Going around the island this summer

alctel

Hi there,

I'm sailing around the island this summer, from July 23rd to August 21st and looking for some general ideas of where the good fishing areas to hit up are. I'm a feeling I'm going to be too early for many of the big runs?

I'm starting from Victoria and heading east and then North.

Aim to be in desolation for around July 25th- end of monthish, and at the top of the island for around August 7thish, depending on winds. Going offshore on the west coast until Tofino, where we will hug the coast once more. May tuck into Winter Harbour if the weather is looking rough.

I've got downriggers and fish the waterfront fairly often (and occasionally the bank) so I'm pretty comfortable with the basics.

Does anyone have some very general pointers of cool spots to hit up fishing on the way round, and what species are good to target where? And what times the runs are usually? I've been doing some research but there are SO many places...

those dates should be good just about anywhere I would think. should be prime time or at least a fair amount of fish around in just about all locations.

Follow "the highway" down the west side of the Island once you get below the Brooks if staying "offshore".....and there WILL be fish out there.

If you've got good water off Solander it can be great too into August when you'll be heading 'down'.

those dates should be good just about anywhere I would think. should be prime time or at least a fair amount of fish around in just about all locations.

Good to hear. I'm not a good fisherman so fingers crossed!

Follow "the highway" down the west side of the Island once you get below the Brooks if staying "offshore".....and there WILL be fish out there.

If you've got good water off Solander it can be great too into August when you'll be heading 'down'.

Do you mean the shipping lanes? And Tuna? Or is that too close to shore?

Your best bet is going to be to mount a rod holder on the back of the boat. Get a long salmon rod and troll a herring or cop car spoon 6 feet behind a banana lead. Drag it all day long from light till dark while sailing. You will hit fish and its a very simple and effective setup.

Do you mean the shipping lanes? And Tuna? Or is that too close to shore?

No....following the 50ish fathom line down the west side of the Island. It's commonly referred to as the "highway".

In saying that....around 10th of August last year when I was in Kyuquot the tooners were not that far offshore in the warm water!

Not sure how far "offshore" you are thinking of going?

No....following the 50ish fathom line down the west side of the Island. It's commonly referred to as the "highway".

In saying that....around 10th of August last year when I was in Kyuquot the tooners were not that far offshore in the warm water!

Not sure how far "offshore" you are thinking of going?

I was thinking 50 - 100 naut miles. Though I like the sound of that 50 fathom line, thanks - I may do that instead, if I haven't caught much by then.

I'm guessing run the riggers close to the bottom?

Your best bet is going to be to mount a rod holder on the back of the boat. Get a long salmon rod and troll a herring or cop car spoon 6 feet behind a banana lead. Drag it all day long from light till dark while sailing. You will hit fish and its a very simple and effective setup.

I thought I'd be going too fast and too shallow for salmon - I sail at 5 to 8 knots normally. I know when I use the downriggers I have to slow down to 1.5 - 2.5 knots by furling sails or using my engine

Last edited:
I was thinking 50 - 100 naut miles. Though I like the sound of that 50 fathom line, thanks - I may do that instead, if I haven't caught much by then.

I'm guessing run the riggers close to the bottom?

I thought I'd be going too fast and too shallow for salmon - I sail at 5 to 8 knots normally. I know when I use the downriggers I have to slow down to 1.5 - 2.5 knots by furling sails or using my engine

That far off....you're in tuna country!! ;) I did it once out of Tofino and we were 50ish miles out for tooners.

If you do go for salmon you may want to run your engine....and you'll find salmon at all depths from bottom to right up high; just have to play with depths and find where they're at.

Go to Trotac and pick up a few green on green Zuker broom tail lures. Put them out about 75 ' behind the boat on some cheap hali rods. You fish em right on the surface. If your into the blue clear water on the North end of the Island and the water temp is anywhere from 57 and up you could hit some long fins (Albacore tuna). With the speed of the boat it is a no brainer if the water conditions are right.

Read up on tuna handling and make sure you have lot's of ice or a freezer on board. They are a Pelagic and need to be dealt with quite differently than salmon. Lot's of threads on here.

Last edited:
5 knots might be OK for running a 6 or 7inch Tomic plug. Probably too fast a speed for the riggers, but you could always just run it with 12 - 16 Oz slip weights. You won't get too deep, but not all fish are running near bottom.

You may run into schools of Coho offshore that are right on the surface. You can have great fun catching coho with only an ounce or two right on the surface running bucktail flies. Coho love casing a fast moving fly.

You will catch the best looking and tasting coho on the same set up I described. Deep red meat on them. They hit the tuna gear just like anything else.

Hi alctel. I have fished from a boat under sail before. Not sure I'd use a down rigger while sailing as you could get overwhelmed & end-up with the DR wire fouled on your running gear. You will be passing thru some epic Salmon fishing locations. What i suggest is to do some planning & pick some spots to do some dedicated fishing either still/drift fishing with jigs, or trolling under motor. There are several resort operations south of Brooks; you could research their locations & watch for their boats (RADAR/visual) & fish where they are fishing.
Same goes when you are far offshore for Tuna; watch for boats. When fishing while running I'd either use the Tuna lures when far offshore or a large spoon (Coyote or Tomic) with a 4oz trolling sinker 6ft ahead. These brands of spoons work well at a variety of speeds. Jigs work awesome for Springs. I had an experience off Portland point where i wanted to jig Halibut on the bottom but could never get the jig to the bottom before a Spring took it. 3 favorite colors are green, green & more green. White is good for Halibut.

Great stuff, thanks guys. Def gonna take a few days off to dedicate solely to fishing (and prawning/crabbing)

Back