Goldstream

tubbed out

did everyone see in the Gazette

"five male chinook entered the river only to find there no females to spawn with "

yikes whats going on

Sooke river 8 females and 9 male

nit nat 8000 fish down from 15000

I just came from a cheque presentation to the Jack Brooks hatchery in Sooke. The are producing 10% of what they did last year. Words like catastrophe were thrown around. Apparently this is the situation at Nitinat too. Normally Nitinat can supplement the Sooke hatchery but this year they don't have any they can afford to give up. Apparently this is the same story everywhere. Not looking good.

That figures. I just invested (not the correct term I know) heavily in a nice fishing boat just to see the fishery collapse right in front of my eyes.

I've had 10 good years of fishing mostly WCVI and feel fortunate. Hope it continues.

Dan

I would not spear fish in the river even if it was within my
right to do so...[xx(]
They deserve a chance to spawn and reproduce after making it that far.
Just my opinion.

Hear hear RS!
Keep the spears,hooks and nets out of the estuaries and rivers!Poor buggers deserve a break.
Do we really need to play catch and release with half dead salmon?

you are right, Hootchiebob.

Several years ago, I was excited in going chum fishing on Cowichan
River. I have caught and released many chums. I realized those chums were very old, fragile, and nearly rotten. I felt guilty. Those chums should be left alone after their many miles migration routes.

I'd rather to fish for winter steelies.

I thought I would put a link to the Gazette article. Give it a read. http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/goldstreamgazette/news/11073036.html
The article is food for thought to me. The Springs I have in my freezer are from Alberni Inlet, Big Q, and Fair Harbour. I know the rivers for the first 2 and have not heard of bad returns to there. I have fish heads at DFO from Fair Harbour and I’m waiting for the letters. Heard they were USA bound fish but will wait for confirmation. I bonked a few last winter at Kitty Coleman (Cowichan residents?). I don’t always have a pen but I am sure that I have not taken more than 15 this year. Note to self, put pen in tackle box put details on licence save to show grand kids what it was like back then.
My point. What’s a guy to do?
Half their quota to 5 inside and 10 outside a year.
Do catch and release for the other half.
Stay home burn less fuel (reduce CO2).
Point fingers at DFO, Fish Farms, Commercials, Recreational or Global Warming.
I sure don’t want to be part of the problem.
We have 15 hatcheries on the Island.
Low returns to South Island hatcheries and one with next to no returns is insane.
It darn near makes me speechless.
GLG

Fishspoon do you here what you are saying? You would rather fish for a steelhead that has much less numbers on the coast in a river than chum? A steelhead took the same ocean route as a chum and is there for the same purpose.

Back