Great $20 Dollar Marine GPS/Chartplotter App

uclueletcharters

With the cost of GPS Chartplotters it makes it tough for the average guy on a tight budget where fishing equipment doesn't rank to high on the priority list around the house. I have a back up App in my phone in the event the main on the boat broke while out on the water. The App is dirt cheap is in colour with detailed maps, it does everything an expensive unit will do for $20! http://www.inavx.com/ Take a peek the only down fall is the screen size of your phone will cause you to zoom in for the fine details but hey you can't go wrong.

there is also a Navionics Marine charts app, i have it on my ipad, its pretty awsome, maps are all stored on the device so you dont require having data.

I think it's the same one I mentioned must be great on an Ipad. Is there any good Ipad mounts that would hold an Ipad in a boat on the dash? Could be a great invention if there isn't already one. Got to love all the new apps these days!

There are marine mounts avaliable for iphones and ipads. How well they work I don't know I certainly wouldn't have one out in the spray but under a hard top should be just fine. If I had to get a new chart plotter that would be my choice can't beat the touch screen.

I have the Navionics app on my HTC one S phone. It's awesome and only cost 16.99. It has very detailed charts and all the features you need for a GPS chartplotter. Like it was said, you download all the maps you need when you are at home and then it works wherever you are with no need for a phone signal. Its realtime GPS integration is very good.

I have the Navionics app on my Iphone and I know it works when I have no service, but my questions is I also have an Ipad and I put the app on it but have yet to take it out and try it. Since my Ipad is only wi-fi I'm wondering if I'm out fishing will it still track my position or will it just be the preloaded charts and not show me where my boat is?
If this works this could save me some money I will just buy a mount for my Ipad and buy a combo unit when I can.

Thanks Leftcoast

I have the Navionics app on my Iphone and I know it works when I have no service, but my questions is I also have an Ipad and I put the app on it but have yet to take it out and try it. Since my Ipad is only wi-fi I'm wondering if I'm out fishing will it still track my position or will it just be the preloaded charts and not show me where my boat is?
If this works this could save me some money I will just buy a mount for my Ipad and buy a combo unit when I can.

Thanks Leftcoast

It doesn't need a phone or internet connection. It tracks your position by GPS which is a satellite connection. If the ipad has GPS built in then yes, it should work.

perfect yeah it's the new ipad I know it works with maps in the car. So it must work in the boat. Now to find a mount any suggestions?

I actually got a windshield suction mount fro futureshop online $20 for my truck, but i just screwed it to my dash instead of windshield so it didnt block vision too much, its good, and would work on the boat too

The Navionics app is awesome..

I think I prefer it to nobeltec ( laptop computer).
I have both on the boat and often end up using Navionics as a primary nav tool.

just a heads up, i have a 32Gb Ipad 2 with WIFI only....it does not have built in GPS, if you want to use it for GPS functions while not connected tot he internet you need to buy a bluetooth GPS reciever...i bought mine on gpscity.ca for around 100$ ( http://www.gpscity.ca/dual-xgps150-universal-bluetooth-gps-receiver.html ) but its awsome, it acutally has a more sensitive gps reciever then the iphone...if you have an iphone it has built in GPS recieverand utilizes your cellular network to get more accurate connection...just something to think about if your looking at buying a Ipad to use as a Chartplotter...

another thing to look at is cases made by Lifeproof...they make them for iphones, havent seen the ipad versions but they are waterproff to 10ft so would be great on a boat with no top....

check them out here.... http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/ipad-2

I'm a bit confused when you are out on the water do you still need a 3G or Wifi connection, or just GPS/ satellite data.

I'm a bit confused when you are out on the water do you still need a 3G or Wifi connection, or just GPS/ satellite data.

For navionics, all you need is a GPS connection. However, you must download the maps from a wifi or phone internet connection first. Once you have the maps/charts you only ever need GPS for it to work.

For navionics, all you need is a GPS connection. However, you must download the maps from a wifi or phone internet connection first. Once you have the maps/charts you only ever need GPS for it to work.
Thanks, I guess it is similar to the one I have on my laptop. Wasn't sure if Apple had a built in GPS that eliminated the need for an external unit..

Most phones have a built in GPS for 911 calls to work.

As far as I know all Ipads have internal GPS, you might just have to turn it on. On the other hand I would be very concerned about the ipad in damp salt air enviroment. I think within a realtively short time your going to have internal corrosion and eventual failure of your 600 dollar ipad. Lets be honest a marine GPS is a safety item on a boat and if your lost in the fog and your ipad dies you going to wish you put the cash out for that lowrance!

Anyway great App of trip planning and such

Just my two cents

As far as I know all Ipads have internal GPS, you might just have to turn it on. On the other hand I would be very concerned about the ipad in damp salt air enviroment. I think within a realtively short time your going to have internal corrosion and eventual failure of your 600 dollar ipad. Lets be honest a marine GPS is a safety item on a boat and if your lost in the fog and your ipad dies you going to wish you put the cash out for that lowrance!

Just my two cents

Until I bought a Panasonic toughbook all the laptops I had on the boat has issues with the pounding and environment. Good thing they were all free. The iPhone 4s has a gps and navionics works even if you are not in cell coverage.

Just my two cents
No all iPads do not have an internal GPS. Only the iPad with the ability to connect to a phone network have the GPS. You don't have to be connected to the phone network for the GPS to work but only the 3g or 4g iPads have the built in GPS. That said as pointed out above, you can use an external GPS puck with an iPad that doesn't have the internal GPS. You can buy either a bluetooth or a USB GPS puck.

Here's a decent post a friend of mine wrote on his blog that explains things in more detail - http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2012/09/ipad-as-chartplotter-again.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back