Grizzly Hunting-- Yea or Nay?

I release dogfish too, but don't shoot grizzlies cause I won't eat them, nor will my wife. They do make a gorgeous rug though, and I've often thought of buying one.

Just wondering if some on here believe in a seal cull?? or the one that take place in the east coast??? or how about if your wife has a fur coat????? hmmmmmmm yes abit off topic but its just a rug if I had a place big enough and had the money yes id probabbly put in for a tag and go and get one. its not like this season is a free for all there is only limited number of tags given out and thats it.

For example this is where dave got his up in the knight inlet kingholme area and NO you cant go to glendale cove and pop one its a closed area or any of the other places bears hang out and eat sedge grass you accually have to boat in and hunt them its a lot of hard work and time its not that easy as you think the area is rough terrain and steep

Hunt Authorizations Choice
Code Area M.U. Zone Season Date Class of Animal Available Odds
3001 Knight/Kingcome 1-14 A Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Adult only 10 4.8:1
3002 Knight/Kingcome 1-14 B Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Adult only 5 3.0:1
3003 Knight/Kingcome 1-15 B Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Adult only 4 16.0:1
3004 Knight/Kingcome 1-15 C Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Adult only 4 12.5:1
Hunters are requested to select a male Grizzly Bear. For more details see page 16.

As you can see they only "allow" 23 bears in total to be exact for the fall hunt and then some more for the spring hunt and not every hunter will get one as some dont go or even know the area and never see one ($hitty hunters) and trust me in saying there is a lot of grizz in these areas worked up there for many seasons and have seen a lot of them the best is when I saw 4 males off of adeane pt fighting over a moutain goat carcass they were HUGE.

Alot of these bears shot are old bears that are way past "prime" thats why they want you too shoot males. Saw one that was taken from up there once that the old boy probabbly wouldnt make the winter he only had 1 canine left and a broken jaw from fighting this is where and why they have these hunts to give people who want one a chance.

Totally nothing wrong with it if you have been there and lived it and seen it first hand if you havent maybe one should spend the money take your boat up there go look for them and take some pics.Or go to any of the other areas and try and find one just because!!!!
then tell us your reasons why ok

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Well said Wolf many do not understand why there has to be a bear hunt and firmly believe that we have no right to defend ourselve against them. Just look at the feds and the police they believe that we should be passive when attacked and they will solve the murder when they can get to it. Believe it or not they are also tied in to hunting regulations.:(:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

I am completely against hunting Grizzly or any other bears. They are a majestic animal and have religious significance to FN. I think its bad carma to kill a bear. Like Holmes said, Grizzlies may be different, but, hunting black and brown bears is almost like shooting a dog. Not much hunting or skill involved.

Matador

quote:Originally posted by pescador

I am completely against hunting Grizzle or any other bears. They are a majestic animal and have religious significance to FN. I think its bad carma to kill a bear. Like Holmes said, Grizzlies may be different, but, hunting black and brown bears is almost like shooting a dog. Not much hunting or skill involved.

Matador

LOL!!!!

Surely you jest!!!

Grizzly and brown bears are the same family. Same as black bears.

They are what to to FN?? They hunt them as well and if you were to read a book called "White man and Grizzly Bears" by a native named Clayton Mack, you would see that they treat them just like we do. The so called "Spirit Bear" does have some significance to the Natives, but the run of the mill blackie is just food to most natives I know and hunt with.

Shooting them is like shooting a dog???? Not much skill is involved??? Maybe you should try it out before you say statements like that. Hunting an animal that can and will kill you is nothing like "Shooting a Dog" They have my full respect and are not easy to hunt, never mind kill. Thick bush, steep country and an animal that can move faster than a horse makes them a tough animal all around.

And with grizzly being on a controlled hunt, there is never any worry on taking too many. Black bear population is ~180000 animals and less than 4% are killed in any given year.

You should go out and try hunting bears sometime before making statements like this one.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Pescador or matador what ever you want to call your self, It is quite apparent you have never gone after a bear from your statements. because like everything in life one needs to be educated in a field of what they are getting into.

Fishing is basically another form of hunting you are seeking out the prey be it a bear or a salmon or halibut and we all want the biggest salmon or halibut or "bear" We all can say nah dont want the big ones but down deep we all do or if we have "done it" already then maybe you dont want to again.

Its human nature and as we in a whole we want that trophy,Im willing to bet if you or I or anyone else on here caught a 85 lb salmon we would be getting it mounted to show off what we have accomplished.hhhhhmmmm sounds like trophy hunting to me

Like I have stated before the Bear hunt is to give people a chance at a bear, now if there numbers were declining well then id have to raise a red flag as well and say no!!! But in ALL</u>the places I personally have fished/worked/hunted I have seen more now then ever before as I am out there in the wilderness so I see first hand.

As before I have stated its not what I choose to do but if someone else want to go ahead, we live in a world of choices and rights and DONT ever want to see our choice be limited to people deciding what we want that have no clue as to what is going on.
Its called freedom of speech and thats why we live in a place we call home CANADA

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by pescador

I am completely against hunting Grizzly or any other bears. They are a majestic animal and have religious significance to FN. I think its bad carma to kill a bear. Like Holmes said, Grizzlies may be different, but, hunting black and brown bears is almost like shooting a dog. Not much hunting or skill involved.

Matador
Another case of never been there,never done that.Don't know what I'm talking about.The Chinook Salmon is also a majestic animal.When they're coming thru and the bite is on they're not too hard to catch.Almost like shootin fish in a barrel.Not much fishing skill involved.I'll bet you keep fishing for them anyways!!!
By the way,as of this morning,the CBC poll regarding a sustainable Grizzly Bear hunt numbered 3348/Yea(79%) to 866/Nay(21%)
http://www.cbc.ca/bc/

Dave

Sitka:

Sorry for the intrusion here but the book you referred to is titled (correctly), Grizzlies and White Guys and yes it is a compilation of the life's adventures and stories of the famous Indian bear-hunting guide Clayton Mack, but it was actually written/edited by his physician, Harvey Thommasen, after he tape-recorded his stories while he attended Clayton on his death-bed in hospital in Bella Coola.

It's another of those must read books for those who spend time in bear country.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Good god.

Remember when fisherman and hunters were largely two in the same...

The pursuit of the great outdoors as we know it is in danger due to this type of fragmentation.

If you kill fish...

Gimee the gaff!!!

Wow, didn't expect all the negative energy generated by one mans view. As a former hunter, I respect your opinions guys. I simple have a different view on a lot of things I did in the past. The ask was Yea or Nay. I'm a Nay. Lets leave it at that. Don't assume someone opposed to something hasn't experienced it.

Matador

The latest on the CBC poll is we think the hunt is sustainable:

quote:Your Vote
Thank you, we have already counted your vote.
Yes. 81% (4,455 votes)
No. 19% (1,061 votes)
Total Votes: 5,516

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

If the grizz had a four year cycle then sure shoot the sh$t outta them..
We are talking about monatary gains from a trophy hunt.. All for shoot and eat but these bears contribute more than their natural being on this shi**y planet. If I guy wants to come from some stinkin hole down south or europe just to say he is a big guy with a means to take something as majestic as a grizz I think our heads need shaking..
These brutes used to range from Alaska to Mexico and as far east as Eastern Ontario.. Why no more,[:0] the same crap, the population just follows the opportunity.. 100% against-dirty:(

I have only seen one dead Grizzley,,when its skinned and hung it looks human.....:( couldnt bring myself to eat it after that.....[xx(]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

I don't have a problem with hunting non-endangered animals (other than humans) for food, and all the better if the hide is saved as a trophy.

I do not agree with straight up trophy hunting. If I heard you shopped at the grocery store, threw out the meat and kept the styrofoam tray I would think you were stupid. When you do this with a bear I think you are stupid X 1,000,000.

Perhaps there is some merit in the arguments around trophy hunting as population control. If I understand correctly, the argument is that bear hunting is a good way to protect your pets, your children and yourself from being killed by problem bears. In that case, hunt the problem bears. Have the trophy hunters come into towns where the bears are a problem and take them out. Not going to happen, right?

Hunting bears in the wild definitely does not target problem bears. Arguing that a trophy hunt is necessary to save our children is even more ludicrous than arguing that we should lock up members of a stereotyped group (maybe teens, or blacks, or the homeless, or what have you)to prevent crime. It makes no sense.

All that being said, I would be the first to shoot a bear that I perceived as a problem or a threat. I won't carry a gun when fishing the rivers because I think I would be too quick to shoot.

To be clear, bears are no more special for me than any other wild animal. What I have a problems with is wastefulness.

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

I don't have a problem with hunting non-endangered animals (other than humans) for food, and all the better if the hide is saved as a trophy.

I do not agree with straight up trophy hunting. If I heard you shopped at the grocery store, threw out the meat and kept the styrofoam tray I would think you were stupid. When you do this with a bear I think you are stupid X 1,000,000.

Perhaps there is some merit in the arguments around trophy hunting as population control. If I understand correctly, the argument is that bear hunting is a good way to protect your pets, your children and yourself from being killed by problem bears. In that case, hunt the problem bears. Have the trophy hunters come into towns where the bears are a problem and take them out. Not going to happen, right?

Hunting bears in the wild definitely does not target problem bears. Arguing that a trophy hunt is necessary to save our children is even more ludicrous than arguing that we should lock up members of a stereotyped group (maybe teens, or blacks, or the homeless, or what have you)to prevent crime. It makes no sense.

All that being said, I would be the first to shoot a bear that I perceived as a problem or a threat. I won't carry a gun when fishing the rivers because I think I would be too quick to shoot.

To be clear, bears are no more special for me than any other wild animal. What I have a problems with is wastefulness.

Black bears have to have all edible portions of meat being brought out. As of now Grizz do not, but it sounds like it might be coming.

Would your attitude change if the HAD to be brought out??? What about Cougar, wolf, coyote, lynx and other fur bearing animals.

If we targeted problem bears, do we have to eat them as well?? Nothing better tasting than a dump/garbage bear that has been eating old diapers and hot dog wrappers:D;)

Nothing is ever wasted in the wild, one animals loss is a few other gain.

This has nothing to do with eating a grizz, or any other animal for that matter. This is all about the the big dollar, anti hunt/fish groups for below the boarder coming up here with tons of $$$ and telling us Canadians how we should live our lives and go eat only organic vegetables, tofu and latte's. We should leave the cute, cuddly, poor little bear, deer or other animal alone. And lets not forget the fish. Those poor little fishes (what did PETA call them...Kittens??)that get stuck in the mouth with that large, sharp hook and reffed and torqued into the boat to be bludgeoned and left to suffer in the cooler.

Don't believe me??? Google it in the US, it has already started, although the following is not as big because a lot more folks fish than hunt.

You cannot get any more organic and pure than game meat. I eat all that I kill and some of the beat meat is bear and cougar.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I personally dont really like the mentallity of most predator hunting.Im not against hunting by any means as its hypocritcal to eat meat/fish then say hunting is wrong.I just dont like the mindset that if it looks good on a wall, is dangerous or eats my prey then it should die.

I say good on ya if you go shoot a nice deer,elk ect.Thats great. Heck go shoot a black bear make some suasage,ham and maybe make a nice rug. What i dont get is guys trapping the sh*& out of wolves,lynx blasting every coyote in site, hounding cougars then shooting them when they naturally hide in a tree. All because they find some lame excuse to. Im undecided on grizz as its hard to say hunting blackies is ok and grizz is not.

Guess you wouldnt like how sask has a bounty on Coyotes then HEY????bring in 4 paws and you get $20 bucks!!!!!!!!

Every road kill yote you will see out there has its 4 paws missing.

As there is way too many of them there but some people would not know that from sitting behind a computor monitor arm chair fishing/hunting!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunters and fisherman are all alike and lot are both so if you fish like I said earlier your a hunter as well.

This is a all time classic line I love it!!!!!

quote:The Chinook Salmon is also a majestic animal.When thet're coming thru and the bite is on they're not too hard to catch.Almost like shootin fish in a barrel.Not much fishing skill involved.I'll bet you keep fishing for them anyways!!!

So very true!!!!!!

Just because you dont like the thought of something!!!! what gives you the right to enforce that on a hunter or human being??? next your going to tell me a woman isnt entitled to pro choice and cant have an abortion is she so chooses.

As Chris Berman would say

"CMON MAN" </u>

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Guess you wouldnt like how sask has a bounty on Coyotes then HEY????bring in 4 paws and you get $20 bucks!!!!!!!!

Every road kill yote you will see out there has its 4 paws missing.

As there is way too many of them there but some people would not know that from sitting behind a computor monitor arm chair fishing/hunting!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunters and fisherman are all alike and lot are both so if you fish like I said earlier your a hunter as well.

This is a all time classic line I love it!!!!!

quote:The Chinook Salmon is also a majestic animal.When thet're coming thru and the bite is on they're not too hard to catch.Almost like shootin fish in a barrel.Not much fishing skill involved.I'll bet you keep fishing for them anyways!!!

So very true!!!!!!

Just because you dont like the thought of something!!!! what gives you the right to enforce that on a hunter or human being??? next your going to tell me a woman isnt entitled to pro choice and cant have an abortion is she so chooses.

As Chris Berman would say

"CMON MAN" </u>

Just because you like the thought of something!!!! What gives you the right to allow that? Next you hunters are going be supporting drinking and driving your big trucks around raping and pillaging. Oh wait that has nothing to do with anything and is ridiculous? back on topic.

My post isnt anti hunting so i dont know why you took it to heart and add !!!! to each sentence. If there really is a reason to kill a predator ie meat,populations to high, actually a threat to people then so be it. I just dont get the yokels thinking that if it kills deer then i should kill it or man bears are scary kill them.

That said the way the grizz hunts setup i think most hunters respect the bears more than antis and the numbers are well controlled but still seems wrong in a way. Either way its just an opinion.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

I personally dont really like the mentallity of most predator hunting.Im not against hunting by any means as its hypocritcal to eat meat/fish then say hunting is wrong.I just dont like the mindset that if it looks good on a wall, is dangerous or eats my prey then it should die.

I say good on ya if you go shoot a nice deer,elk ect.Thats great. Heck go shoot a black bear make some suasage,ham and maybe make a nice rug. What i dont get is guys trapping the sh*& out of wolves,lynx blasting every coyote in site, hounding cougars then shooting them when they naturally hide in a tree. All because they find some lame excuse to. Im undecided on grizz as its hard to say hunting blackies is ok and grizz is not.

Kelly

I respect your comments, but you need to do some research about pred hunting.

Hunting predators is good for the balance of nature.

Man has screwed up the natural process so bad that man now has to play in part with mother nature to help keep some animals in check.

Cougars are VI are the highest density in North America. They raise hell on deer, elk, dog, sheep, cats and other domesticated animals. Even with the liberal season here on the Island, their numbers are steady to increasing. Cougars are hunted by dogs because that is the best and really only way that a hunter can be successful. The benefit to dogs is that you can see if it is female and/or has kittens (although the season is in the winter when kittens are now on their own)or it is young cougar. It is a selective way to hunt. And by the way cougar meat is awesome. Most F&G clubs serve on their menus.

Same as wolves. They have no natural predators and again raise hell on animals, both domestic and wild. Hunting them is the number one tool in controlling the population, but hunting them is one of the hardest hunts. Most guys get them while hunting other species. That is why trapping works to control local population in the vicinity of ranches, town and other locations.

Yes I am bias towards the trapping of wolves and hunting cougars, but only because they are in direct competition with my food. Do I want to see then totally removed?? Nope, because one of the coolest things to hear and see is a wolf in the wild and they do not know you are there. I want my kids and their kids and so on to see that and hear those sounds.

There is no way, with the hunting and trapping that goes on here in BC, that we will ever put a true dent in the population of predators. There is too much remote country and nor enough hunters/trappers to cause harm to a population.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Back