Halibut fishing etiquette

Roberth

Crew Member
Three trips in a row I have had someone come up and anchor 500ft behind me. Last time it was another guide!
i could tell by his reaction when I came up beside him and spoke to him about it that he knew exactly what he was doing.
I told him if he does it again I am going to pull up anchor and drop it 100 ft behind his boat.

Three trips in a row I have had someone come up and anchor 500ft behind me. Last time it was another guide!
i could tell by his reaction when I came up beside him and spoke to him about it that he knew exactly what he was doing.
I told him if he does it again I am going to pull up anchor and drop it 100 ft behind his boat.
Pics? Guides name? This post is right on schedule hahaha

Directly downstream in someone's wake..yes. Not from a safety standpoint but from putting his gear in the front boats scent trail.

Is 500’ too close? That’s almost 2 football fields away.
Was thinking that also. Given the range of swing and distance astern it must be tough when it gets more crowded to give everyone the space they want or need?

Being that close directly in the scent line is kind of poor etiquette. Different boats will swing on anchor a bit differently due to wind and draft too.

Just wait it will get worse now that there is no retention. I must admit though that some guides day in and day out must come to the spot they plan on anchoring only to find someone else anchored on it. It’s still a Dirty move to set up right in someone’s trail. I just wouldn’t expect the charter to spend a bunch of time looking for a different spot, the guide knows or thinks that’s the place for the conditions of the day. Honestly I think a lot of guys just head out and anchor near the guide boats or pin the spots so they can anchor on them another time.

The golden rule, treat others how you would like to be treated.
Otherwise it's a quick race to the bottom.
How hard would it be to anchor at a 45* angle instead of directly behind?
Most places not too hard and probably worth not getting named and shamed for questionable etiquette.

Wait until this weekend......mud hole to Constance is gonna be a parking lot!

I had 2 guides sandwich me off of bamfield few yrs ago..... Close enough that I could read the #s off both boats.... 40 minutes later I was going home with the 60 pounder..... If ur lucky ur lucky
Its a big ocean..... Some ppl just ignorint.

Being that close directly in the scent line is kind of poor etiquette. Different boats will swing on anchor a bit differently due to wind and draft too.
I agree, in a perfect world with a large area and no other boats, it’s pretty easy to provide space. As you say though boats swing on anchor differently so it may also contribute to you crossing someone’s stern. Where I think it gets dicey is when everyone shows up on what’s essentially a good anchorage area, let’s face it anyone who can read a chart can end up there. I’m all for etiquette so curious as to what reasonable expectations people have.

we'll if its going to be a guide boats are mean show I can share a **** pile of sportie boats be total dicks on the water story"s when it comes to when we are anchored all by are selves & poof a **** show happens... :)

if you can see them on your radar you're too close!! GPS the coordinates and leave earlier the next morning!....lol

no matter what fishermen hate seeing other boats around! Just get out and have fun!

Last edited:
To bad really , every year your starting to see more and more dissention between sport boats and the guides, these stupid salmon closures have put so much pressure on them to produce they do things they normally would never do , we do need each other !!!!! , but i can see the day where the guides will probably will be forced to buy quota and really hate the sporties

As you noted 500 ft behind you is not a safety issue. He probably planned to fish same spot and when found you there he anchored safely as close to spot as possible.
I’d prefer that to the guy that anchors unsafely beside or in front of me which happens far too often.
If you want area to your self maybe pick a less popular spot.
I tend to go to further spots when weather allows me. At mid hole and west Constance I expect to be around others.

we'll if its going to be a guide boats are mean show I can share a **** pile of sportie boats be total dicks on the water story"s when it comes to when we are anchored all by are selves & poof a **** show happens... :)
The point here is that guides should be held to a higher standard. They are the professionals and their behaviour on the water should be the golden standard. I expect any other sports professional to stand out on the field as well in comparison to some amateur goof around wanna-be.

In Tofino we used to do what we called a super set where a few guides would set up in a tight diamond pattern and took turns being the back boat. Once the back boat got his halis the other boats would get them quick as the pack moved in. Was a lot of fun!

gonna have to have your bumpers out when the border openes!

The point here is that guides should be held to a higher standard. They are the professionals and their behaviour on the water should be the golden standard. I expect any other sports professional to stand out on the field as well in comparison to some amateur goof around wanna-be.
I hear what your saying and it is always 1 or 2 in a group & if u get the name of the outfit then a quick email or call letting them know.. the problem is just becauses i have a C number on my boat doesnt mean I su
hould be targeted & we deserve equal respect .. over the last 3 years its became a **** show with bad acting sportie boats ( Beaks) ..Either they dont know or just dont care but there is a whole ocean out there .. asked a guy last year if i could fire a humburger up for him because he anchored so close... so it works both ways.. My favorite day is when I'm works with 3 or 4 other boats and that gives me the room i need ....

Back