Halibut: Bad News

BUt how is it different then any other business is my question. WHat exactly is the "over head"? other then the obvious (boat, gear etc)? is there something i am missing?

I mean if you are grossing 80k a year(which is low IMO if you are well established.), im not sure how you arent making money with the "overhead" i envision? Even you got a new boat every 5 years i have trouble getting it. I mean you only work 6 months of the year.

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 I have a friend who does from Rupert and man he puts in the hours! I also understand the teacher's dilemma, my father was a teacher, my ex wife is a teacher and I work as an instructor for the local college.

Guides, like teachers, do not only work part time. They work beyond the hours listed for a Charter.

Guides, like teachers, chose their own path.
If it's not working out for you, get out and move on.
In a global recession like this do you really think you deserve support if you have a full time job and want a 15% raise.
Cry me a river.

there are a million expenses for guides especially with the cost of fuel
you can buy 150k boat but if you cant get clients to pay u will never make it its not so easy getting clients especially ones that will return year after year
80K A year is pretty dam good i would say with the price of fuel being 1.50 per litre in most places and is expected to hit that this summer you can minus 30% from that 80k just for fuel
maybe some guides look like their doing really well but if you look at the last stat a large percentage of canadian are living with 100k credit card/line of credit and other debt
if the guide was lucky enough take 50k home from the 80k each year that isnt awesome money when you have a family and mortgage especially if you have to teenage daughters that dont work and want new iphones ( and your daughters dont work) just saying I dont have kids

overhead is moorage fuel maintenance mechanic is 100.00 an hour boat motors are just insane to buy
good rule of thumb is for every 10 horse power add 1000.00$$$
if you dont live where you guide then you have to rent a place plus food its not like you cant eat during the guide season so save money

I am not crying tortuga and comments like that only divide, is that what you desire?

Any time you want you can get off, nobody is holding you!

there are a million expenses for guides especially with the cost of fuel
you can buy 150k boat but if you cant get clients to pay u will never make it its not so easy getting clients especially ones that will return year after year
80K A year is pretty dam good i would say with the price of fuel being 1.50 per litre in most places and is expected to hit that this summer you can minus 30% from that 80k just for fuel
maybe some guides look like their doing really well but if you look at the last stat a large percentage of canadian are living with 100k credit card/line of credit and other debt
if the guide was lucky enough take 50k home from the 80k each year that isnt awesome money when you have a family and mortgage especially if you have to teenage daughters that dont work and want new iphones ( and your daughters dont work) just saying I dont have kids

overhead is moorage fuel maintenance mechanic is 100.00 an hour boat motors are just insane to buy
good rule of thumb is for every 10 horse power add 1000.00$$$
if you dont live where you guide then you have to rent a place plus food its not like you cant eat during the guide season so save money

Those are business expenses. Maybe some people need a clarification of what "overhead" really means? Fuel is not overhead. Maitenance is not over head. Morrage is not overhead. Those are direct expenses. Gear and a boat are not over head. Those are capital expenditures. Which you can amortize. And they are assets! Which some of the cost can be written off tax free! Maybe i could sit down with a few of you and show you how to build a business plan?

If a guy works 6 months of the year and makes 50k doing what he loves, Id say thats not too fricking shabby. He has the other 6 months to do something else and make more money, or not.

What happens in most businesses that go under and guiding is not different, Is the skills you have that make you good at your job, are not usually the same skills it takes to run a successful business.

u have business degree Lorne?

i have to agree with you that might not be overhead i should have stated that I was just trying to show that is isnt as glorious as one might think it is

imo i actually dont know anyone that guides that makes it into big money they make enough to live most seem to make about what someone with a trade makes

was just a question
i have a few freinds with business degrees as well funny how most of them are not employed in the area they went to school in and none are guides either haha

While they can be amortized, a 150K boat amortized over 5 years is still 30K, plus about 25% of revenues in fuel with prices being around 1.40. While some of these are complete write offs, you can't pay taxes on negative values, and when insurance (expensive as hell), bait (3K a year at least), tackle (3K a year), moorage, replacement of engines, fuel for actual vehicles, etc etc is all added up, it's really just about doing it to love it. I'm not sure why you have such a hate on guides Lorne. While direct expenses are not overhead like you say, they still affect your bottom line, and you can't magically ignore them.

I'm currently in Commerce with a double concentration in Finance and Management, and next year may be doing my MBA, you can't ignore things just because they aren't overhead. Plus, depreciation of assets, while that helps your taxes, still must be considered when thinking about your boats, lodges, vehicles etc.

Wow some of these posts are getting out of hand.
Can we get back to the 85 / 15 split and how we can fix that?
GLG

I dont have a hate on for guides at all. Quite the opposite. I think being a guide is an unreal job. I mean it doesnt get any better.

I just dont feel sorry for anyone in any business, That has the `woah is me`attitude. We are all 100% in control of what we do for a living. If you arent making money, do something else.

I agree you cant ignore expenses. But they are part of your business. Guides, arent any different then any other business as far as that goes.

Making friends again I see.... ;)

i for one would like to see the science behind the recent announcement. Who says that one under 85cm will make any difference at all. At least in alaska when they want to make a change they have the brains to run it through the IPHC to comment before chucking something else on the table that does no good. So who really made this up.... the three stooges??

After reading your proceeding posts Lorne I'm fully convinced that you are a total jealous and bitter f#$%ing goof. Anytime I've been asked a favor from a fellow anglers or hunters in the field,"like a tow in or spare cannon ball" I am always more than happy to assist. From now on I am going to ask any strangers if thier name is Lorne Parker. If yes than you can go f#$k yourself. I now know that you don't need friends. I understand now that you don't give a f#$k about me or other guides because your jealous of what we do for a living and would be happy if we all lost our present occupations. Self centered loosers like you are the ones that I have always needed to avoid in life. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Im not the one that needs them.

Lorne

I have been trying to pull myself away from this, and i hope to soon. However i dont think i cannot respond to that.

I am sorry that upset you. I guess i touched a nerve. I guess next you are going to tell me you will kick my butt next time you see me? My candor and honesty sometimes isnt taken the best ways.

Im pretty sure you told us all to f@$#!%k our selves when you rammed this regulation down our throats. You also tell us go **** our selves everytime we ask a question and you yell at us to "get involved!!!" "blow us we've been doing this for years, what the f@$@k do you know". "sit down anD shut the f$*!@%&K UP" And we are the people that fill your boats. **** on us. We love it.

I dont wish any ill will against you or any guide or anyone in any business for that matter. This isnt personal.

Im sorry if a came across that way. I'm not bitter because you are a guide. I am happy for you. I hope to do that when i retire. But if you arent making any money, dont do it anymore. If you are hurting, Do more marketing, Dont buy a 30 foot boat with 3 250's. DOnt blame "overhead" if you dont even know the meaning of the word. Do anything!!!!. We live in a democracy, where you can choose what you do for a living. You guys are living the dream Literally. And there are lots of guys in the business making all kinds of loot! And good for them. However looking at your new rig, you seem to be doing ok.

Lorne

Best of luck, and if you ever need a cannonball. You can still ask me.

Back