Halibut quota ideas?

Trend he is right on the accountability issue...they do keep better records on their catch. You still have to count to stay within the limits set by the IPHC. I do agree with you that the allocation isn't fair for us and that the quota system benefits the already deep pockets of JP at the expense of the licensed guys trying to earn a living.

The absolute last thing that DFO and the Commies want is 100% accurate Halibut catch numbers on the sport side where every fish landed is actually counted. If there was there would no longer be spin points to be made for PR purposes by the commie lobbyists and no more over estimations of the sport catch for political purposes.

Last summer was the first year that we did not see any survey guys all summer at my Marina in Sooke checking Salmon but when Halibut season opened they were living at the Esq Angler’s ramp for the prime spring Halibut Season. Looks like they were re-tasked to focus on Halibut. Surprise, surprise our catch numbers suddenly went way up despite the fact that the numbers of anglers has dropped and our marina’s are increasingly empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
The numbers went way up because they did a fly over to count boats on the day of the Outfitters Halibut derby. They then applied that number of boats and effort to each day of the month.(s)

The idea to not harvest large fish is to slow the fishery down, extend the season, and stay within an allocation. It is no being designed to protect spawners. And yes the commercial sector does have a different view on conservation. It's called proper accounting and staying within an allocation.

What do you say we make that commercial allocation 15% and see how much you like staying within it.

The numbers went way up because they did a fly over to count boats on the day of the Outfitters Halibut derby. They then applied that number of boats and effort to each day of the month.(s)

It really does look like the fix was in to try and take off some of the political heat from their botched allocation policy.

If the slot goes through, I hope I don't have to go though the heart break of releasing a large slab. Maybe Dfo should teach the public angler safe release techniques. I think the first thing to do is cut the weight off spreader bar. Maybe then I will try the alcohol squirt bottle in the mouth and gills to sedate it. Might be a good idea to have an assortment of long nose pliers and side cutters to get out the hook. Not using trebles this year if this slot exists. Still can't believe it was voted in by sfab. I support their efforts in our fisheries, but this one not so much

I am hearing rumblings (sources to remain anonymous) that even DFO is not that happy with a Halibut 60lb size limit and it is starting to look like it may not be accepted. Apparently it is being considered to be an enforcement nightmare.

You guy's are being way to soft on the commercial guy's. Accountability with only something like 20% of the film in their so called "full" monitoring camera's being looked at. You think DFO has the time to look at them just like they have the time to look at us. Give your head's a shake. The commercial sector pay's off DFO period. It's all about who has the biggest brown envelope. Don't give in to Fish4all or any of the undercover commies on here. Educate yourselves. It's all bull *****.

Sculpin take a bit of your own advice and educate yourself. You are some what mistaken about the monitoring requirements. AMR only looks at 10% of the video. but there is more to it than that.

1) before leaving the dock i have to get an AMR tech down to make sure my camera and sensors are working properly. He supplies me with a confirmation number.
2) I have to get another number from AMR/DFO that says I have no overages on my license
3) I phone AMR provide the two numbers above and receive a hail out number that i record in my log book
4) the hail out includes date and time of departure, species being targeted, area to be fished, date of return, port of return, and anticipated buyer
5) as we set we have to write down the lat,long of all the ends we put in the water,time/date, number of hooks set and bait used
6) when we haul every fish is recorded by the camera, as well i have to write all kept and released fish in my log book,date/time of haul.
7) when leaving the grounds we phone in and report port of delivery, buyer, date/tiem of arrival and catch on board
8) at the dock i am greeted by a AMR tech that removes the hard drive from the computer, there are a minimum of 2 people counting every fish that comes off the boat, every halibut is tagged, and the boat inspected by AMR at the end of the off load
9) the AMR dock staff then take my log book pages, add up every fish i recorded and check it against the number of fish they counted on the off load.
10) if I am out by 10% in any species(some rockfish are blended) in those counts I am tied to the dock until the issue is resolved
11) my video is sent to the office where they generate random set numbers, watch the video and record the fish kept and released on those sets. They also take the gps data lay it over a chart and can tell where i was fishing. if I was in any closed areas, number of sets, how far my gear drifted in the tide, the works. it is basically a track line from the moment i leave the dock.
12) they take their accounting from the video and match it against the same set in my log book and score us on a scale of 1-10 for accuracy. If I am out 10% again on any species by set I get a phone call to discuss and if AMR is not satisfied I pay for more of my sets to be audited against the log book.

For this program I pay $1000-$2000/yr (it changes every year) for a registration fee
the equipment from AMR (camera,sensors ect) $9000 to buy or $175/day to rent
roughly $1500/ trip for the unload monitoring, video watching and data collecting (this can increase if your logbook is not accurate.)

Total for us this year as we rent a camera $6000-$7000

The idea to not harvest large fish is to slow the fishery down, extend the season, and stay within an allocation. It is no being designed to protect spawners. And yes the commercial sector does have a different view on conservation. It's called proper accounting and staying within an allocation.
Wonder if the proper accounting you speak of is government mandated because you are a multi million dollar commercial industry of about 150 people harvesting 85% of the resource. I'm sure you'll agree outfitting every sport fishing vessel is with a camera is impractical,stupid.How many vessels would that be???
The only way to increase control would be more DFO presence at every launch and marina. That would cost money but perhaps could be funded through reselling the quota of the settee skippers! One last question, if you guys are so good at accounting why have the cameras?

Fish I have only one question so you have to pay 7 grand but YOU have a quarenteed season for us sporties its ?????????????????? and more??????????

so you can plan every year to know you have a season, and out of it how much are you going to profit from it 100,000 grand maybe lots more!!!!! im a betting man and i bet its alot more than that so 7 grand is a fart in a wind storm its gone as qiuickly and its been dropped,
And trust me i respect a true commercial fisherman WHO fishes and works on his boat and goes out ON HIS boat. that has never been a doubt in my mind..

Wolf

Cool, so you are allowed an overage of up to 10%. So as a whole, with 6,000,000 lbs, you folks are allowed to catch up to 600,000 as an overage, or as a buffer if you will. Or more hten half the total rec quota. That seems fair.

I think that they are able to go over up to 10 percent but that overage is deducted from the next years quota. They can also go under by up to 10 percent that carry over is added to the next years quota. It kind of makes good sense since it would be hard to get an exact weight every trip

Our fight is not with the active commercial fisherman, it's with the slipper skippers.
Fish4all has tried to educate us and unless things have changed agrees with us on the slipper skippers.
Perhaps he can confirm......
GLG

I don't think he wants to see cameras on every sport boat but there are counting measures that are practical that would be an improvement on what is done now. Put aside the allocation debate on this for a second. Even if that was stricken down tomorrow and we had our full season back at 2-3. Should we still not look at better ways to monitor what we take to ensure we wouldn't slip down to long periods of restrictions to correct some overfishing? They are 2 separate issues, you can agree with better monitoring and not quota.

Sculpin take a bit of your own advice and educate yourself. You are some what mistaken about the monitoring requirements. AMR only looks at 10% of the video. but there is more to it than that.

1) before leaving the dock i have to get an AMR tech down to make sure my camera and sensors are working properly. He supplies me with a confirmation number.
2) I have to get another number from AMR/DFO that says I have no overages on my license
3) I phone AMR provide the two numbers above and receive a hail out number that i record in my log book
4) the hail out includes date and time of departure, species being targeted, area to be fished, date of return, port of return, and anticipated buyer
5) as we set we have to write down the lat,long of all the ends we put in the water,time/date, number of hooks set and bait used
6) when we haul every fish is recorded by the camera, as well i have to write all kept and released fish in my log book,date/time of haul.
7) when leaving the grounds we phone in and report port of delivery, buyer, date/tiem of arrival and catch on board
8) at the dock i am greeted by a AMR tech that removes the hard drive from the computer, there are a minimum of 2 people counting every fish that comes off the boat, every halibut is tagged, and the boat inspected by AMR at the end of the off load
9) the AMR dock staff then take my log book pages, add up every fish i recorded and check it against the number of fish they counted on the off load.
10) if I am out by 10% in any species(some rockfish are blended) in those counts I am tied to the dock until the issue is resolved
11) my video is sent to the office where they generate random set numbers, watch the video and record the fish kept and released on those sets. They also take the gps data lay it over a chart and can tell where i was fishing. if I was in any closed areas, number of sets, how far my gear drifted in the tide, the works. it is basically a track line from the moment i leave the dock.
12) they take their accounting from the video and match it against the same set in my log book and score us on a scale of 1-10 for accuracy. If I am out 10% again on any species by set I get a phone call to discuss and if AMR is not satisfied I pay for more of my sets to be audited against the log book.

For this program I pay $1000-$2000/yr (it changes every year) for a registration fee
the equipment from AMR (camera,sensors ect) $9000 to buy or $175/day to rent
roughly $1500/ trip for the unload monitoring, video watching and data collecting (this can increase if your logbook is not accurate.)

Total for us this year as we rent a camera $6000-$7000

I WONDER WHY YOU COMMIES ARE MONITORED SO CLOSELY?? history?

Fish4all, a question. Do you find the extra monitoring an expense and inconvenience that annoys you or one that you understand has to be there? Just curious.

commrcial fishing for halibut or other species is not a real git rich scheme it is however a nice life style; with the cost of a decent boat plus cost of
a quota that one can use to make a decent living money is probaly better in the bank drawing interest; with cost of obserbers and cameras taking most of profits away deckhand costs also new gear and bait costs; its only the love of the sea and fishing that keeps fishermen on the job; not just the few bucks in it. where once we could fish 100000 lbs its now down to 60000 but the expences are the same, most slipper skippers are now gone replaced by native bands; in order to have rockfish fisheries sustainable halibut leasing must be available for these fisheries most is supplyed by native bands; fishing is a good way of life but not an easy one; we have to put up with a lot of ********

I have some commercial fishing buddies and one who is only 26 was telling me on the dragger alone his deckhands can make $100,000 alone per year and if your fishing Hali you make a hell of a lot more. Don't bs

commrcial fishing for halibut or other species is not a real git rich scheme it is however a nice life style; with the cost of a decent boat plus cost of
a quota that one can use to make a decent living money is probaly better in the bank drawing interest; with cost of obserbers and cameras taking most of profits away deckhand costs also new gear and bait costs; its only the love of the sea and fishing that keeps fishermen on the job; not just the few bucks in it. where once we could fish 100000 lbs its now down to 60000 but the expences are the same, most slipper skippers are now gone replaced by native bands; in order to have rockfish fisheries sustainable halibut leasing must be available for these fisheries most is supplyed by native bands; fishing is a good way of life but not an easy one; we have to put up with a lot of ********

If you're just doing it for the love of the sea, join the navy. LOL.

I have some commercial fishing buddies and one who is only 26 was telling me on rockfish alone his deckhands can make $100,000 alone per year and if your fishing Hali you make a hell of a lot more. Don't bs

Dave those #s are way off. I have a few buddies who longline rocks, ling and Hali, they make nowhere close to that.

I have some commercial fishing buddies and one who is only 26 was telling me on rockfish alone his deckhands can make $100,000 alone per year and if your fishing Hali you make a hell of a lot more. Don't bs

Hahahhaahahaha yeah right. Hes telling you stories. Ive fished before for a lot of years on a lot of different boats. Theres no 100 grand rockfish deckhand jobs. Anywhere. Ever.

Back