Good day on westwood

fowl hook

Went to westwood lake today and caught a 3lb.small mouth bass including alot in the 1-2 range.And i also caught a 4lb. 19in. rainbow trout to top it off that i caught on a shad that i used for the bass.We saw a fish splash and the casted near it thinkin it was a smalmouth not knowing it was the biggest trout of my life.

Way to go F.H., consider yourself lucky as the bass have completely wiped out the natural spawning in that lake..-dirty

The bass wiped out the trouts natural spawning?There seemed to be a ton of trout surfacing and jumpin all over the place could have been a rare sight but ive only fished there 2-3 times and rout seemed to be all over the place there when we are bass fishing,we've even hooked 3 or 4 nice sized trout while bass fishing.

Don't get me wrong guy's.. There are fish of both species in the lake. I witnessed literally tens if not hundreds of young juvenile bass finning on the surface in mid may of this year. I was only giving the congrats on a fine fish.
Ten years ago there were no bass in Westwood and the lake managed to put out some decent trout. (witnessed a seven pounder from shore about 12 years ago) Now they stock it with sterile trout for some reason.. As kids we would watch the natural spawn go on in the creek at the bottom of the lake.. Go figure.. Another senceless introduction of a non-native species I guess.--Let's hope there are a few more that might make it up into the creek to spawn.-dirty

interestingly enough, I have a biologist friend who took pictures of some nice 'bows spawning on the lakeshore(this is very rare) and in creeks at the north and south end of the lake. this was 2 years ago.

Back