Have Mercury 4 Stokes Improved

Sidneyboy

Thinking about purchasing a new 4 stroke for my 14.6 K&C. I can get a new Mercury 6 hp for 400 dollars cheaper than a new Yamaha 6. Any thoughts would be welcome!!!!!

J

Great thanks for the thought. I am new to the entire boat and fishing thing and have been learning a bunch from you guys! LOL one thing I have learnt really fast is... a free boat is far from free!!!!!

J

I wasn't a fan of Merc's until I bought a used aluminum with a 50 hp Mercury 4-stroke (year 2000). I was so impressed with it that my new boat has 2 brand new Merc 4 strokes on it.

Watch any american fishing show....you'll see a Mercury on the back of most of their boats.

You won't be disappointed with the Yamaha either....they seem to be the most popular so priced accordingly.

I thought those merc 4 strokes are made by yamaha. At least my 1999 9.9 4 stroke is.

I have a 2004 Merc 4 stroke 6 hp for a kicker . Bought new in 2006. Been very happy with it over the past 2 season. It works hard at times and has been a good performer...
Don't think you can go wrong with either Merc or Yammie though...
Just do the regular maintenance and flush them and you're good to go for a long time with luck..

My last merc was nothing but trouble and after 100 hours it crapped out and merc would not come to the party in any way - left me hanging with the rebuild bill caused by one nylon part that failed. Never own another one - ever! I'm running Susuki main power and Yamaha 9.9 HT kicker - stay away from merc at any price.

Back