harpoon tip

dwflyrod

what is the best choice for a halibut harpoon dart

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both both arrowhead and dart heads, they both work well.
I know some guys have had trouble with the dart tip pulling back out,
but it's a matter of shot placement and getting the head all the way through.

Does anyone know where someone can get the dual arrow harpoon tips?

Can't seem to find them in Victoria.

I have both both arrowhead and dart heads, they both work well.
I know some guys have had trouble with the dart tip pulling back out,
but it's a matter of shot placement and getting the head all the way through.

This is legit.
Also,no need to throw the harpoon like ya see in the movies,you will miss the target(for me the gut).
Hold a few inches above the fish,and poke it THROUGH.

Much prefer the "spear point" harpoon head. Drive it through the fish and it turns so that it is impossible to pull it out. (unless you stick it through the guts instead of the gills) But it must be needle sharp.

Its harder to push the eastern arrowhead (also called a spearfish harpoon) poon tip in, and its Much easier to pull out because of its smaller size

(ya- I know that a bunch of guys here do not agree-- but you are wrong!!!! LOL)

First post on this site...

Best thing I have found with the new size restrictions is to use a shark hook with a dock line attached to it. Just slip the tip into the hali's mouth, which is wide open at the surface, and pull up. Its a glorified gaff but makes the job pretty easy.

First post on this site...

Best thing I have found with the new size restrictions is to use a shark hook with a dock line attached to it. Just slip the tip into the hali's mouth, which is wide open at the surface, and pull up. Its a glorified gaff but makes the job pretty easy.

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg
yup spun them up on the lathe, I think i bored them to 11/32" to fit on a 5/16" shaft
then hand ground the bullet tip to a triangle tip (same as a suture needle, it cuts rather then stretching the skin to get through)

ive since laced them up with 7x19 1/8" 304 ss wire rope and a few nicopress sleeves. (very flexable)

Last edited by a moderator:
I spin mine out on a lathe. 7/8" 316 Stainless Steel round bar tapered with a 1/8" hole drilled, on the fulcrum point, for your tether line and a counter sunk 3/8" on the end for your rod to be inserted. Its weight and size makes penetration easy and subdues the fish quickly if landed in the right place.

fixit, do you need my address for shipping? how muchy for say 5 or ten? i may know a few hali hunters that will like em....

I have an 8-10' bullet one.. haven't had a chance to stick a halibut with it, but I don't see it coming loose as it is twice as long as the standard bullet tips.

Back