Good news..very good news

fishingbc

RONNA-RAE LEONARD WILL RUN FOR FEDERAL NDP IN VANCOUVER ISLAND NORTH
Comox Valley Echo
Monday, February 28, 2011

Courtenay City Councillor Ronna-Rae Leonard, the newly-nominated NDP candidate for Vancouver Island North, says the HST, pensions for seniors, and protecting the coast from oil spills will be key issues in the next federal election campaign.
"By working together we will win this riding back for the New Democrats. People know they can count us to stand up for our communities in Parliament," Leonard said after winning the NDP nomination on Sunday.
"I will work to make life more affordable for people, generate jobs, and protect the wild salmon that are so much a part of our culture," she said. "I will work to strengthen public health care by training and hiring more doctors and nurses and investing in home support for our seniors."
"That's the kind of leadership I am offering to the people of Vancouver Island North, and that's the kind of leadership Jack Layton is offering to Canadians across the country."
Leonard said people are disappointed with the Harper Conservatives and are looking to Jack Layton and the New Democrats as a positive alternative.
"People here were upset when John Duncan, along with every other Conservative and Liberal MP, voted to impose the HST on British Columbians," she said. "This is the most blatant example of how the Conservatives have turned their backs on the people of B.C."
"That's why I am so proud that every single New Democrat MP stood up and voted against the HST."
Leonard said she is also proud that the New Democrats have lead the way in Parliament on issues like improving pensions, banning oil tankers on the north coast, and fighting climate change.
The nomination results were announced at a Sunday meeting at the Native Sons Hall in Courtenay. Most NDP members voted by mail ballot, but many others voted in person at the meeting. Leonard won on the first ballot, edging out Port McNeill Town Councillor Shirley Ackland and former Courtenay City Councillor Erik Eriksson.
Guest speaker Peter Julian, MP for Burnaby-New Westminster, said Leonard will join a proud tradition of New Democrat MPs from Vancouver Island North. He paid special tribute to Catherine Bell, who he described as one of the hardest-working MPs in Parliament during her term from 2006 and 2008.
"I am very excited about the nomination of Ronna-Rae Leonard, "said Julian. "She will make a great addition to Jack Layton's team and I look forward to working with her to make a real difference for British Columbians."
Julian said the federal NDP is poised to win more seats in B.C. than ever before. "In BC it is a contest between the Harper Conservatives and the Layton New Democrats," he said. "People know that we're the only alternative to stop a Stephen Harper majority."
A federal election is widely expected this spring. Vancouver Island North is traditionally a close-fought race between the Conservatives and New Democrats.

© Comox Valley Echo 2011​

Completely disagree with her view on the HST, as fact of the matter is from a foreign investment point of view and business point of view it is not bad policy...hst is good economic policy (flame away). However, the I know she would stand up the governments horrible halibut allocation as well as fish farms...so she has my vote purely based on that...and the fact I know the NDP would never form government...what a scary thought.

I have ALWAYS voted Conservative (or Reform, when that was an option) but not no more. I really don't like the way they are headed as to privatization of all our natural resources and their obvious preference towards 'big business' over the average Joe.

I now have a strong preference towards Independent MP's over any with a party affiliation. I want someone who represents ME in parliament not someone who toes the party line (like John Duncan).

I am 100% on board with john duncan being a POS and he needs to go. again 100%. But there is no way in hell you'll see my vote for an ndper!

I know her personally her views on those two are the same as most here....they won't form the govt but as a second choice to whats his name....she got my vote....a vote for her is the only way to rid this island of the scourge that is John Duncan

Completely disagree with her view on the HST, as fact of the matter is from a foreign investment point of view and business point of view it is not bad policy...hst is good economic policy (flame away). However, the I know she would stand up the governments horrible halibut allocation as well as fish farms...so she has my vote purely based on that...and the fact I know the NDP would never form government...what a scary thought.

and your second choice would be?....again hold your nose if you have to its the only way to get rid of Duncan....really

I am 100% on board with john duncan being a POS and he needs to go. again 100%. But there is no way in hell you'll see my vote for an ndper!

vote for her is the only way we are gonna can Johnny boy

I have ALWAYS voted Conservative (or Reform, when that was an option) but not no more. I really don't like the way they are headed as to privatization of all our natural resources and their obvious preference towards 'big business' over the average Joe.

I now have a strong preference towards Independent MP's over any with a party affiliation. I want someone who represents ME in parliament not someone who toes the party line (like John Duncan).

In theory you may be correct in your assumption that the HST is good economic policy if it was revenue neutral. However in practice it is not revenue neutral. It has been a new source of revenue to the provincial government. It has in fact raised the taxes of everyone in BC and all visitors to BC. This new tax takes money out of the pockets of people that would have spent it on other items in the economy. For every dollar you send to the government, in the form of taxes, is one less dollar you have to buy food, clothing, shelter, appliances and cars. Those dollars added up and have a negative effect on all those industries. You hurt those industries and you are hurting the workers of those industries. Basic economics 101. The root of the problem is with the government. They have forgotten what they are there for. They are there to provide essential services to the public. Things like schools, roads, police, fire protection, environmental protection and healthcare. The problem lies when they start spending other people’s money on trivial or special interest projects that have nothing to do running the province. You then need more public employees and civil servants to administer those programs. These types of jobs do not create wealth in our society. They are a burden to the economy. Currently there are more people employed by the government than all other industries combined. We only have to look at Greece to see where that takes you. What’s the solution? Fight all tax increases and curb the money that the government can borrow. Make them accountable to the money they spend just like how we run our own personal finances. Would you buy a new pleasure boat on your visa card if you could not make the payments? Would you expect your children to pay off your lavish spending? Currently this is what is going on right now. If there were one book that I could recommend for all people in BC to read, it would be “Economics in One Lesson” by Henry Hazlitt. It gives you the basic principals of how the economy works and why some government policies are so destructive. We only have to look around the world and see how messed up some countries are now with their failed views on how to run an economy.
Perhaps only common people have common sense.

On a side note there does not seem to be any political party with any common sense.

GLG:D

GLG, You are absolutely right!

"Perhaps only common people have common sense.

On a side note there does not seem to be any political party with any common sense."

That's why I will no longer waste my vote on ANY political party. We need Independents in government!

GLG, You are absolutely right!

"Perhaps only common people have common sense.

On a side note there does not seem to be any political party with any common sense."

That's why I will no longer waste my vote on ANY political party. We need Independents in government!

I plan on getting into politics in the next 10 years...so just remember that :D haha

SerengetiGuide I have read your posts for many years and I think you would make an excellent representative for the North Island. You would get my vote. If you read the book I mentioned it would give you an insight to the basic economic principles that governments should follow. Sadly all governments do not follow them and we seem be making the same mistakes over and over again. I would also like to point out that when the Liberals (Fed) were in power we had some sanity with reducing taxes and getting the deficit under control. I would argue that because of their policy our economy was better able to weather the storm of the last financial mismanagement crisis that occurred (fat cat greed). Personally I have never voted for the Liberals but I think they did a good job with the economy.:eek:
GLG

GLG I agree. And they did a great job with allocations.

Can’t say I agree on that one. Perhaps if some of the people that worked in the finance department had been working in DFO we would not be in this mess we are in today.
GLG

Back