Halibut Questions

c-dawg

I have a couple questions concerning halibut fishing:

1. What is the preferred style of weight for drift fishing? Cannon ball? Cod weights?

2. If you anchor for hali, how long do you sit in a spot before moving? Or do you pick a spot and just sit throughout a tide change and call it good?

Thanks.

For anchoring we normally just sit till we get them or we get bored waiting, typically if were fishing salmon and halibut we go target our salmon and then when we have had enough or caught our limits we go and target our bottom fish until we get tired or it gets rough or we just want to head in for the day!

Stick and stay and make it pay. Lay down your scent trail and wait. You keep moving around and unless you drop it on their head your just wasting your time. We use spreader bars or cod jigs.

To answer your questions= Smooth bottom use a large mudraker/pipe jig lure. Grabby bottom, up and over reefs= 1 kg ball and coathanger rig.

As for anchoring depends where you are=

I have bank edges, slopes, holes and flats that I stay all day as long as tide allows, will pull anchor move around to reposition correctly when tide does a 180 turn and moves me off position.

I also have special places, large banks that I know where there are a few large boulders on, travel gullies, edges below cliffs, or special GPS marks that have held fish before, I will spend an hour getting boat anchored in perfect spot for these places.

Then no matter where you fish, on anchor or drifting, give in to their sences, smell, sound and sight. Cover all, bang bottom, use fresh good bait and a colour that works.(glow, UV or both) Good luck, you will get them.

HM

Back