Glo Balls - Who loves'em?!?

Osama Bin Hopper

So, after the seasons blood has been washed off the decks, what is the verdict on the glow in the dark cannonballs now available?

Gotta be some 'gadget' guys who were on them right away and worked them over this season. C.S.???

Don't have one yet, but steer me the right way masses. I am a sheep!

ya get em, I used them most of the year had some good fishing this year, it probably wasn't all the glo balls but I will be fishing with them from now on. At the beginingof the season Iwas only fishing a glo ball on one side and it was getting most of the hits so I started fishing them both sides, they seem to work good definately worth the extra 5 bucks.

to your flock, your need be true…...
I heard of a guy with Glo-Balls once.....

...thank me or shoot me - I introduced them this last season to a few stores on the Island. We have been playing with different colored cannon balls for about five years now - many places all over Vancouver Island. After playing around with glow dink wieghts and small 1 to 2 lbs. balls for hali and groundfish, also slip balls for cut pluggin' - I co-developed the 12 and 15lb balls that many of you bought this past season. Most guys are happy with their season results, some are still sceptical and a few are un-decided.

We are happy with them...and we will continue to make and sell them.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

RVP,we all need to know, after your "playing around" what were the results? We need data!!! [?]

Quote from Mr. Killer,

"I was only fishing a glo ball on one side and it was getting most of the hits so I started fishing them both sides"

Seems clear to me.

Tort, no slight on Mr Killer, because I know the man has credentials. It's just that "one mans experience does not a trend make"
So I would like to hear from the developer. If he has any data that would be interesting.
What say ye RVP ?

There is a lot more to downrigger fishing than just attaching a cannonball and dropping it into the water to your desired depth. There are many factors to concider - the weight, shape or style and of coarse the color of cannonball are all factors that can contribute to your success or lack thereof.

Most anglers buy into the theory that cannonballs need to be as unobtrusive as possible. Most anglers use natural lead, black or other dark-colored cannonballs because they believe that they become invisible or inconspicuous at certain depths. I have a friend that directed me onto colored DR balls aboout five years ago who swears by chartreuse cannonballs. He claimed that they helped to attract fish to his gear. The number of fish he puts to the boat each trip would seem to lend some credence to that theory. I asked him to work with me to see what effect color would have at different depths, speeds and light conditions[ie, overcast or bright clear days] and water clarity.

We tried colors like black, red, white, orange and chartreuse...our best balanced results were on white, chartreuse and a 50/50 chartreuse and flo. orange colored ball.

Orange will not be visible in the deeper depths as it is the second color to turn black and almost disapear underwater. The silhouette of the ball will be what the fish see. After having success with colored balls - I decided to do glow...as my smaller glow balls and dink wieghts as well as sliders for cut plug, were successful on salmon, hali and other groundfish...born the 12lb. and 15lb. glow ball, and they work.

Listing colors in order of preference; chartreuse, glow, 50/50[chart-orange], and white - after these, we did not find that there was much difference between that and a plain lead ball when opting to use the ball as an attractor. We are now experimenting with UV enhanced colors...

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

So I had to bite on this one RVP if your gear is 20 to 30 ft back from a cannon ball how is this going to help you?????not to rain on your product I fish with homemade pure lead cannon balls and think I do quite well for big springs!!!

Flasher and anchovie is what attracts the fish to your hook last time I checked your not supposed to put a hook on your downrigger ball.

Hey heres a product for you how about colored downrigger wire and quick change snaps.

Sorry not conviced by this one just my opinion I have done tons and tons of tests on different cannonballs regarding voltage,weight,size etc maybe one day ill come up and chat with you about it all!!!

Wolf

Probaly right but think about how us fisherman will buy anything that we think might give a slight advantage even though it ushually doesnt.Im definatly guilty of this.good marketing product even if it doesnt produce in the field

Well here is something to think about starting with the things I have seen:
Cast iron cannonballs??? where are they now???didnt really work and they were supposed to create less voltage and improve fishing
hmmmmmmm B.S.

And how about the great shark with prism tape at $109 a pop

presentaion of your bait catches fish not a cannon ball

"KEEP IT SIMPLE"

GOOD LUCK WOLF

well they don't seem to hurt, maybe you should try them, I think CS had a real good point they don't seem to make a diffrence until you start fishing deep,

I haven't used them, but I'm a little more than sceptical. I remember twenty some years ago, guys dowsing their boats, gear and everything that was in contact with the water with WD-40...and swore by it. What attracted the fish? The lures, flashers or the boats?
I have used the shark shaped cannon balls for a number of years but only for reducing drag in strong currents in the straits.
I would never presume that they were attracting fish no matter what colour they were.
Doing a double blind test with the same gear, same boats and techniques would be a little more diffinative though.
If this glo/chartruese theory is correct, how about purple haze for next season?

LOL - Uhmmm, Oh okay...LOL

Needless to say, cast iron balls are still around...they came out when the lead ban scare came out a few years ago...cast iron balls only purpose was to replace lead...that was it.

The sharks claim to fame was in the Great Lakes and then migrated west...that is why they were so damn expensive.

I really don't care if you buy glow balls or plain lead, that is your choice and preference. The only reason that they are in stores is because we needed to spread the cost over the volume and that's why we had to make so many, that way they become cost effective - I have enough chart, and glow in my personal stash to last 10 years...they both impooved our catch ratio, in fact all colors were better than plain lead.

I may not make them this year anyway due to cost of raw materials...I'd hate to have to put them into a store and onto the shelf for a "C" note. That would make me puke! Needless to say, one of our suppliers is suggesting that a regular black coated 15lbs will hit the $90.00 mark in 2008.

The easiest thing for me to do is keep it in my shop...distribution is alot of extra work that I really don't feel like I have extra time to devote - jeepers! I already work 10 to 12 hours a day in the shop, six days a week, and then go home and work on products - blah, blah, blah...I am thinking that fishing sounds more enticing than making cannon balls or other lures. Hhmmmmm...Maybe Wolf has something, there??

...it is what it is!

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Well here is something to think about starting with the things I have seen:
Cast iron cannonballs??? where are they now???didnt really work and they were supposed to create less voltage and improve fishing
hmmmmmmm B.S.

And how about the great shark with prism tape at $109 a pop

presentaion of your bait catches fish not a cannon ball

"KEEP IT SIMPLE"

GOOD LUCK WOLF

I can only imagine how many big Chinooks and Coho are running around out there without teeth after testing out that half and half model.:D

Actually am using the cast iron balls and catching fish but I am not too sure its the cannonballs doing the trick.
Colour of the cannonball ........maybe if you look at it bringing the fish over to have a look and then trailing off to notice the trailing hook and bait ...........possible ?

AL

Back