Gmo Salmon

vanisland

Well Health Canada has approved sale of genetically modified salmon. It will be in grocery stores soon, and the best part is they don't even need to label it gmo!

This is going to get interesting.
Expect FUD coming from the fish farm industry as this is a big threat to their business model.

Our government sure does look after our well being...
I guess someone has to be a guinea pig for these frankenfish....

I'm betting fish farmers will be lined up to try and farm these freaks of nature. Why not. No disease or virus's(for those who really care about the difference) fast growth and large size. Bet they can't wait to get there hands on some of these guys.

Copied from castanets news service.
NDP health critic Don Davies is questioning a decision by Health Canada, to allow a U.S. company to sell genetically-modified fish to Canadians.

No label is required, according to the government body.

AquaBounty Technologies Inc. is able to produce a farmed fish that grows much faster by taking DNA from a chinook salmon and a sea eel and then merging that with an Atlantic salmon.

"I know that there's health concerns about this fish," said Davies. "A lot of Canadians are very conscious, and increasingly so, about what they're ingesting."

The B.C. Salmon Farmers Association wonders why there is no labelling requirement.

"We think there's certainly going to be consumer confusion if there's a transgenic fish that's not labelled next to a fish grown in a natural way in an ocean environment," said Jeremy Dunn, executive director.

The genetically-modified salmon could be available within a year.

-with files from CTV News

Back