Halibut fishing from a kayak around Victoria / South Island

Why is that? Are Halibut only big?
No they are not all big..
I catch them all sizes in 220 to 320 feet of water in open water.
Yes, you can fish em shallow in sheltered spots but your success rate will range from slim to none.
A friend got a 50 pounder once while watching his crab traps soak in less than 100'
No doubt some of the regular kayakers off Otter Point may have lucked into the odd one but it would be a rare occasion.

I would try halibut fishing at Jordon River. As long as there are not large swells coming in you can put in at the river and travel a Kl +- out from the river mouth to about 60 feet deep. I've fished this area numerous times (anchored) and caught halibut in less than 50 feet deep. Fishing the ebb works best. Just be quit, you are not fishing that deep and any boat banging can be hear by the fish.
Jordon River is closed to all fishing all summer.

Gone Fishing, thanks for pointing that out.

But I cannot find where it says no halibut fishing in 20-3 20-4 and the closure only relates to no salmon fishing. even when you look at the DFO map the yellow section notes no salmon fishing. I think it read the same in the summer months?

I haven't been halibut fishing in those areas for a few years so things might have changed. If you could help show me were the DFO site notes it's closed, I can post it up at the dock.

From the DFO site:
Juan de Fuca Strait:
In Subareas 20-3 and 20-4, there will be no fishing for salmon (including Recreational and Commercial fisheries) from August 1, 2021 until October 31, 2021.

Any help is appreciated, because the DFO site is not great for searching things.

But I cannot find where it says no halibut fishing in 20-3 20-4 and the closure only relates to no salmon fishing. even when you look at the DFO map the yellow section notes no salmon fishing. I think it read the same in the summer months?

I haven't been halibut fishing in those areas for a few years so things might have changed. If you could help show me were the DFO site notes it's closed, I can post it up at the dock.

From the DFO site:
Juan de Fuca Strait:
In Subareas 20-3 and 20-4, there will be no fishing for salmon (including Recreational and Commercial fisheries) from August 1, 2021 until October H

From the DFO site:
Juan de Fuca Strait:
In Subareas 20-3 and 20-4, there will be no fishing for salmon (including Recreational and Commercial fisheries) from August 1, 2021 until October 31, 2021.

Any help is appreciated, because the DFO site is not great for searching things.
I agree. DFO has it's regulations and then special noticed the change everything in specific locations.
My understanding is for the last few years all fin fishing from Sheringham to East point was closed for most of the summer. There will be someone on this site who knows for sure. Hopefully we will hear from someone who know for sure!

No they are not all big..
I catch them all sizes in 220 to 320 feet of water in open water.
Yes, you can fish em shallow in sheltered spots but your success rate will range from slim to none.
A friend got a 50 pounder once while watching his crab traps soak in less than 100'
No doubt some of the regular kayakers off Otter Point may have lucked into the odd one but it would be a rare occasion.
Thank you!

there are strong ebb tides and shallow at the corner of William Head. Easy to snag the rocks with lures. don't go there. Stay safe.
Many years ago when there was still a cannery in Namu, I saw a guy in a dugout canoe, and not a big one, bring in a Hali around 70 pounds! The guy said it dragged him around for about two hours before he got a rope around it’s tail to drag it into the beach.

Certainly there are a few close to shore areas where you could fish halibut from a canoe in perfect conditions in shallow water.
but around Southern Vancouver Island the places where experienced and halibut guided fishermen catch them are generally in 200 to 350' of water where the wind can come up in a flash and tides change quickly. So if you really want to fish halibut from a canoe, pick your days, tides and area carefully and good luck.
When on the water always play it safe!

Doesn’t sound like you’re a fisherman. It’s a great way to get back to the basics. And really fun.
lol
over 50 years of fishing teaches you a lot. First and for most is don't ever under estimate the power of mother nature!
Fishing halibut in the waters of Southern Vancouver Island is high risk if you are serious about it and want to fish them where you have a decent chance of catching one.

Doesn’t sound like you’re a fisherman. It’s a great way to get back to the basics. And really fun.
If you are hell bent on fishing halibut around Southern Vancouver Island, from your kayak try around the crab pots off Sidney Spit, {the safest spot once you get there} off Kelp Reef, Zero Rock, Ten Mile, back side of Chatham - Discovery, the end of Discovery, the flats, off Albert Head, Pedder Bay, Beecher Bay, Sooke Bluffs, Otter Point, Third Rock, Muir Creek to mention a few.
I or someone I know have caught halibut in all these spots, but never from a kayak.
Stay safe, good luck and be sure to post your success!

If it’s on your to do list, you have the experience and equipment then go for it. But do it safely like the guy in video above. He had friends in big boats near by that were not on anchor, close and involved.
It’s unlikely you will catch one as easily around here as the guy in video. It’s not that easy here.

Surely you are not serious?
Fishing halibut from a kayak would be a waste of time at best and tragic at worse!
Catching a halibut from a kayak would be no problem at all. Actual fishing kayaks are self bailing. They can fall off a truck at 80kph and still float. Flip it in the water 10 times and never sink. Just need a harpoon. Its becoming commonly done now.

Last edited:
Back