Have you ever been "trolled out" ?

Mine always fell asleep sitting on my lap at WOT heading back to the launch after a nice day on the water. Oh the good ol’ boat days…
Here’s one of her snoring away as we are waiting our turn to dock.
IMG_9379.jpeg

When I was a kid my dad used to take me over to a reef near Mitlenatch island and send me over the side to dive for abalone. After that I’d make a nest in the bow of our 14 ft tinny and warm up and snooze in the sun while my he trolled for coho. Mitlenatch is a bird sanctuary, thousands of seagulls, and one flew over and laid a big greasy crap right on my bare chest. Startled awake and horrified I flung myself overboard to clean up! I then looked around to see our boat still trolling away from me as I treaded water( no life jacket on of course as this was the ‘60’s) My dad was laughing so hard I could see his shoulders shaking. Finally he pulled himself together and turned the boat around and picked me up. He loved to tell that story to all his fishing buddies.

First trip to Rupert with my oldest and his buddy almost ten years ago now. Weather was perfect and fishing was hot the boys got played out after three or four days of getting up early. Kalum slept for and hour and a half without moving. Still swears he wasn’t sleeping just resting dad.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 52
When I was a kid my dad used to take me over to a reef near Mitlenatch island and send me over the side to dive for abalone. After that I’d make a nest in the bow of our 14 ft tinny and warm up and snooze in the sun while my he trolled for coho. Mitlenatch is a bird sanctuary, thousands of seagulls, and one flew over and laid a big greasy crap right on my bare chest. Startled awake and horrified I flung myself overboard to clean up! I then looked around to see our boat still trolling away from me as I treaded water( no life jacket on of course as this was the ‘60’s) My dad was laughing so hard I could see his shoulders shaking. Finally he pulled himself together and turned the boat around and picked me up. He loved to tell that story to all his fishing buddies.

Nothing better than a boat nap. Some of best sleeps were up in the bow of my old man’s Lund, in a self-made bed of bags, life jackets, and cushions.

Many years ago I took my 3 or 4 year old son out fishing in Deep Cove,saanich inlet in my 12 Ft, tinny and he quickly fell off to sleep in the front.Before long I noticed killer whales moving in and eventually I was surrounded by a super pod that was jumping and smacking tails all around me.I was very concerned about being so close and possibly being bumped overboard. I wasn't sure if I should move or stay put,I just sat and watched.To this day I've never seen so many whales in one place,I'm guessing over 50 whales.I didn't want my son to get scared,so I let him sleep through it all.My wife was not happy with me when I told her.

PA salmon derby I took my 10yr old son out, hooked up just at the wall that was loaded with boats, as I am playing the fish and he was driving he fell asleep at the wheel, suddenly we are running up on the back of another boat so I quickly grab the wheel and correct course, my kid wakes up and gives me shat for steering but had no idea where the fish came from. Insisted he never fell asleep. The other boat were all laughing, good sports.

20 years later close to the same spot, he nods off and some whales saunter by so I wake him up because they are feeding, he insists he was not sleeping just resting his eyes but he has no ide there are whales around. I got him to use his phone and barely warned him to get ready to take some pics, he still had no idea of what when suddenly one comes up about 15 feet from the boat, mouth wide open. He ***** himself but was on camera, he must of said "Holy F***" four times, but didn't deny sleeping after that. He also used the head.

This happened last week. Fog rolled in, chop blew up for a few minutes and kids went slightly green and passed out. 5 mins later I landed this 79.5cm spring during an 80cm slot limit and they didn't hear a thing

Attachments

• IMG_20230801_111308311_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230801_111308311_PORTRAIT.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20230801_172938874.jpg
    PXL_20230801_172938874.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 72
Day 3 of drinking all night, waking up at 430 and trolling around till mid evening.

Some days you gotta keep the pedal to the metal or just take a nap so you can keep going hard at night.

Attachments

• IMG_7226.jpeg
    IMG_7226.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 54
Back