Greys or Humpbacks?

poet1971

Hey everyone, I need some help. The last few times I've been out we saw a bunch of whales out in front of Sooke. I have been told they were Grey whales by some, and Humpbacks by others. Which is it?

Could be either.

Never seen a humpback but here is a gray whale I filmed up close near Oak Bay.(REALLY close @ 1:45)

[9hsCDf5IzuM] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hsCDf5IzuM&

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Gungadin, that sight was very helpful. They are definitely Humpbacks! Greys have no dorsal fin and humpbacks have a small fin. The ones we saw definitely had a fin.

Hey Poet, the one we saw last Sunday in front of Sooke was definitely a Humpback too. Dan, that video of the Grey Whale off of Oak Bay is really cool! Was that today?

Poet1971, did you see the humpbacks yesterday? I was out off Sooke and counted two or three different groups of whales, with at least four whales in each group. They were far off and I could only see the spouts so I'm not sure if they were humpbacks or orca. Just wondering if you got a closer look and a better count?

As far as I am aware, the large whales seen off Sooke are nearly always humpbacks. The Greys tend to stick on their migration routes (Baha to Alaska and back) via the outside of VI.

Certainly it has been humpbacks that we have seen the past two years around this time.

Here is a 30 second video we took out front in early October last year. "Hump" on whale is clearly visible. (Impressive tail fluke as well!:cool:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRc9XlZprM

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I am aware, the large whales seen off Sooke are nearly always humpbacks. The Greys tend to stick on their migration routes (Baha to Alaska and back) via the outside of VI.

Many gray whales enter Juan De Fuca each year on their migration. Some even stay in the area year round. They are very common as you get a little West of Sooke. Grays tend to work the shallows actually picking up the bottom in their mouth and filtering it. They are also much slower moving than a humpback --- typically. They will work a small area for hours.

Poet1971, did you see the humpbacks yesterday? I was out off Sooke and counted two or three different groups of whales, with at least four whales in each group. They were far off and I could only see the spouts so I'm not sure if they were humpbacks or orca. Just wondering if you got a closer look and a better count?

A friend and I were out on Oct 24/25. They were in quite close to secretary. In fact, were had troubles keeping out of them. There were three separate groups. One group of three (one was young), and two pairs. The group of three was the first spotted. Then one pair joined them (to feed I presume by their activity), and we spotted another pair at Otter point. We watched the Otter Point pair making a B line all the way down to joint the others. It was quite the show. And we were still catching fish to boot. We tried to stay out of the whale as best we could, but I watched a number ob guys fishing fairly close to them, and they still seemed to be catching too.

Back