Grizzly Hunt Petition

IronNoggin

"Hunters and outdoorsmen have long been the true conservationists in Canada, North America, and the world. The money spent by Hunters and Outdoorsmen and the true care for how wildlife is managed properly is surpassed by no group.

Several lobby groups have attempted to pressure and persuade the BC government (among others) to end sport hunting. Sport hunting is a very useful and important tool in wildlife management and no group is more passionate about wildlife and proper management than outdoorsmen and the hunting community. These lobby groups have targetted the BC Grizzly bear hunt in an attempt to eventually end all sport hunting.

Game management is important to all groups of outdoor recreationalists, tourits, outdoorsmen, and the future generations in Canada, North America, and the world. The endless projects and financial support for wildlife management by outdoorsmen have led the way to create stable and supporting management practices.

Human impact will continue to provide challenges to managing wildlife properly. This petition is created to show the numbers of people who truly support proper wildlife management and who feel that the BC grizzly hunt should not be cancelled due to pressure from Lobby groups whose interests do not lie in proper or sustainable wildlife management."

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-the-bc-grizzly-hunt.html

Wildlife MUST be managed by Science, NOT sentiment and sensationalism!!

Signed...
Nog

Signed in as #561. I eat what I kill or I wear it.

Well written Nog, signed in the three hunters in the abode.

Signed and sent,Nog. Love my venison!!!

Don't know what venison has to do with a grizzly hunt but here is the following : "You are signer #564"......... from me

Don't put too much hope into this as I remember back in the early 90's about the same thing..........remember the Cascade Grizzly Recovery Program............ever hear about "Winston"

"Winston" was a griz that had problems in the Pemberton area, our great wildlife management, at that time decided to fly him to the "Cathedral Park" area, with a collar on him. As they
tracked him (about 1 year) he had crossed the Fraser River around the Hope area and got into the Harrison Area and lost contact from the collar. The next year he was back in Pemberton.
And what was his reward for making this journey ...................you got it...........a bullet..........end of "Winston" At that time the wild life large bear expert was "Matt Huston", for the Gov'nt
Can you trust the Gov'nt ?????????????? Let's see.........you have a SALMON (eating) bear dropped off in the middle of no where and where do you think he will go, apparently the Gov'nt
didn't. Next we bring up the "Cascade Grizzly Bear Recovery Program" Two areas were set up (Yes they did plant a few bears in one area) but in other, the Manning Park & Cascade Rec. Area
trails we closed, no one was allowed in, etc .............and at what cost????????? to us the tax payers.................and no bears were transplanted.

I personally don't agree with Trophy Hunting but I do hunt and have been doing it for the last 49 years.

Quote from "Nog"........... "Wildlife MUST be managed by Science, NOT sentiment and sensationalism!!"

I agree with him 110%...........

#675, don't want to see BC follow in the footsteps of Alberta with the grizzly hunt. A local fish and wildlife officer was telling me a few months ago that he spent half his time last year dealing with problem grizzlies in our area. And now that he is the only officer in this area due to cutbacks (used to be 4 CO's), he said it makes it that much harder to deal with his normal problems ie:trespassing, poaching. HE said what a joke that the grizzlies were labeled threatened and the hunt shut down 5 years ago, ALL due to the pressure of the anti-hunting lobbyists.

I'm in the same camp as DM; I hunt for food not trophy's. I may hunt black bear one day if I get a serious hankering for bear-meat. So far, deer, moose & elk have filled the bill nicely (I haven't shot a moose or elk yet, but I've eaten other guys and loved it).

I do however support the carefully managed hunting of BC's Grizzly bears for one reason: Credible scientific study has proven that over time, non-hunted bear populations become bolder and more aggressive towards humans which increases incidence of bear-human conflict.

A dozen years ago I wrote a paper on bear-hunting which inevitably led me to explore in depth the issue of bear-human conflict. I did a lot of research and delved into the great work of Herrero, Shelton, McClellan(?) and others. I've also read hundreds (yes hundreds) of accounts of bear-attacks on humans (stuff that would make you puke) and know that hundreds of problem bears are shot in BC each year in control actions. The bear-huggers never parade this dark-side of bears in their campaigns.

Bears are smart opportunistic predators;they learn, they evolve and their behavior can change. If - while the local river is not bursting with salmon - they know a measly little human is not going to hurt them, where do you think they will get their protein-fix from? Chasing down an Elk, or you, or your kid?

#1459 I don't hunt grizzlies but if lobby groups can push their agenda over science then black bears are next.

I do hunt and eat blackies.

#6428 Once Grizzlies cant be hunted more bear huggers and inocent people will get eaten. Those creatures need to be afraid of people. It's best for all including the bears.

#7155 Freezer stays full of Alberta Moose Elk and Deer, but that is getting tougher each year. The zone I have been hunting for over 20 years in the Alberta Peace is now inundated with Grizz that are fully protected and closely monitored by AFW. First time ever that I don't feel safe to creep out to the Stand or push through dense bush prior to dusk or dawn as they are aggressive and fighting for territory due to population. BC should learn from this...

Back