GPS Waypoints

adrianna3

Ok, so I'm going through my old handheld GPS (Garmin45) and writing down all of my old waypoint numbers to transfer over to my new Chartplotter. The only problem is that there's a bunch of points that are just numbered so I have no idea where they actually are and not sure I want to keep them. I've fished all over Vancouver Island from Sooke to Winter Harbour. I have a rough idea where they are from, but not exact.

Does anyone know of a website (like a Geocaching site, or surveying site) that you could input a coordinate and have it show you on a map where it is?

Thanks.

Dave

Wow, that was fast. Thanks CIVANO. I'm going to play around on that. I'll let you know how it works out.

Dave

Yeah, something is not right with the way my waypoints and the map data are jiving. For instance, my waypoint N 48* 48.827 by W 123* 49.561 I think is somewhere off of Port Renfrew's Botanical Beach. The map shows a different number format and shows the waypoint near Victoria. I'll have to try something else unless someone else has a better idea. Thanks.

Dave

Yeah, something is not right with the way my waypoints and the map data are jiving. For instance, my waypoint N 48* 48.827 by W 123* 49.561 I think is somewhere off of Port Renfrew's Botanical Beach. The map shows a different number format and shows the waypoint near Victoria. I'll have to try something else unless someone else has a better idea. Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Well you could refer to a chart and do it "Old School" but I punched your co-ords into my Lowrance and your co-ords noted a spot about 2 miles NW of Duncan BC (more or less) ??????? Not even close to PR or Victoria ???
You could also go to google earth and it has bearings noted , might be of some help
GL :)
Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dave when I check those way points on my navionics I end up on land west of Maple Bay?
Scott

Hey Dave when I check those way points on my navionics I end up on land west of Maple Bay?
Scott

Hey Scott , your just east of my mark , maybe a zoom issue but I imput the coord into my lorwrance and it pinpointed NW of Duncan but forsure on land , hmmm interesting ,. did you imput the coord in on your navionics or just scanned ???

See? Everyone gets different spots. I think I'll just put them into my chartplotter and scroll over to them to see where they come up. Thanks for the input guys.

Dave

Ok, I started to play around with my new chartplotter. I just entered the old waypoint and press "SHOW" then it takes me right to the GPS waypoint. Now I remember what and where they are.

Thanks for all the input guys. It's amazing what we can solve when we pool our ideas.

Dave

Back