Harpoon

Gypseas

How long of a rope and what thickness do you guys use on a harpoon set up?
Thanks
vic

Anything less than 3/8 is awfully hard on the hands... SS

You are going to hurt yourself one of these days. A 70 pound halibut on deck with a 16 oz jig and hook flopping around? Not for me, a harpoon and bleed overboard. Nice fish though.

Dan

Not sure if you can even do it any more, but we used to just shoot them when they were lying docile beside the boat like that one in the video did. Had to be careful not to shoot the hook out, but only ever shot the ones bigger than 50 lbs. If I could not get a shot off, we used the big hook and a scotchman, until it was exhausted, then either beat on it or still shot it. Used a 410 with slugs or a 22 short.

I was running around the corner at the top end of Malcolm Island.(there is a big back eddie by Pulteney Pt.)when I saw the top of a boat bumper barley floating above the surface.there was no name or phone number on it so thinking I had found a drifter crab trap from Rough bay I grab it and start hauling.To my surprise I see a 80 lb Halibut hanging on the end and I think oh oh!! Some body set a hot line and I found it.Then I see a spreader bar hanging from the Hallies mouth and then notice it had been harpooned in the head!! We pull er on board and sure enough a huge home made poon head right through the cheeks.Looked like it had been drifting around a while gills all green.They must have pooned the slab and just tossed the float overboard and no way was it close enough in size to float that thrashing slab!!I can just imagine the owners running around for hours hoping to see the bumper come to surface like in Jaws.Was a shame it was a nice fish and must have been the first one this crew pooned .I tie my poon line to a cleat and have never lost on yet.I also have the shark hook and the poon al set up when Hallie fishing!!Cause when it happens things get kinda intense!!! I love it!!!
kronic

When do you cut the tail, while it is swimming by the boat?
Guess it will not be happy with somebody touching its tail
quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Bringing a 140 over the side sent 4 of my guests running to the V-berth, it was a riot. Cut and break the tail, the thing will die instantly.

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

When do you cut the tail, while it is swimming by the boat?
Guess it will not be happy with somebody touching its tail
quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Bringing a 140 over the side sent 4 of my guests running to the V-berth, it was a riot. Cut and break the tail, the thing will die instantly.

No, I did it in the boat, SLICE and break it's back bone. I odn't think you'd be able to do it in the water.

my Dad built a flying gaff with a shark hook and it's got a loop you can tie too, those shark hooks mean business having one on the end of a gaff might make it a little easier for a guy to sink that hook but you made that look easy. nice

Sweet vids is right! Next year i wanna get a cam and put something like that together. Where you using a digital cam or a vid cam?

Back