Halibut motion from Area 14 SFAC

Time now, I hope for us all to move forward

Agree Pat. More important things to work on.
Bryan

Thanks Ray got it clear now. Missed the meeting awhile back so was totally out of the picture. Trying to understand some of these rules are unreal. I'm really concerned about our current and future fishery I'd definately hang my hat if every Slipper Skipper gave up there Quota. Besides you know how many Halis we kill in our neck of the woods LOL. Time to start fishin soon can't wait! Oh yeh Beat it Troll.

It would seem its time for the commercial lodges and guides to have there their own % of the TAC . Like commercial fishers they need access to fish to earn money ,

It would seem its time for the commercial lodges and guides to have there their own % of the TAC . Like commercial fishers they need access to fish to earn money ,

I agree,

And it should come right out of the commercial fishermans pocket!

It should be based on revenue generated to the province, jobs created and benefit to canadian citizens as a whole. There for it should be a 24-33-33 split. Commie-G/O-REC. SOund like a plan there mr com fisher?

I agree,

And it should come right out of the commercial fishermans pocket!

It should be based on revenue generated to the province, jobs created and benefit to canadian citizens as a whole. There for it should be a 24-33-33 split. Commie-G/O-REC. SOund like a plan there mr com fisher?

Nice one Lorne!!:D

Well, I'm hoping that the motion gets some editing before it is officially presented.
Little things like the 2112 date make it worthless in the Govt. eyes.

How can you put a value on something when you don't know the number of participants or the amount landed?

Really, you actually read it????
Further, are you a member of the SFAB? If so where is your motion??

Well, I'm hoping that the motion gets some editing before it is officially presented.
Little things like the 2112 date make it worthless in the Govt. eyes.

Quite simple, recreational fishing puts a lot of cash into the whole economy. Commercial fishery puts a majority of the cash into very few bank accounts.

How can you put a value on something when you don't know the number of participants or the amount landed?

I don't dispute recreational fishing provides economic activity. I am unsure how you do the math when most of the basic numbers are missing.

They know. Was out the weekend before last in a friends boat Halibut fishing and we managed to get one 21 lbs. When we got back to Esquimalt anglers DFO’s surveyor (Hugo) was waiting at the dock to measure our halibut.

Fish 4 All raises the issue repeatedly and a few others because as a commie lobbyist the idea is to raise doubt and discredit the sport fishing sector in terms of accountability in order to defend against fairer allocations of fishery resources between sectors. In short he does not want to see the 85/15 commercial/sport halibut allocation become 70/30 or a whole new fairer system for sport Halibut allocation put in place.

437 vs 250000 + those are the numbers that I am looking at.

I don't dispute recreational fishing provides economic activity. I am unsure how you do the math when most of the basic numbers are missing.

Not what is caught but what money is contributed to the economy. I am looking at how little money gets to the public coffers from the few commies versus the sportsman. Very few are profiting from a lot.

exactly 250,000 x ???

Not what is caught but what money is contributed to the economy. I am looking at how little money gets to the public coffers from the few commies versus the sportsman. Very few are profiting from a lot.

not that i agree or disagree but do you mind posting your facts. maybe on a new thread as it is off topic.

Agreed but you did follow me, so you were trolled. LOL.

not that i agree or disagree but do you mind posting your facts. maybe on a new thread as it is off topic.

Sport Fishing occurs in both tidal and fresh waters throughout the province. A major tourist attraction for both domestic and foreign tourism markets - the sector supports about 7,700 jobs. Sport fishing generates $288 million a year in GDP.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/omfd/fishstats/sport/index.html

In 2010, groundfish species made up 56 per cent of the commercial harvest by volume and 34 per cent by value for a total of $111.9 million. Of that Commercial Halibut landed value in 2010 was $37.5 million.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/omfd/fishstats/capture/index.html
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/omfd/fishstats/graphs-tables/groundfish.html#landed

FYI... it actually took longer to cut & paste the information, than it did to "Google" and find the answer! :)

Thanks Charlie this was what I was refering to. I am not able to find the facts and bring them up like you do.

Thanks Charlie this was what I was refering to. I am not able to find the facts and bring them up like you do.
You are welcome, I have been watching this for awhile... any time you (or anyone) needs "accurate" numbers, just give me a shout - I'll do my best! Now, can we go back to the topic! :)

Back