Help Convincing My Wife

My guiding principle with all matter related to my lovely wife and mother of my children.

Don’t do ANYTHING that will negatively impact my ability to fish. All withdrawals come from the same “relationship goodwill” bank account.

My guiding principle with all matter related to my lovely wife and mother of my children.

Don’t do ANYTHING that will negatively impact my ability to fish. All withdrawals come from the same “relationship goodwill” bank account.
X2. I gave up a lot so I could be on this forum posting on every thread. The good part is I can actually catch fish so she's happy ;)

In a theoretical world where I would get on a bike again, the only thing I'd consider would be a road/dirt like a V strom or similar. Loads of interesting gravel road rides in BC. And full face helmet all the way. Apart from the critical protection issues, open face is like driving a car without a windshield.

I would really like a motorcycle. Does anyone here have experience with a better half that was super against the idea, then came around? Any tips?

The bike i have selected is a cruiser not a crotch rocket, super reliable and rated as an excellent starter bike. I will only ride during daylight on dry days. I will happily stay off the highway. I will take the safe riding course. I have an excellent driving history and I am a defensive driver.

It’s just that I look so damn sexy on this thing!
View attachment 70833

Its called the b!tch seat for a reason lol
I road for a few yrs, with sweetheart on back.
Had a few close calls with other motorists not seeing us or blowing red lights and wildlife/deer!
I know of a few riders in my small group having been hit not their fault, one is gone.
Sold the bike and bought the vette, never looked back

Last edited:
100%!
It’s easy to change out the wheels/do a couple of tweaks to an already finished car to make it your own. People usually sell a mint car for a fraction of what they put into it.

All I need to do is go out to the garage for a daily reminder of said fact. There's a ton nice cars over your way too.

If she’s not convinced: remember the classic words of Peter Griffin:

Attachments

• D6792CF2-45F8-4A57-BDD7-D69539989630.jpeg
    D6792CF2-45F8-4A57-BDD7-D69539989630.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 41
Tip of the day: only speak to your wife about purchasing a new boat or motorcycle after she's had a couple glasses of wine. Broach the subject, then observe her immediate reaction. If she's indifferent or at least not outright objecting, you know you can get to the finish line eventually. If not, you're screwed.

Took me two years of carefully timed conversations to convince mine that yes we need to upgrade from a 22' used boat to a 35' new boat without stopping at 26'/28' along the way, but I got there.

You're welcome.

Tip of the day: only speak to your wife about purchasing a new boat or motorcycle after she's had a couple glasses of wine. Broach the subject, then observe her immediate reaction. If she's indifferent or at least not outright objecting, you know you can get to the finish line eventually. If not, you're screwed.

Took me two years of carefully timed conversations to convince mine that yes we need to upgrade from a 22' used boat to a 35' new boat without stopping at 26'/28' along the way, but I got there.

You're welcome.
Is your wife still with you??LOL

K...this stupid phone bricked itself and nuked all of the images so no judgment on the state of the garage, please...the 240Z is a 73 and has been fully restored, and I'm continually messing with it however I drive it very rarely. The 911 is an 89, one of the last of that generation. It too needed some attention but no where near that of the 240Z, that followed me home after a hard Saturday night which started with "rust free" and ended with "uh oh, this is gonna be expensive".

20210926_212301_resized.jpg20210926_212325_resized.jpg

By the way the gray one, I simply brought it home one day and washed it in the driveway. Didn't say anything and she didn't ask either. Then a week later had to kick her 4runner out of the garage, that's when the fun started...so I wouldn't council anyone else to consider this methodology as a proven strategy. I simply got lucky.

Bikes are easy to miss when you are driving. How do I know, I pulled out in front of a bike twice in my life after looking both ways. I know I scared the crap out of the bikers and I certainly was not happy with myself either time. Luckily the bikers and I managed to avoid each other but close calls both times. I consider myself to be a decent driver with 1 small fender bender in 45 years of driving.
The other day I came across an accident near Ladysmith with a bike laying on the ground, the fellow on the ground and a distraught lady whose car was partly across one lane. Clearly she had been making a left turn across the lane and missed seeing the bike and just turned right into him.
They may be fun to ride but you are taking your life into your hands with the other drivers on the road.

I had a deer run into my car in the dark. I pulled over 100m ahead to check the damage (Drivable but totalled).
Along came a motorcycle in the opposite direction and he hit the dead deer which turned out to be still on the road near the center line before anyone had time to drag it off.
He had some serious injuries.
Nothing ever came of it but it took a year of interviews with ICBC and lawyers to determine they wouldn't pursue me financially.
Next time I'd drag it off right away, and try to slow traffic, but it happened in less than two minutes.

It sounds lile you've considered all the important safety aspects: gear, course etc. If this is important to you then just do it. Life is too short to miss out on the fun stuff. We take chances everytime we get out of bed. I've attended to many fatal motorcycle accidents and it doesnt change my passion for riding. Likewise I've attended to many heart attacks and I still eat red meat. It sucks for those people and their loved ones but it doesnt take the smile off my face everytime I ride. I taught both my boys to ride and I know the risks that were associated with that.

My wife loves to ride pillion so I'm fortunate that way. Maybe yours will with time too. Just start slowly and methodically. I have a rule that my street bikes dont ever tip over.......not even in the garage. It's actually far more obtainable than people with scratched up bikes realize. Just be smart and cautious. You can have fun and not die.

Lastly.......and this is easy for me to say as Ive been with the same woman for 28 years but if I want to do something as long as we can afford it I will go and do it. I dont ask for permission very often and that goes both ways. Besides if I do die young i hope it's doing something I love like sex, fishing, or bikes. My lovely wife will probably do better on her second choice.

Last edited:
my 1961 scout 80 4x4, first year the Scout came out, 1999 Cadillac Seville sts with 130k, 2008 Yamaha v-star1700. That bike has your name on it Stizzla.

Attachments

• E2C69DB0-47D6-45D8-B472-B5F24255F99B.jpeg
    E2C69DB0-47D6-45D8-B472-B5F24255F99B.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 41
  • 3F12D7CC-34AE-436F-96C2-3A245C17CD65.jpeg
    3F12D7CC-34AE-436F-96C2-3A245C17CD65.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 40
  • EF3432A5-3E8D-4865-8CAD-613FCD528623.jpeg
    EF3432A5-3E8D-4865-8CAD-613FCD528623.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 41
my 1961 scout 80 4x4, first year the Scout came out, 1999 Cadillac Seville sts with 130k, 2008 Yamaha v-star1700. That bike has your name on it Stizzla.
Right. 1700 is the perfect size for a first bike!
You know my wife, Donny… this ain’t happening!

Buy a dirt bike, you'll get some skills and when you go to the street you'll realize how much less fun it is compared to dirt and you'll want off the slab!
Definitely a great way to start out but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Try two up offroad adventure touring on a liter bike......now that is fun.

Back