Getting set up for prawns.

Jencourt

Hey everyone.
In the process of getting set up and I have a few questions. I will first start by saying I hope to do most of my prawning aground Comox Campbell River area.

First question is how long of a rope is recommended for a two trap string assuming I will be from 200-350 feet of water? I have one set at 450 long.Thought I read something that people use 600feet?

Second question is I will be using 28" commercial. As I look at them I have option for steel coated or stainless.What would you buy?

Third Question is do you add weight to your traps and if so what do you use? I also have heard of adding a 8-10lb cannonball at end of string before first trap? I asume that is a practice used for the quadra are as the current is so strong?

Final point is that I have purchased nothing so far but am on the hunt for good quality used. We are looking for 8 traps. I see some locally on Craigslist all the time. Anyone get any from there?

Thanks for any info you may offer.

Cheers{ Ray

Hey everyone.
In the process of getting set up and I have a few questions. I will first start by saying I hope to do most of my prawning aground Comox Campbell River area.

First question is how long of a rope is recommended for a two trap string assuming I will be from 200-350 feet of water? I have one set at 450 long.Thought I read something that people use 600feet?

Second question is I will be using 28" commercial. As I look at them I have option for steel coated or stainless.What would you buy?

Third Question is do you add weight to your traps and if so what do you use? I also have heard of adding a 8-10lb cannonball at end of string before first trap? I asume that is a practice used for the quadra are as the current is so strong?

Final point is that I have purchased nothing so far but am on the hunt for good quality used. We are looking for 8 traps. I see some locally on Craigslist all the time. Anyone get any from there?

Thanks for any info you may offer.

Cheers{ Ray

I prawn all the time locally, and I never use more than 450ft of rope out of Comox, plus I havent been using leaded rope, although I do weight each line. I drop my two traps (unweighted) and then set about 5lbs of weight down in front of second trap. More weight can be used, but I havent found it necessary unless you plan on leaving your traps out overnight or in bad weather. Plus the line hauler has enough of a time pulling 2 traps and the weight as it is. Buy used steel round commercial traps (they are nice and heavy), you can normally get them for about $50 each with a bait bucket. I think I have the number of the guy that was selling a few hundred locally, of which I purchased probably a dozen over the years, PM me if you want his#.

I just bought some used commercial traps from Redfin net in Campbell river. They are stainless and nice and heavy they also have the bait cups. I found the slotted ones worked best for me and don't forget to suspend the cup from the top of the trap. Good luck

Hi Ray. I've done a fair amount of prawning in our area and find 450 ft. is a good length. I don't fish any deeper than 350. I run 75 ft.between traps and weight the traps with some used heavy duty roller chain which I zap strapped on. You might want to use some additional weight on the line if you fish in an area with tidal current. I have large round stainless traps and find they fish better than the smaller traps. If you have a lead on used commercial traps that might be the way to

Sorry my auto correct was on. I ment to type reddin net. I will be home Monday if you want to have a look at my traps. Seagle is right the commercial traps will out perform the sporty trap every time.

I bought some 31" commercial from a lady in Nanaimo or Victoria cant remember which for 40.00 each (probably would have taken less too) then 20.00 to greyhound them over to me.
she sells them on Ebay and has 2 different sizes 31's and 38's as well, her seller ID is 3200nadine I know she had lots but none listed right now, I would just contact her through her ebay page
if your interested
Tim

Just found her phone numbers

250 751-4525 Victoria

250 479-4414 Nanaimo

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info folks. I will be looking at the 28"commercial traps and sounds like the 450'shots of rope are good for what I need.

Cheers : Ray

Hey Ray, Don't forget to get your self a good chart. Cause you may be told to look at it if your wondering where to go. :)

Personally I will share my Hit & Miss spots with you. Drop by after work this week and I will show them to you. But Area 14 sucked last season. I sure hope we can catch a few more this year.

I prawn allot around CR in the winters and have noticed a marked improvement in success once i lined the bottoms of my traps with chain and started using 2 or 3 one pound weights on the line. When it's windy or prawning in currenty areas it makes it allot easier to hit your spots. When using that much rope it can act like a big sail when you are setting your traps and the difference in hitting the right depths can mean the difference between having full traps or having to filter through hundreds of those squat lobsters or whatever they are called.

Cheers

Go with stainless traps for sure, not the plastic coated ones.

all along the east side of quadra , from francisco pt. to rebecca spit is good at 250..

When does the commie season start in the Vancouver area? I like to get out before them if I can.

I bought some Bauer sea traps they are rectangle traps that are made in Victoria. They worked great so far for me!!!

I prawn allot around CR in the winters and have noticed a marked improvement in success once i lined the bottoms of my traps with chain and started using 2 or 3 one pound weights on the line.
Cheers

Agreed - Although I do my winter prawning down around Mill Bay, I have scrap chain zap-strapped inside the traps. 'Way better! It keeps them right side up when they hit the bottom. If you prawn in tidal flows 300' of line will drag your traps. The chain idea and Bauer traps from another thread on this forum - thanks you guys - I'm in prawn heaven! See Bruno at Aquatackle in Sidney. Worth dropping in just for a BS (and a beer).

Good advice here. Definitely a fan of having weight inside the traps. Though I see lots of guys run a weight up the rope a bit, which keeps your traps in the same area, that doesn't mean the traps aren't going to move a bit on there own. Because of this, prawns seem to have a harder time getting in the traps as they are moving around, or at least that's what I think because my results improved after I started weighing the traps internally.

Also, if you have an anchor puller for Hali, the system can be slightly modified to pull the traps, saving you from buying an expensive motorized puller. If anyones interested who doesn't already know how to do this PM me.

When does the commie season start in the Vancouver area? I like to get out before them if I can.

"commie " ??? red monster must be referrence to your neck?
shake your head dude , they are commercial and are feeding 33 million people who cannot and who do not want to sport fish.

shake your head dude , they are commercial and are feeding 33 million people who cannot and who do not want to sport fish.

Feeding 33 million people? Just like the halibut comment you had on the other thread? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the majority of prawns exported? YOU are the one who needs to give your head a shake Capt Hook. Sounds like you are on the wrong forum

First post last year showed potential, second post, self serving, selling boat.
Last 3 confrontational!
Move along, go away nothing to see here.

Back