Great Deal Kingfisher

I agree JAC. they are very nice and will get the job done. I love the 3325. it's a tank but big bucks. they (the smaller ones) are just a bit more of a production boat and some shortcuts are taken to make them a bit more affordable compared to some of the more custom boats... your more than likely going to spend more for a custom boat. at least if it's new. whether or not it's worth it to an individual is relative to the persons love of being on the water and the size of their pocketbook. and probably a few other things... definitely nothing wrong with the boats.

I got into mine for just under 70k U.s.

There is no comparison.. I waited , saved , pondered.. In no way could i afford the same boat in a daigle or north west.. Its what i wanted. But no way could afford.. I settled for my kingfisher. Lol
Your boat is killer Blair, especially with the new power. Haven't been invited out on it yet tho....... Bam hali day next June?...lol

I have had my KF2825 since 2008.
Lightweight and easy to tow. 6200 pounds dry including power.
Twin 150 yams, cruise at 25 mph at 11 gph, 45 mph wot.
I am on the water 60 days a year mostly off the west coast of the island with the occasional run to Rupert and back.
Very safe and comfortable small live on boat and the interior finish is exceptional compared to most other aluminum boats.
Massive fish boxed and possibly too much storage.
For the money you can not beat the Kingfisher off shore series and resale value is exceptional.
Sounds like a Kingfisher commercial but it is all true.
My 2 buddies have just bought new 3025's mostly based on their time on my boat.

Couple of negative points I can point out about the Kingfishers is that they are blown around on the water like flat bottomed bath tubs and they do not cut through waves well at all compared to a sharper V'd proper built off shore boat does.

I traded in my Kingfisher 2525 for a new Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King. The boats are a world apart and don't compare honestly. In rougher weather the Kingfisher would get tossed around, waves would come in the back while fighting fish in waves, and the ride was very rough through the waves; having to travel very slowly in rough weather. My Weldcraft cuts the waves like a hot knife through butter, lets no water in while fighting fish in big waves and tracks very straight and smooth while trolling in even strong winds. The Kingfisher you had to constantly battle the wondering it does in winds due to the bathtub shaped hull. Just the overall feel and ride of the boats too are worlds apart. The Weldcraft feels like a battle ship, the Kingfisher felt like a recreational in shore weekend warrior type fishing boat.

Don't mean to insult the KF owners at all. But just want to point those issues out in case you are wanting to shop/buy a real strong off shore boat then IMO there are much better choices out there than KF's.

That price isn't bad for that boat, not sure about the power.

I had a 2825 with single 350 and 9.9 kicker, then traded up to a 3025 with twin 200s and 25 kicker. Going from the big single to the twins made the boat far more stable.
The fit & finish on the kingfishers is nicer than all the others, and is a really nice boat to stay on.
They do get blown around when its windy, and aren't that great in really big water.
But I don't like fishing in that wind/water anyway, so wouldn't go out in it.
We probably do 50-60 days, but all recreational. I looked at all of the makers, and for us the KFs were the boat of choice, twice, based on the combination of comfort (interior/exterior) and performance (fuel economy, speed, fishability)

We've been 50 miles out for Tuna, all around inshore, hot springs, etc. But because we're rec, and have most of June - mid September to fish we don't have to go out in the rough weather. Out of Tofino all summer. In the winter, perfect for around vancouver, with the heater nice/warm/dry on those damp days.

Kinda like Clamping compared to Camping I guess.

Couple of negative points I can point out about the Kingfishers is that they are blown around on the water like flat bottomed bath tubs and they do not cut through waves well at all compared to a sharper V'd proper built off shore boat does.

I traded in my Kingfisher 2525 for a new Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King. The boats are a world apart and don't compare honestly. In rougher weather the Kingfisher would get tossed around, waves would come in the back while fighting fish in waves, and the ride was very rough through the waves; having to travel very slowly in rough weather. My Weldcraft cuts the waves like a hot knife through butter, lets no water in while fighting fish in big waves and tracks very straight and smooth while trolling in even strong winds. The Kingfisher you had to constantly battle the wondering it does in winds due to the bathtub shaped hull. Just the overall feel and ride of the boats too are worlds apart. The Weldcraft feels like a battle ship, the Kingfisher felt like a recreational in shore weekend warrior type fishing boat.

Don't mean to insult the KF owners at all. But just want to point those issues out in case you are wanting to shop/buy a real strong off shore boat then IMO there are much better choices out there than KF's.
Again, not apples to apples, we are talking like a $50k-$80K price difference here???..... I would hope you got more boat. That being said, if I won the lottery a 260 or 280 Weldcraft Cuddy King would be mine, sexy boats.

Again, not apples to apples, we are talking like a $50k-$80K price difference here???..... I would hope you got more boat. That being said, if I won the lottery a 260 or 280 Weldcraft Cuddy King would be mine, sexy boats.

$50-$80 K price difference? Galleon Marine is selling a new King Fisher 30' for $255 K and Rods Power and Marine is selling a new Weldcraft 30' for $259 K. So only a $4000 difference. Both fitted with twin 250's.
I can't find any prices for new 28' Kingfishers on any of the dealers websites to compare those prices with Weldcrafts but if that's the dif in 30's then the 28' price difference I would think would be similar.

One other thing I would note is the Weldcrafts come with Merc Verado's which have slow troll mode on them and require no need for a small kicker motor to troll with.
The Kingfishers come with Yamaha motors and as far as I know they can not do the same thing. I've noticed a couple guide boats out with new twin Yamies on their Whalers and Gradies and they are running kickers too. A friend of mine has a new Yammie on his North River and he can't idle down to 1.5-3 mph for a troll with it.
I love being able to troll with one of my main motors especially in heavy waves and heavy wind. And very handy for setting and picking up prawn traps in heavy weather with the main motors idled way down. Having had boats with small kickers and now the twin Verado's I am so happy with the set up I have now. Makes a huge difference.
Also If I'm trolling against a strong tide and my riggers are pitching steep angles, one of my main's will still idle way down to 1.5 mph if needed without stalling to still keep a good proper action on lures/bait while having good power control of my trolling directions.

Also to note a Weldcraft 260 is actually 28' in length but still has a trailer-able beam width without permit. Kingfisher's 28' model has a wider beam and needs a permit to be trailer-ed. The Weldcraft 260 (28') comes with twin 225's. The Kingfisher 28' comes with twin 200's.

Think they'd take my 14 foot Valco Westcoaster with a 20 hp 2 stroke on trade????? :D

I'm drooling reading about some of your guys setups! Lol

I was looking at KF 2825 vs 280 Cuddyking
$50-$80 K price difference? Galleon Marine is selling a new King Fisher 30' for $255 K and Rods Power and Marine is selling a new Weldcraft 30' for $259 K. So only a $4000 difference. Both fitted with twin 250's.
I can't find any prices for new 28' Kingfishers on any of the dealers websites to compare those prices with Weldcrafts but if that's the dif in 30's then the 28' price difference I would think would be similar.

One other thing I would note is the Weldcrafts come with Merc Verado's which have slow troll mode on them and require no need for a small kicker motor to troll with.
The Kingfishers come with Yamaha motors and as far as I know they can not do the same thing. I've noticed a couple guide boats out with new twin Yamies on their Whalers and Gradies and they are running kickers too. A friend of mine has a new Yammie on his North River and he can't idle down to 1.5-3 mph for a troll with it.
I love being able to troll with one of my main motors especially in heavy waves and heavy wind. And very handy for setting and picking up prawn traps in heavy weather with the main motors idled way down. Having had boats with small kickers and now the twin Verado's I am so happy with the set up I have now. Makes a huge difference.
Also If I'm trolling against a strong tide and my riggers are pitching steep angles, one of my main's will still idle way down to 1.5 mph if needed without stalling to still keep a good proper action on lures/bait while having good power control of my trolling directions.

Also to note a Weldcraft 260 is actually 28' in length but still has a trailer-able beam width without permit. Kingfisher's 28' model has a wider beam and needs a permit to be trailer-ed. The Weldcraft 260 (28') comes with twin 225's. The Kingfisher 28' comes with twin 200's.
http://www.canadianyachting.ca/boat-reviews/power/1538-kingfisher-2825-weekender
http://www.rpmgroup.ca/inventory.ph...+Boats&new=1&limit=30&orderBy=length&dir=DESC
28' both. KF 177,900.00 WC 259,000
That is what I based my numbers off of. Difference of 82,000. 260 CK 209,000 so still a difference of $35kish even going down to the 26. I didn't shop around though. Not sure what difference between 225 and 150 is maybe$ 6-7000.00?

Last edited:
I looked at Weldcrafts before I bought my Kingfisher.
Kingfisher has a way more livable cabin.
Lower center of gravity and wider beam means way less pitch and roll.
The kingfisher hull design allows you to stay on step at a much lower speed.
Lighter and more fuel efficient.
Shop around. You can absolutely but a new 30 25 in your driveway for well under 200k.

About trolling on your main motors.
I put about 150 hours a year on my mains and about 500 on my kicker.
Its crazy to put all those trolling hours on a $20k main when you can buy a new kicker for $5k.

I was looking at KF 2525 vs 260 Cuddyking

http://www.canadianyachting.ca/boat-reviews/power/1538-kingfisher-2825-weekender
http://www.rpmgroup.ca/inventory.ph...+Boats&new=1&limit=30&orderBy=length&dir=DESC
28' both. KF 177,900.00 WC 259,000
That is what I based my numbers off of. Difference of 82,000. 260 CK 209,000 so still a difference of $35kish even going down to the 26. I didn't shop around though. Not sure what difference between 225 and 150 is maybe$ 6-7000.00?

Those are very, very different boats (not apples to apples) you are comparing there. And that Canadian Yachting article about the Kingfisher and price is also very old. I saw that same article when I shopped for my first off shore boat about 5 years ago approx.

The Weldcraft you linked is a true big 30' custom off shore rig with twin 250 Merc Verado's fully loaded with radar, electronics and a tri axle trailer and diesel cabin heater and a lot of other included options. It should be compared (apples and apples) to a Kingfisher 3025 pimped rig for a more accurate comparison.
The Kingfisher you linked in the article is only a 28' rig with small twin 150 motors and no other options listed and as mentioned it's also an old article with old prices. No mention of trailer price, navigation instruments etc either.

If you want to compare closer apples to apples like I mentioned earlier you would have to compare a Weldcraft 260 to a Kingfisher 2825 with the same options included or a Weldcraft 280 cuddy king which is a 30' boat to a Kingfisher 3025 with same full loads. Kingfisher's also known for not listing true measurements from bow to stern, while Weldcrafts measurements are bang on. (I know, I've personally measured them to compare)

So if you want true apples to apples, call Galleon in person and ask them what a price would be for a pimped out 3025 with tri axle trailer included and radar, and all navionics like the Weldcraft 280 Cuddy King is (a true 30' boat). Like I said it's priced on their website for $255 K and that doesn't include a Diesel heater or from what I see on Galleon's site it also doesn't list the trailer as included like Weldcrafts prices all include full loaded boats with trailers.

Note the Weldcraft 280 Cuddy King (30 footer) comes with a tri axle trailer. The 260 Cuddy King (true 28' boat) has a tandem trailer.
The Kingfishers put their 2825's on tandem trailers and their 3025's on tri axels. See the trend here??

To confirm my points I will call Galleon tomorrow and get a price quote on a fully pimped out Kingfisher 2825 from them with trailer etc. and post my finding's on this thread. Then we can compare apples to apples of real Kingfisher prices to Weldcraft prices.

I looked at Weldcrafts before I bought my Kingfisher.
Kingfisher has a way more livable cabin.
Lower center of gravity and wider beam means way less pitch and roll.
The kingfisher hull design allows you to stay on step at a much lower speed.
Lighter and more fuel efficient.
Shop around. You can absolutely but a new 30 25 in your driveway for well under 200k.

About trolling on your main motors.
I put about 150 hours a year on my mains and about 500 on my kicker.
Its crazy to put all those trolling hours on a $20k main when you can buy a new kicker for $5k.
Sorry Samjoe, but that just is not even close to being accurate.
--"Kingfisher has a way more livable cabin." Have you measure them? The only thing with more space is a tiny bit wider walk way isle. Same chairs, same tables, same sleep space, etc..And the Weldcraft has a sliding door to the stern fish deck. The Kingfisher has a nuisance swing open door that you have to move your stuff around on the deck to clear the way every time you open and close the door.
--"Lower center of gravity" No, the Weldcraft hull is much lower and deeper V and handles so, so, so much better than a Kingfisher. I've owned both.
--"The kingfisher hull design allows you to stay on step at a much lower speed." Also, not accurate and I proved that with my boat in Tofino while boating next to a Kingisher 2825 next to me. Not to mention I was 40 miles off shore a good 20 minutes faster than the Kingfisher and I had no pain in my back from the ride either. I can ride next to a Kingfisher and watch the bath tub belly come down and smash hard on the waves instead of cutting through them. We saw it a lot out there. And Stephen from Rod's Power and Marine has also shown those local Kingfisher owners up too from driving right past them comfortably in his Weldcraft while the KF guys are smashing their hulls and backs up bad when going in rough water. Just being truthful here as I've owned both boats. If I liked my Kingfisher and thought it was a good rig I would have kept it for a long time.
--"Lighter and more fuel efficient." That statement is both true and untrue. Read the spec sheets from both manufacturers. Weldcraft 260 is a true 28' boat and it's weight is 4700 lbs (link to specs: http://www.rpmgroup.ca/view-details.php?id=516) The Kingfisher 2825 (28' boat) dry weight is 5044 lbs (http://www.galleonmarine.com/invent...ore/Base--Richmond-British-Columbia---3341651), 344 lbs heavier than the 28' Weldcraft. The Yamaha 225 definitely does get better fuel economy than the Merc Verado's But I would trade that any day myself for the low speed troll options on the Verado's. I fish a lot and I don't care what the weather or waves or tides doing too much in my boat both because of the performance and design of the boat and because of the ability to be able to fish in all weather/wind conditions using my main for trolling as I noted earlier. Until you experiance the scenarios/situations I have doing so with the main motors than you don't know what the difference is. Little kicker motors no more. I swap trolling motors every hour or so to even out the hours on the motors. Brand new motors with full warranty. Not too worried about putting trolling hours on them.
--"Shop around. You can absolutely but a new 30 25 in your driveway for well under 200k." Like I mentioned earlier to compare apples to apples I'll call Galleon tomorrow to see what they would price a full loaded 3025 and post it here on this thread.

Samjoe what size KF do you have and what power is on it? Are you out of Vancouver? I would like to make a Weldcraft believer out of you lol. If you want to meet up some time on the chuck we can get our rigs side by side and see which boat gets on step quicker, cuts the waves better and can travel at a faster speed through rough water comfortably. I have never seen a KF even come close to traveling through rough water as well as a WC does. Not too mention the Weldcraft sheds water better and doesn't let water in the back like KF's do.

Hope I'm not coming off arrogant. Trying to word things without sounding like that but it's tough trying to prove things to KF owners cause we are all very proud of our rigs I know.

KF's get so much publicity being on the fishing shows etc here in BC so I think guys just assume they must be really good. I know I did when I saw them on T.V. and the guys on the shows were hyping them up. Wasn't until I road in multiple off shore boats until I saw their flaws.

Those are very, very different boats (not apples to apples) you are comparing there. And that Canadian Yachting article about the Kingfisher and price is also very old. I saw that same article when I shopped for my first off shore boat about 5 years ago approx.

The Weldcraft you linked is a true big 30' custom off shore rig with twin 250 Merc Verado's fully loaded with radar, electronics and a tri axle trailer and diesel cabin heater and a lot of other included options. It should be compared (apples and apples) to a Kingfisher 3025 pimped rig for a more accurate comparison.
The Kingfisher you linked in the article is only a 28' rig with small twin 150 motors and no other options listed and as mentioned it's also an old article with old prices. No mention of trailer price, navigation instruments etc either.

If you want to compare closer apples to apples like I mentioned earlier you would have to compare a Weldcraft 260 to a Kingfisher 2825 with the same options included or a Weldcraft 280 cuddy king which is a 30' boat to a Kingfisher 3025 with same full loads. Kingfisher's also known for not listing true measurements from bow to stern, while Weldcrafts measurements are bang on. (I know, I've personally measured them to compare)

So if you want true apples to apples, call Galleon in person and ask them what a price would be for a pimped out 3025 with tri axle trailer included and radar, and all navionics like the Weldcraft 280 Cuddy King is (a true 30' boat). Like I said it's priced on their website for $255 K and that doesn't include a Diesel heater or from what I see on Galleon's site it also doesn't list the trailer as included like Weldcrafts prices all include full loaded boats with trailers.

Note the Weldcraft 280 Cuddy King (30 footer) comes with a tri axle trailer. The 260 Cuddy King (true 28' boat) has a tandem trailer.
The Kingfishers put their 2825's on tandem trailers and their 3025's on tri axels. See the trend here??

To confirm my points I will call Galleon tomorrow and get a price quote on a fully pimped out Kingfisher 2825 from them with trailer etc. and post my finding's on this thread. Then we can compare apples to apples of real Kingfisher prices to Weldcraft prices.
I looked for a date on the KF link but didn't see one, now that I look again I see it has HDS Gen 2 electronics at both steering stations, 3g radar as seen in pics, galley, head, suspension seats. Not sure when gen 2 units came about, and not disputing what you say either, you have done a lot more research than I have. Also noted difference in HP's and of course price. I'm just comparing internet costs for 28' boats, and I would be surprised to find out that a new KF was comparable pricewise to a new WC. I assume its called a 280 because they consider it their 28' model? It seems all boats are longer than what they are called. I have a Hewes 200 SR, taped out its almost 23 but I still call it a 20' boat. So I'm just comparing 28' models. Not in the market, but I have always assumed Weldcrafts are more money and they should be, more boat.

I looked for a date on the KF link but didn't see one, now that I look again I see it has HDS Gen 2 electronics at both steering stations, 3g radar as seen in pics, galley, head, suspension seats. Not sure when gen 2 units came about, and not disputing what you say either, you have done a lot more research than I have. Also noted difference in HP's and of course price. I'm just comparing internet costs for 28' boats, and I would be surprised to find out that a new KF was comparable pricewise to a new WC. I assume its called a 280 because they consider it their 28' model? It seems all boats are longer than what they are called. I have a Hewes 200 SR, taped out its almost 23 but I still call it a 20' boat. So I'm just comparing 28' models. Not in the market, but I have always assumed Weldcrafts are more money and they should be, more boat.

Ya it's crappy the way Weldcraft's 28' boat is called a 260 and the 30's are called 280's. I know Rods Power and Marine thinks it's not a good thing either cause we talked about it before. Especially when you have guys out there shopping for off shore rigs you would think they would want to name them similarly to how competitors do.
When I had my 2525 Kingfisher I measured it and it was actually like 23.5'. I mentioned it to the Weldcraft rep and he said ya Kingfishers are all like that and they don't measure to the same place on the stern that other manufacturers do. IMO the WC 260 should be called a 280 and the 280 should be called a 300. Or Kingfisher should really label their boats to the inside usage space like others do. KF's call their boats what they measure to the outside edge of the stern. WC calls their boat's what they measure to the inside edge of the stern.

I think some guys don't realize just how fully loaded the WC's come rigged from Rods Power and Marine when looking at the prices when comparing them to not fully loaded KF's on some dealers' sights.
If the WC were stock and not fully rigged they would be way cheaper. Stephen from RPM is an avid fisherman himself and knows the guides up in Tofino and Port Alberni so he knows how to order the boats rigged up from the factory all pimped out. If you want to order one from scratch with your own choices of options then you can do that too but it's a longer wait.

My 260 didn't come with a diesel heater so I had them add that and I got a power inverter installed with 110 outlets installed to make it more suited for over nighting at ocean side accommodation spots while sleeping on my boat. I also swapped out the butane stove top flame burners for a Wallas diesel flat top one cause I was having issues with water spilling and putting out the flame on the butane flame one when we were making lunches out on the water. Those are some options I would recommend if someone is shopping for a well equipped off shore rig.

I'm eager to see what price Galleon comes up with when I give them a full page list of options I want them to price in a quote for a pimped KF. I have a feeling it will be very close to the WC prices when they include all the same options.

Wow reading all this info and looking at the original post on the thread. I think it is a good deal half price with brand new power.

Last edited:
Wow reading all this info and looking at the original post on the thread. I think it is a good deal have price with brand new power.
Ya no kidding, hence the thread title "GREAT DEAL KINGFISHER"!!! lol Spend $50k on power ur into a 28' aluminum pilothouse KF for $140k with brand new power! Or run the twin 200's to death for $90K.

Holy crap.
Bathtub hull smashing down on the waves, tiny cabin, broken backs, flooded back deck, and not to mention that virtually everyone is always passing me on the way home from the fishing grounds.
I am now considering doing the right thing, pulling the plug, and sending her to a watery grave...... but then who would be out there to tow in all the guys with the black motors with high hours.

oops, yeah right in the title. thought i looked there before. yes it's a 2005...

Back