Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent last summer guiding in SE AK. I would take a situation where I caught lots of smaller fish over one where I caught a couple big fish. Slow days are difficult, to say the least. A lot of people go on these trips expecting to catch limits, some get a bit ***** when they don't. That makes for an unfun day

If you want to try out different lodges you can look up Coastal Pacific Guide Service. They set you up with different resorts looking for guides. You can pretty much get full time if you wish and try out some different resorts to see what they have to offer. QCL is a good operation and would be a good place to start out.

Not a guide but have fished Hippa and more so Rivers several times over the recent years. From what I've seen and heard you don't go to Rivers for quantities which I would think that could create client tension and that's never fun. More and good size catches at QCL. Also, I bet tips from the big spenders that go to QCL would be significantly better and has to be a consideration. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Who did you fish Hippa with?

Not sure if you are single or not but QCL always has some pretty cute girls working up there. Just make sure not to spend your whole pay check at the staff bar (happened more than you'd think back in the day)!
Was only paid 400 dollars my season ( and first guiding season ) I worked at that lodge . Hell of a time though . They ended up changing allot of rules after that season apparently ….. still went home with thousands in cash tips but your bar and tackle tab comes off your wage!

Last edited:
Was only paid 400 dollars my season ( and first guiding season ) I worked at that lodge . Hell of a time though . They ended up changing allot of rules after that season apparently …..
lol 400 the whole season? I heard stories of guys that owed money at the end of the year didn’t know how much truth there was to it

lol 400 the whole season? I heard stories of guys that owed money at the end of the year didn’t know how much truth there was to it
Oh yeah , burnt the candle both ends that’s forsure . Much different now apparently but those were great days. Edited above , still went home with lots of cash . That was just off my wage .

Oh yeah , burnt the candle both ends that’s forsure . Much different now apparently but those were great days. Edited above , still went home with lots of cash . That was just off mye wage .
I was going to say, I'd imagine you were slamming five dollar bills in under 2 seconds. Lol

haha reminds me of people who work on a cruise, this went to room and board, this went to paying for wifi, this went for eating meals outside of the crew mess, this went to excursions, this went to the crew bar....

same when i worked up north some guys would save a lot, others would fly to mexico for their 2 weeks off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back