GOUT?

Merrittboy

Anybody on this site ever had GOUT (oh it hurts)and had it blamed on eating shellfish and too much fish???? Or beer!

I think I've had it recently. Wake up in the night with your big toe hurting like hell for no apparent reason?

I was told to lay off the Lucky's and things would improve. I guess from now on I'll walk with a limp. ;):D

A friend suffers from it.......from what I have seen with him....do NOT drink red wine. He is in considerable pain for a few days after having any red vino....white is better but still not great.

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

I know a few guys who have had bouts of it. Red wine, red meat, mushrooms, beer are some of the things to avoid until it settles down. Apparently very painful and doesn't go away real fast...week or more is common until things improve. Uric (not sure of the spelling) acid is the culprit. Leaves crystal like deposits in the joints...even sounds painful. Good thing there is no joint in the main bone!!! :D

I've had it on and off for years.Bad enough on occasion to have to use crutches.Wild Game organ meat is probably the worst thing for it.My wife won't cook it for me anymore.I've even had it caused by blood pressure medication and had to take a prescribed gout blocker pill along with it.My doctor prescribed a gout pain pill for me to take many years ago and it took all the pain away within an hour.Can't remember what it was called but it sure worked fast.
Dave

After reading more about it, there are not many things I can eat that WOULD NOT possibly set it off, chicken, fish, red meats, even oatmeal which is good for cholesteral! What is the use...lol

quote:Originally posted by vetteman

I've even had it caused by blood pressure medication

Hmmm..... I take those, just started a couple of years ago and this is when I statted getting mild bouts of gout. I knew it wasn't the Lucky... I knew it. :D[^]

It is painful and comes on all of a sudden. For me it lasts a few days, (like 3), then goes away as fast as it arrives. This is undiagnosed by a doc but my symptoms are bang on.

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

quote:Originally posted by vetteman

I've even had it caused by blood pressure medication

Hmmm..... I take those, just started a couple of years ago and this is when I statted getting mild bouts of gout. I knew it wasn't the Lucky... I knew it. :D[^]

It is painful and comes on all of a sudden. For me it lasts a few days, (like 3), then goes away as fast as it arrives. This is undiagnosed by a doc but my symptoms are bang on.

I changed medication and the new stuff didn't give me gout but every BP medication I've ever used has had some sort of side effect.You just can't win with medications.:(I wouldn't wish gout on anybody.
Dave

Yes very painful, kidney stones, I have been told are a form of gout. They say it is the rich man's disease so when do I get rich. I guess there are some medications that do control it, but I too HATE medications and the side effects, there is so much they do not know.. I have read that Black Cherry juice or extract is a natural control and believe it or not, celery!! So if you see a guy eating cherries and celery while outt fishing Renfrew you will no its me... lol. Since men get it 90% of the time, do you think it is the Lord's way of balancing out childbirth for the ladies because it does hurt... LOL. My wife says not even close!!!

My Dr. told me to drink lots of water to increase urine flow and decrease the concentration of Uric acid.

Drinking cherry juice also helps reduce the painand speeds up clearing it up. You get the juice at save on foods.

Drinking cherry juice also helps reduce the painand speeds up clearing it up. You get the juice at save on foods.

quote:Originally posted by black dog

Allopurinol

gout free 12 years:)

That's the one. I have had gout for years. Allopurinal helps your body deal with the acid as a daily pill. If you get an attack there are 2 other pills to take. indomethicin and coltrazine. There is no deffinate cause of gout. Mine gets flared up from processed meats. Might want to get it checked. If you continue to get bouts of gout it can eventually destroy the joint and that hurts like hell. Have had one food done in surgery already and soon the other.

quote:Originally posted by black dog

Allopurinol

gout free 12 years:)

That's the stuff.:D
Dave

Back