HDPE for boat table ‘buyplastic’ brand

the force

Crew Member
Is anyone familiar with this? Apparently it is UV stabilized and ‘marine grade’… I’m always a bit skeptical of Amazon, however the price is right and good reviews (fair bit cheaper than starboard). Plan is to go with 45x20 ish table where I can put the drainage in the corner vs the whole back like the pre-built versions.

Attachments

• 12AE684A-D8DC-4440-8501-9079D4CBBD78.png
    12AE684A-D8DC-4440-8501-9079D4CBBD78.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 36
I actually just got a piece of 1/4" to put on my fish box that is the table top for a rigging station. I've been crazy busy all week and just put it in the garage when it arrived and it's still in the cardboard box....lol I plan on cutting it this week so I'll have a better idea of the quality. For the price even if it's not as good as Starboard it will last me a while and an easy upgrade in the future. You will be using more material with your project though. My top will be about 20X42ish.

Is anyone familiar with this? Apparently it is UV stabilized and ‘marine grade’… I’m always a bit skeptical of Amazon, however the price is right and good reviews (fair bit cheaper than starboard). Plan is to go with 45x20 ish table where I can put the drainage in the corner vs the whole back like the pre-built versions.

Hdpe is just industrial plastic and is close to the same as king starboard. It's used in a lot of machining and engineering applications. All the kids playgrounds which are outdoor usually hdpe.

The king starboard tends to have a bit of a rougher surface for a cutting board. I did some UV testing/salt fog testing on between both of them years ago for one of the products we were testing. I saw zero difference in Hdpe vs the starboard as far as UV stabilizing.

King starboard is remarked Hpde is a bit better, but really it's just a cutting board. Before you order it call some suppliers and see if they have off cuts. I know Plexiglass in Victoria does.

I use the buy when I was working in product development. We sometimes didn't want large amounts in R and D and they seem to always have small pieces. Good luck.

Last edited:
Starboard is UV stable and has a higher tensile strength compared to regular hdpe. With the higher strength, you also get better resistance to stress cracking as well.

HDPE can be effectively immune to UV, depends on the resin and additives. Black will give you the best protection from sun damage. The colour additive blocks the light from getting deep enough into the plastic to cause any trouble. There's probably some differences in the different resin grades as well, I'm not up on all the complexities. I do know the black stuff they make pipe out of is all but bulletproof. It'll live in the sun in the dessert with no damage for years if not decades.

Thanks for the input gents! You've gave me enough confidence to take the plunge, I'll do a mock up this weekend to confirm measurements and hopefully update this thread with some build details in a few weeks.

I built the one for my boat. One of the best things I’ve done on it. It just tilts back.

Attachments

• 378D6B7F-0D1C-4DB3-91C5-DD6943F642DF.jpeg
    378D6B7F-0D1C-4DB3-91C5-DD6943F642DF.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 4134245D-549F-4C3C-8B74-BCFAEA99D3FA.jpeg
    4134245D-549F-4C3C-8B74-BCFAEA99D3FA.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 64
I built the one for my boat. One of the best things I’ve done on it. It just tilts back.
Nice and big! Is that 3/4? I actually noticed it in the other thread where you showed the pic of your stainless weights and wanted to ask about it… I’ll do something similar though offset to one side. You like that small lip at the front edge to keep stuff / water from sliding off?

it’s either 3/4 or 1 inch. I can’t remember but it’s what I had access to at the time. I added that lip afterward cause I kept on getting **** in the boat. Water, slime, guts, fish, bbqs. Haha. I find it helps a lot In sloppy weather.

Back