Good Halibut Eatin'

Finished Business

Hey guys, another member put me onto this recipe so I thought I'd share. Its real easy and damn good.

1. Prep some bacon bits.

2. Saute lots of onions with lots of garlic, butter, olive oil, medium heat.
-I used a half onion and two tablespoons of minced garlic for 2 filets from a 10 lb halibut, or enough to feed 4 people with leftovers, though its unlikely.

3. Add halibut and fry ontop of the bed of onions and garlic in the pan. Turn over and cook through until its juicy.

4. Put pan onto a different burner to simmer on low heat.

5. Add bacon bits, salt and pepper to taste, or other spice (I prefer Old Bay).

6. Add minimum 2 Cans of diced tomatoes to fully cover filets.

7. Lightly stir to mix onions, tomatoes and other ingredients.

8. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat, or until the halibut stew starts to gently boil.

While simmering, I recommend making some spanish rice. Once the the rice is ready and the hali has simmered to perfection, serve the fish on top of the rice with a garlic bread side.

As a bonus, there is usually considerable sauce left over, I use this in burritos with refried beans and cheese, as well it makes a great pico de gallo of sorts for fish tacos.

Enjoy.

Great recipe. First attempt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 521
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 523
mmmm. Looks good. I'm always wondering what to do with halibut. The beer batter is good but getting old.

Looks Tasty tasty !!!
My secret recipe with Hali is place a chunk on foil spread pesto all over chunk press 2 garlic cloves into pesto & spread around. Spread some sun dried tomatoes on it & then spread some fetta cheese
on top . Close foil almost all the way & bake or barbi for 25-30 min depending on thickness . Quick & easy . Goes with rice or spice yam & potatoe mixture on my plate . LoL
Enjoy Slick

Finished Business: Thanks for posting this recipe. Your recipe sounds great and is new to me. I have some fresh halibut in the fridge (caught yesterday) and will try your recipe Sunday as I am out for dinner the next two nights.

...Rob

Both recipes sound great.
Thanks guys.
Always looking for new ways to cook white fish.
The pesto one sounds great for the BBQ at the fish camp.

Finished Business: Thanks for posting this recipe. Your recipe sounds great and is new to me. I have some fresh halibut in the fridge (caught yesterday) and will try your recipe Sunday as I am out for dinner the next two nights.

...Rob

Glad to hear its winning some over!

Another great meal I've stumbled onto is a similar version, but instead of halibut, I chop up some prawns scallops, and 1 or 2 whole smoked chorizo sausages.

Just add your meets directly into the simmering pot and give it 20mins or so. This one I use to top spaghetti pasta. Its a definitely winner too.

Enjoy!

This one is very fast, simple, easy and tasty for when you don't want to do a lot of work.

Just cube, chunk up some Halibut. Then wrap a piece of bacon around it and stick a tooth pick in it and place it under the broiler.

Make them a little smaller for appys.

Yummie, thanks for sharing. Was also thinking that could enhance with a little Cilantro.

I have a hot pot that we use mixing Hali, prawns, salmon and scallops. Make a soup base with cocoa nut milk as a base with currie paste, lots of cilantro, then instead of rice use rice noodles. When base is ready, add your seafood. If you like a little more zip, add some Franks Red Hot.

That Franks Red hot worked really well on those prawns you did up for us last year also... :)

Hey guys, another member put me onto this recipe so I thought I'd share. Its real easy and damn good.

1. Prep some bacon bits.

2. Saute lots of onions with lots of garlic, butter, olive oil, medium heat.
-I used a half onion and two tablespoons of minced garlic for 2 filets from a 10 lb halibut, or enough to feed 4 people with leftovers, though its unlikely.

3. Add halibut and fry ontop of the bed of onions and garlic in the pan. Turn over and cook through until its juicy.

4. Put pan onto a different burner to simmer on low heat.

5. Add bacon bits, salt and pepper to taste, or other spice (I prefer Old Bay).

6. Add minimum 2 Cans of diced tomatoes to fully cover filets.

7. Lightly stir to mix onions, tomatoes and other ingredients.

8. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat, or until the halibut stew starts to gently boil.

While simmering, I recommend making some spanish rice. Once the the rice is ready and the hali has simmered to perfection, serve the fish on top of the rice with a garlic bread side.

As a bonus, there is usually considerable sauce left over, I use this in burritos with refried beans and cheese, as well it makes a great pico de gallo of sorts for fish tacos.

Enjoy.

Damn good is right, just cooked up a big batch of this tonight. My new favourite halibut recipe for sure...

Back