HDS live questions/help

MikePA

I tried out my new unit today for the first time and have a couple questions. Firstly, when the engine was off, I could hear a clicking sound coming from the display unit, I hit the stop sonar button and it stopped. Is this normal? I looked on some other pages and some people say it's normal, others say get your unit checked out. Also this was what the sonar image looked like, lots of noise at the top, didn't matter if the engine was on or off, and it's the only transducer on the boat, any ideas?20230423_115915.jpg

I tried out my new unit today for the first time and have a couple questions. Firstly, when the engine was off, I could hear a clicking sound coming from the display unit, I hit the stop sonar button and it stopped. Is this normal? I looked on some other pages and some people say it's normal, others say get your unit checked out. Also this was what the sonar image looked like, lots of noise at the top, didn't matter if the engine was on or off, and it's the only transducer on the boat, any ideas?View attachment 91822
Check your grounds. I had that happen but it was fixed when I had a bunch of electrical work done.

There is a Sensivity setting that you can play with to get a clearer picture, I don’t have the manual in front of me to check but you can Google it as well, lot’s of YouTube videos.

The clicking that your hearing should be coming from your transducer. Not the head unit. You need to mess with your sensitivity, color pallet, noise reduction and surface clarity to get exactly what you want. I run a little “dirtier” screen than most. Which is just caused by my sensitivity being higher.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpeg
    IMG_2100.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 31
There is a Sensivity setting that you can play with to get a clearer picture, I don’t have the manual in front of me to check but you can Google it as well, lot’s of YouTube videos.
The clicking that your hearing should be coming from your transducer. Not the head unit. You need to mess with your sensitivity, color pallet, noise reduction and surface clarity to get exactly what you want. I run a little “dirtier” screen than most. Which is just caused by my sensitivity being higher.
Also, switch your setting over to high or medium chirp. That will change it up a lot too
Thanks. I was wondering if this was some sort of electrical interference from something else or just noise that needs to be filtered by the settings you guys describe..I just didn't have any of that on my old crappy unit. I played around with it today, and can definitely get rid of it with changing the surface clarity and noise rejection settings, I just was concerned I'd lose out on too much other signal. It also made a difference going through the different modes deep water versus slow trolling.

Back