Going Old School

profisher

I have been waiting for all the paintable parts for my 1969 9.5 Johnson Sportwin outboard to be returned from the body/paint shop. Got them all back a couple weeks ago and have a good start on re-assembly. Should have it running in a couple weeks. Will be putting it on the 12ft Thornes aluminum I bought a couple years ago. The same boat and motor I had when I launched from our cabin in Gordon’s Beach…. a cabin we still have. So I’ll be going full circle soon.

Attachments

• 0F4CBE0F-B3F6-4E2A-9FC4-699298E412A4.jpeg
    0F4CBE0F-B3F6-4E2A-9FC4-699298E412A4.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 0721492D-986F-41E4-ACCB-095DD70D83C2.jpeg
    0721492D-986F-41E4-ACCB-095DD70D83C2.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 151
I have been waiting for all the paintable parts for my 1969 9.5 Johnson Sportwin outboard to be returned from the body/paint shop. Got them all back a couple weeks ago and have a good start on re-assembly. Should have it running in a couple weeks. Will be putting it on the 12ft Thornes aluminum I bought a couple years ago. The same boat and motor I had when I launched from our cabin in Gordon’s Beach…. a cabin we still have. So I’ll be going full circle soon.
Maybe there will be some old school fish waiting for you.

Well some small odds and ends parts finally showed up so I've been able to get back to some reassembly of my 9.5 Johnson. Got it to the point that it looks like an outboard again. Still some time consuming small parts to piece back together...but I can see this on the water soon now.

Attachments

• johnson.jpg
    johnson.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 93
Well some small odds and ends parts finally showed up so I've been able to get back to some reassembly of my 9.5 Johnson. Got it to the point that it looks like an outboard again. Still some time consuming small parts to piece back together...but I can see this on the water soon now.
cool

No Luck I have 3 more in various states of tear down which I robbed the best not available parts from. I will be selling what remains to recover some of my costs. Not sure yet if I will go Peetz slip weights on heavier rods or go the original blue manual downriggers. Maybe Scotty has some kicking around they need to find a home for? I think the 12ft Thornes and the 9.5 will see some fresh water use to.

Anyone have a good Johnson/Evinrude day tank hose, with primer bulb and ends they want to move on? I bought a good day tank years ago but it came without the hose. I'm in Victoria

And it runs, just have to adjust the carb. Will take it to the lake and break in the rings then set up the carb. Just have to put a couple more turns on the rope return spring so the pull handle sits tight to the faceplate. Also need to pry open a couple of obsolete wire ends to rewire the kill switch. Here it is running for the 1st time in decades...ran it for 5 minutes just to make sure it would run and pump water.

And it runs, just have to adjust the carb. Will take it to the lake and break in the rings then set up the carb. Just have to put a couple more turns on the rope return spring so the pull handle sits tight to the faceplate. Also need to pry open a couple of obsolete wire ends to rewire the kill switch. Here it is running for the 1st time in decades...ran it for 5 minutes just to make sure it would run and pump water.
I love this. Well done, bringing her back to life.

Back