Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery Program

yammy5

The experimental halibut fishery will test a market-based mechanism that allows an experimental licence holder to acquire additional halibut quota from the commercial sector to fish for recreational purposes, and to test enhanced catch monitoring of such a fishery. Harvesters can obtain an experimental licence, on a voluntary basis, that will allow the licence holder to lease halibut quota from commercial harvesters, thereby giving them certainty for business planning purposes.

Details are on the website: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut-fletan/index-eng.htm

The experimental halibut fishery will test a market-based mechanism that allows an experimental licence holder to acquire additional halibut quota from the commercial sector to fish for recreational purposes, and to test enhanced catch monitoring of such a fishery. Harvesters can obtain an experimental licence, on a voluntary basis, that will allow the licence holder to lease halibut quota from commercial harvesters, thereby giving them certainty for business planning purposes.

Details are on the website: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut-fletan/index-eng.htm

And both the North and South Coast SFAB's heard the presentation from DFO and then told them where to stuff their proposed plan which will only make the commies selling the quota richer at our expense. Its the thin edge of the wedge guys-- dont go there. We will end up with a divided recreational fishery.......

This is just an attempt to line the pockets of the rich halibut barons (otherwise known as slipper skippers) and privatize the fishery even more than it already is. ALL QUOTA HELD BY NON FISHING ENTITIES SHOULD BE RESCINDED AND DIVIDED EQUITABLY BETWEEN FIRST NATIONS, WORKING COMMERCIAL FISHERS, AND THE SPORTS FISHING COMMUNITY . As for this "test fishery" I have 2 words in response - care to guess what they would be?

H.E.H.

If you got the money you can fish bull sh---how about the kids and other Canadians that just want to fish...

Its my understanding that OBMG , as part of the Halibut Coalition has also told DFO to put it where the sun dont shine. Perhaps Chris Bos can confirm this???

I want to know how much money it cost to set up such an experimental fishery?
I'm thinking the hours and resources spent would creep into the millions of dollars...
Money like that could of simply be used to lease/buyback permanent quota
It amazes me how idiotic the top levels of DFO really are and when you don't have accountability...what stupid ideas you are aloud to come up with...

Tamee Mawani
One person I personally hold responsible plus others in actually allowing this to go through.....
She should post a public apology for supporting such an absurd experimental fishery...

Here is her e-mail....
tameezan.mawani@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
everyone should get in contact with her and ask the appropriate questions and tell her what you think
her e-mail is of public interest and is disclosed on the dfo website.

What about starting a campaign to get 1000's of us sporty's to fill out the form, but do what Poppa Swiss did and use the form to tell them how @#$%'ing disinterested we are in this corrupt proogram? I'm up for it!

It would be a pretty easy way to get the message across. Everyone is already on the net, Its a quick couple of minutes and it would go directly to the people who need to see it. I'm all for it. Poppa, could you please detail the signup info and the area to fill out?

I haven't looked at the form (maybe I should do that first)

Done. Completed the form withthis one line expression of interest:

"None, Stuff your experimental fishery and DFO buy backquota from slipper skippers like you should"

here is my response...

why would I as a recreational fisherman, want to pay a commercial fisherman for quota that he was given for FREE!!!
You need to fix this missallocation of our common resourse NOW!! This pilot program is nothing more than a slap in the face to recreational fishermen all over Canada..

It is like this Yammy, I take your car from you and "give" it to a rental agency and let them rent it out and not give you a dime. Then later when you are asking for some time with your car then I offer you to rent the car at a premium price so you can have what is really yours. How does that sound? Not too good eh? This is why we are all like hornets, mad as hell and looking to sting something like politicians!

Only problem I see with submitting a request would be DFO now say’s “We have had hundreds of requests come in about the program”. If we say BS lets see them, they would say sorry privacy rules say we can’t show you. Personally I don’t think it’s a good idea. Wait for the dog and pony show coming to a town near you and attend, then tell them what you think.

GLG has a point..... To answer another question, I talked to Chris Bos to confirm that OBMG will NOT be acquiring quota.. That is affirmative Not only that, but anyone who shows up at any of their operations holding "recreational" quota will be asked to leave!!! They are dead set against it...

I have to agree with GLG. Having dealt with politico's for a long time they are not above lying through statistics. And he is accurate about the privacy approach. We have to be careful how we approach this or it could end up biting us in the arse. If they receive thousands of replies all they have to do is say so. They would not be lying. And they would not have to detail the contents of those replies. Hell I'd be surprised if anyone even actually looks at them the way computers are designed to sort information now-a-days. The system could be designed to simply count replies in which case all we're doing is giving the enemy ammunition and asking them to shoot us with it.

It's also great to see the big boys like OBMG standing firm against this BS. When big business starts to stand against the government it makes way more impact than "just a bunch of irate fishermen".

Back