Gibbs-Delta Aquires O'Ki

ha ha seen some Yankees down south on social media stocking up on oki flashers as well.... even they are concerned

u all might want to think about any of the custom coloured teaser heads and spoons that Oki produced.... once there gone they maybe gone..At this this point no one is sure will be gone and what will continue in the line up... If any of you love your Betsey and super betsey flasher .. hmmm there dis appearing super fast .....

I look at the prices of Rhys Davis Teasers and I'm a aghast at what they sell for. Aiyee...

Hot Spot can do the fangled O'ki and Gibbs stuff too....they already do have a few replications I have seen.

Then again....how many flashers does one need?

O'ki has already put it up on their website to contact Gibbs-Delta. Dang that was fast!

Speaking of some of the interesting things I have noticed...

What we no longer hear of in reports:
Gypsy spoons ...I recall the Flamin' Finney, Korsch's Killer, Flamin' Hans.... (don't see any of these anymore). The Punk Skunk was a gooder that actually worked...but that colour is long discontinued.
"No Bananas" spoon (this spoon was on frickin' fire when it was introduced) or so everyone said...but you rarely hear of this spoon anymore...
"IrIsh Cream" by Silver Horde...this spoon was the end all and be all in the Lower Strait from Jan-June for a while...2010-2013......not in reports...

And other assorted stuff. Even some of the must have flashers...we don't hear about them in fishing reports anymore. Now it's the next series of flasher...another "guide series".
It seems the pro-staff go from "this item" to the "next item" and the one after that.
I get the picture....seems the "flavour of the month" no longer exists....or the moment sales of a particular pattern tapers off....it's onto the next pattern.

Was at A&N on the way home from work picking up a couple of knick knacks and the cheapest prices for their product were there by far. Found rip off pricing on crab traps...which I wanted to pick up some new ones....but passed and left before the meter expired from my quarters worth of time.

Even Silver Horde has introduced tweaks and variations on their spoons. Like give me a break.

Get your hands on the things you want and fast from O'ki.

I have noticed that Gibbs is ripping off a few O'ki developed patterns in the last few months...already....damn.

I estimate that the landed cost of a Gibbs flasher from China is less than $4 and a spoons is less than $2 based on my previous job as Ops Manager she working for an Import/Export company before my current gig.

This is what made in China buys you (COO and a sick boat):

Attachments

• IMG_0277.PNG
    IMG_0277.PNG
    734.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0276.PNG
    IMG_0276.PNG
    583.9 KB · Views: 83
That explains all the changes at Gibbs. The owner is an accountant. Lord save us from the bean counters and the bureaucrats.

I can't speak to the positives Gibbs has done in the community, as I am not familiar with that. If they fund restoration or enhancement projects I applaud them for that.

I can only speak to what I have encountered with their merger/takeovers. I used to use a lot of the Delta Tackle hoochies in the smaller and larger Hali sizes. They had a relatively small line of hoochies, but it had some of my most productive patterns in their line up. The ones that were my favorites have all been discontinued since their merger. Their bottom fishing lures have been similarly purged. If the gear is still available it is not around in the heavier weights I prefer.

So sorry, if you feel we are beating up on Gibbs for no reason. I think there is a lot of resentment towards what they are doing in the local tackle marketplace.

I just really don't look forward to seeing the Delta Tackle scenario repeated with my favorite flasher manufacturer. I don't think most are being paranoid with their expectations that Oki's production (what remains) will be moved to China. That will be a sad day for the workers and Oki's loyal customers.

Hard to explain as u would have to be involved in all that goes on in the back ground that keeps fisheries open and available for all to fish....that being said.. Gibbs pays tax's, employees people .. needs hydro... heat like the rest of us... .. . for me I'm very happy that Oki Tackle has stayed in Canada and is under Canadian ownership... as Fishtofino says .. there other options available if you so choose.... there is always 2 sides of a coin... just something to think about before piling on a Canadian company... since when is profit a bad word.... ask your boss at your next pay day what he thinks of profit.... food for though?

Last edited:
One thing which is interesting is that Gibbs has 8000 products.

Depending on what tackle store is accessible to you... a lot of the tackle they have may or may not be available for you to purchase as it is not stocked....Which may or may not be a bad thing but it would be nice is a greater variety of tackle options are available for the adoring public.

There are some Gibbs Products I am a big fan of....thankfully I know just where to find them at PNT... ;)

Going to step in here very "lightly" with a word of caution to not take this thread off the rails. These two quotes below, while not completely crossing any lines in regard to our posting guidelines, do start to head into areas of assumption and make it appear that the company, owners and executives are somehow "bad" because they are conducting their business just like any other company might in our free enterprise system.

"This is what made in China buys you (COO and a sick boat):"

"That explains all the changes at Gibbs. The owner is an accountant. Lord save us from the bean counters and the bureaucrats."

Feel free to talk about buying local, your favourite tackle items of today and of days gone by etc. but do not start to comment on things assumed and slag the company just because you don't like what is happening in the market place. And remember, for every brand that disappears, new ones tend to take their place in the market, with sometimes new and innovative ideas, that become a standard for the next few decades. Andrew P's spoons and the rejuvenation of the Peetz brand are but a couple that quickly come to mind.

Brian

Going to step in here very "lightly" with a word of caution to not take this thread off the rails. These two quotes below, while not completely crossing any lines in regard to our posting guidelines, do start to head into areas of assumption and make it appear that the company, owners and executives are somehow "bad" because they are conducting their business just like any other company might in our free enterprise system.

"This is what made in China buys you (COO and a sick boat):"

"That explains all the changes at Gibbs. The owner is an accountant. Lord save us from the bean counters and the bureaucrats."

Feel free to talk about buying local, your favourite tackle items of today and of days gone by etc. but do not start to comment on things assumed and slag the company just because you don't like what is happening in the market place. And remember, for every brand that disappears, new ones tend to take their place in the market, with sometimes new and innovative ideas, that become a standard for the next few decades. Andrew P's spoons and the rejuvenation of the Peetz brand are but a couple that quickly come to mind.

Brian

If you feel like my post was not appropriate why not just contact me directly via PM or e-mail instead of making an "Example" of my post? I would have been happy to chat about with you and even just delete it if you felt strongly about it.

I mainly was joking around but there are some truths and as you say some assumptions.

Truth: Rob works for Gibbs (assumption: they pay him)
Truth: Gibbs has some items made overseas.
Truth: Rob recently got a new boat (assumption: he paid for it. If he did it may have been with money from his employment from Gibbs which profits from sales of some products made overseas)

Which any and all of the previous is not really my business or concern.

I apologize for my post made with some assumptions if came across as trying to slag Gibbs or Rob.

At the boat show I personally talked with Rob and expressed my concern about potential changes made to the current Oki tackle production.

I am not trying to say a company or person is "bad" for the way they choose to run their company. That is their deal and up to individuals if they choose to support by purchasing products or not.

On this forum I am not trying to offend anyone and apologize if my post may have offended anyone. There is a huge wealth of knowledge and tons of great people I have either met personally or spoken with via PM from the forum.

I ask of you to please contact me directly if you feel I post anything which may be considered violating the posting guidelines. If you would like my phone number to speak to me in person I will happily provide it to you.

Thank you,
Gabe

In most situations we use PM or email to communicate any serious breaches of our posting guidelines or just remove or edit the content, keeping in mind that every situation is unique. Once in awhile we take the opportunity to use the situation in an educational way for all members to see. As discussed, neither you or TBG crossed the line in a way that required a reprimand and I doubt, based on your posting history, that you will be someone who will require such attention in the future, but the piling on effect that does occur after the statement you made lead me to take a proactive approach and gently remind everyone to not head down that path.
I am not going to get into anymore debate on a point by point basis with regards to your above post but I will say my interjection in the thread was not intended to be personal or to embarrass you, but we run a delicate balance between keeping the forum on track and being accused of being heavy handed censors. We try our best to not interfere and remove entire threads that start to skew in a direction that cannot be tolerated and feel being proactive in situations that help educate or remind all members where that fine line is can be beneficial in maintaining that balance.
I trust you can appreciate our position on this and let the thread evolve. This will be the last post I make on this subject here.

Brian

Back