Getting harder to find replacements.

Do a search, this has been covered.

Same issue for me.
Mine has had issues on and off. Working good right now. (knock wood)
I wired direct to battery which helped.

I found that if I lose connection and get the not responding message, I unplug the wires at back of unit and hook up after a couple of minutes. This resets it everytime. Doesnt fix the problem but works everytime. I also carry a hand held as back up.

Tips

thanks.

Yep the more i research this problem the more i realize it is a common issue with this module. I have disconnected the entire unit several times with no change, I have tried to check the volts but me and electrical don't mix. The unit itself works great--besides the GPS--is it possible that everything works (sonar and map) but the voltage isn't good enough to run the module and GPS? I have a hard time understanding this. . .

does anyone have any experience with a newer module but compatible with the Lowrance LCX 112c, that may have addressed the issues that the 3000 module has. I think the Lowrance point-1 module will work but it is pricey. I just don't want to buy another module and be faced with the same problems down the road.

If you post your location someone may have an idea of who you can bring you module to for checking.

Try removing the chip then rebooting with chip plugged back in. If that doesn't work you need a recovery chip to reboot the system. Harbour chandler can get you one Sometimes your chip will slide out of the slot. My buddy just had that problem this week.

thansk for all the input gang, its all helpful.

Battle bay--thanks for that

searun--is the chip really going to be responsible for the module not working. I have tried the reboot and taking the card out and putting it back in, but maybe not in the order you suggested. . .the map functions and chip seem to be working though so I have a hard time understanding this. however, your not the first person to say they have first hand experience with this.

I guesss my question at this point is: If I replace the module with a new one is the problem going to be solved or is the LCX-112c always going to be a quirky unit. Does anyone have long term experience with this unit? The last thing i want to do is buy a module for 200+ dollars and then have to reboot/unplug/restart the unit all the time to keep it working. I have read that there is a lot of issues with this but what I can't determine is if these problems are due to the 3000 module that this unit was sold with or if its a problem in the unit itself. The display, sounder and map are really nice so if I can have this unit, and count on it I will keep it. I'm just being picky I guess because fog is a major reality up here and I haven't been here long enough to really feel comfortable having electronics randomly give out on me.

I have started doing some research into smaller gps/sounder units and I think i can get a whole new unit for around 500.00, then I can use the lowrance sounder, which seems to be pretty nice, and have a stand-alone GPS.

Back