Goofiest gear you've caught Salmon on.

I know I guy that stuck a banana peels into a Rhys Davis Strip Teaser head and caught a few nice springs around Bamfield! (so much for the bananas are bad luck theory). My father-in-law this summer caught big springs in Port Renfrew on a very small pink & yellow apex he uses for lake trout. This whole thread proves to me something that I have felt for a while. That fish have nowhere near the intelligence that we fisherman attribute to them. They have pea sized brains that run almost exlcusively on instict and reactions to basic enviromental stimulus - that is why we can catch them on goofy stuff like listed in this thread. The only reason we attribute so much intelligence to them is we figure that they have to be smart if we can't catch them on a consistant basis, with proven gear & techniques. I think it goes like this. If the fish are there and are hungry and/or biting you will catch them on just about anything that triggers their instictual responeses. If not it doesn't matter what you do or throw at them. That's my two bits.

quote:I think it goes like this. If the fish are there and are hungry and/or biting you will catch them on just about anything that triggers their instictual responeses. If not it doesn't matter what you do or throw at them. That's my two bits.

I totally agree with you on this one. Thats what seperates the good fishermen from the average as well.. the good ones can get the odd fish hooked up even when there off the bite IMO.

pilchards are great bait. I catch them fresh, I actually cast for them with a herring jig while trolling. You know, when you troll through a school of them and your gear suddenly starts to bounce, I then lower a herring jig in the propwash, more times than not I get one, sometimes two or three on one cast. I immediatly cut plug it and send it down. I found that cut plugging them to work the best. I lower it on the downrigger and dont even adjust my speed. Very consistant.... big hogs! They dont last in your bait bucket though, gotta use em fresh!

as for goofy gear, I let the gorbys do that. If I see someone slaying em', I try to see what theyre using and try to follow suit... To each theyre own though.

Back