Gordon light foot

any idea what illness he had for so long? Unfortunately he looked gray and gaunt for years now. I play his stuff often, loved his story telling.

I first saw him when I was 11 years old (1966) and he was playing at Le Hibou Coffee House in Ottawa. I was a bored clued out kid there with my older brother (22). He had been arm twisted into looking after 35 or so kids 10-17 whose parents were at a convention in Ottawa .

It was the early show and I sitting beside my brother and was jammed into the corner by the stage. Beside me was a large piece of furniture covered in a drop cloth.

Lightfoot comes out and I am bored and uncomfortable. He starts strumming his guitar and I move around to get comfortable and place my arm on this large cloth covered piece of furnature.

Yep it was a piano, and the keyboard cover was up. Of course the sound it makes was horrific and very loud. Having no clue, I push my hands down on the sheet to make the noise stop, now we have another horrible sound . My brother wants to throttle me and I am mortified .

Lightfoot looks over at me and says, "thats my new piano player, you'll hear a lot more from him later in the set".

And he played a great set my brother tells me .

Later I saw him at Massey Hall a few times and then once about 15 years ago in Vancouver. He was not doing well in Vancouver and we left becasue I wanted to remember him for what he was. Later on I understand he got things back together.

My best pal who died last year went to Camp Ahmek and they were finishing a portage and these two guys came ripping over the 'tage and were back on the water in a flash . As they paddled away the guy in the stern turned and said , "Have a great day, I'm Murray McLauchlan, and that's Gordon Lightfoot, pointing to the bowman.

I remember seeing him in 1975 in Toronto as an honoured guest performing on Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review. Dylan introduced him as his favourtie songwriter.

Here is a quick video of the post concert after party at his house in Rosedale.

RIP Gordon,a true legend
A story from my father......he lived on the same street that Gordon Lightfoot lived when he was a
kid growing up in Orilla Ont. They played together. My father said that before his mother and father
had the dry cleaning business that his father drove a pop truck doing deliveries.

my hippy mom from Owen Sound always had gordon lightfoot, joni mitchell, Leonard Cohen or “great speckled bird” playing on the turntable. she saw all these acts in small venues in the sixties

“Sundown” is a song I crank often while fishing.

Canadiana at its finest….

Last edited:
I've seen many times and the last time was October at the Port Theatre in Nanaimo. My wife got back stage passes and we had the opportunity to meet him in Calgary, I was a little star struck so he talked and I listened. He told me he had a stroke a couple weeks before and had to retrain himself to play his guitar left handed. Here's an autographed CD and Playlist from one of his concerts, his guitar player put in in the CD case. RIP Gordon Lightfoot.

Attachments

• 20230502_115119.jpg
    20230502_115119.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 27
I've seen many times and the last time was October at the Port Theatre in Nanaimo. My wife got back stage passes and we had the opportunity to meet him in Calgary, I was a little star struck so he talked and I listened. He told me he had a stroke a couple weeks before and had to retrain himself to play his guitar left handed. A true performer
What a set list!

I could hear every song in my head as I read that list.
There's more on the back of the sheet

Harry Tracy, Desperado (1982) - Many scenes in this movie were filmed in the Quesnel area, in and around the historic Cariboo Gold Rush town of Barkerville, British Columbia, Canada.

Harry Tracy, Desperado (1982) - Many scenes in this movie were filmed in the Quesnel area, in and around the historic Cariboo Gold Rush town of Barkerville, British Columbia, Canada.

OMG I remember when that Desperado movie was shot downtown in Victoria by Market Square. Look closely at the town scenes lot of familiar buildings on Johnson St .Totally forgot about that. That was something to see back in the day. Pretty cool to witness it.

Back