Gibbs Delta in Chile

I actually watched the whole video and I was impressed with some of the cinematography.
Great to hear the success story of the introduction of Chinook salmon down there.
Interestingly, when there is a threat of Atlantic salmon getting loose in BC, we collectively all freak out. Meanwhile all around the world trout (rainbows and browns) and salmon (chinook)have become targets in destination fisheries frequented by folks with the funds to chase them. It's a wild double standard we - collectively as anglers- have. The salmon are literally an invasive species. Just a thought that occurs to me every time I watch a video from South America, New Zealand or Lake Ontario.

Good point but I got the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that the Chinook were consciously introduced via hatcheries, not escapees from salmon farms.
It seems apparent that an individual’s level of concern depends on whether they believe any non-indigenous species is invasive or that a species can be successfully introduced to a new environment. I personally subscribe to the notion that an invasive species is “an alien species whose introduction does or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to human health.” Having no knowledge of the rationale behind the Chinook salmon introduction in Chile, I have no opinion on whether it represents a problem or a benefit to the aquatic ecosystem and the people living around it.
I do share others’ concerns regarding invasive species like Atlantic salmon in BC and Asian carp in US waterways that are known to crowd out competing indigenous specious.

Guilt free fishing, you are targeting an invasive species. Kill them all!

Interesting article, looks balanced. Also looks like a combination of intentional release and escapees.
Good addition, or bad invader?
Thanks for posting that. It provides some interesting background but no real observations of negative impacts; just speculation of possible negative impacts. You’d think after this many years Chile would have documented some of these impacts?

Interesting but most of the source materials are very old.
Did not seem to have much bias, but also not much depth.
I found it most interesting for the intentional and escapee origins.

Interesting but most of the source materials are very old.
Did not seem to have much bias, but also not much depth.
I found it most interesting for the intentional and escapee origins.
Noted; that was the interesting background I was referring to.
Before watching the videos in this thread I hadn’t even heard of Chinook being introduced in Chile.

WC is very similar to Gibbs as they bring the vast majority of stuff in from China.

All the fishing rods, lure blanks, rings, swivels etc come here on a shipping container.

So not exactly local Canadian made…. Perhaps Canadian painted.

View attachment 91706
He does paint them here but the product comes from the same place.

The Gibbs trip is over, they did mention hogs are there but that this was not the right time to fish for them.

The Gibbs trip is over, they did mention hogs are there but that this was not the right time to fish for them.
The fish they were catching looked like huge feeders, I’m curious to find out if they were mature fish or not I bet those are next years fish there

I've met a few of the Gibbs guys. The few I've met have been great guys and avid fishermen. My issue is Gibbs keep buying all the tackle companies, then start manufacturing tackle in China. I just bought ten Gibbs spoons in the original packaging from the 90s. Much better quality. Nothing against China, I just don't think they have a great reputation when it comes to quality manufacturing.
Totally agree regarding their business practices

Speaking of farmed Salmon there's an area in Chile called Aysen where there are some Coho raising operations-true to the old adage that the world is always shrinking the other day I saw Aysen Coho for sale locally.

This guy nailed a hog
I do not know why our Government in their infinite wisdom can not go down to Chili and get some
genetics from these fish back up to the pacific northwest. If they can be transported there they can
be transported back .

Back