Getting ready for the season?

tykkyt e blue

I could have sworn someone already started a thread like this, but I can't find it? ( maybe this should be moved?)
What is everyone doing with their boats for the 2013 saltwater season?

The Tuna addiction got me pretty bad so; Floor cut out for bigger/long fuel tank, Permanent bench seat removed ( now fabbing 'sockets' for drop in mounting of bench ) 200 L cooler from Bluewater Baits to also be dual duty bench seat for tuna trip, and some new triangle cut outs and rod holders to be installed in cuddy ( hope to jam 10-12 rods 7' or longer into a 6'8" cuddy )
I'll post some more pics once the tank mods start...

Attachments

• DSCN4457.jpg
    DSCN4457.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN4458.jpg
    DSCN4458.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCN4460.jpg
    DSCN4460.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 479
So how much will each tuna cost you this year? Cool mods. Great demonstration of the value of recreational fishing no tuna oppurtunities and you wouldn't have spent the coin.

I installed some rod tubes today have about a 9ft 1 piece peetz halibut rod to try out this year and it wouldn't fit anywhere. Hope it stands up to the butts it should add another element of fight to the 20-30lb class I mostly catch.

GDW - just out if interest, why would you want to give hali the advantage of a 9' lever arm? I like short rods for hali.

Mostly for fun i like reeling them in and the more difficult it is the more fun i have.

Also im always on anchor a long loose rod will bob up and down on its own a lot more then a short stiff rod. it makes it easier to bounce bottom and might provide a little more action down there without jigging yourself.

Ive paired this old peetz roller rod up with an old peetz reel loaded with braid. I do have a couple regular level winds on shorter rods I use too but I enjoy mixing if up from time to time. A setup like the peetz was good enough for all the old timers its good enough for me. I have another one (7ft) that's great this will be my first season using the 9ft it might prove to be too long.

My friend has a similar peetz setup he caught about an 80lbr on it last year and I missed the harpoon shot. You should see the handles on that real spin when a fish that large is charging back to the bottom. Watch your fingers you might lose them! Thankfully we ended up getting the fish back up and in the boat.

Sweet rig! I wish my home port was a little closer to the Tuna grounds. I agree with GDW on a longer looser rod for anchoring, it did out fish the "broom handles" that I used to use.
What you talking about, did you change rods since the last time I fished with you?
What did you go to?

I saw a ton of people with the Island outtfitter hali rods they were selling for 20 bucks, did anyone buy one? How do they seem to people? Seems really bendy?

Lastchance did you buy just the blank then have eyes put on or did you buy the rod, have the ss eyes removed and new ones put on?

I got a Tolora for x mas it's got SS eyes. Looking forward to trying it out I've heard good things.

Just bought 2 St. Croix TSWC70HF's. Nice rods!! 7fter's also,with the most scoocum eyes I've ever seen. Ironnoggin
recommended them in a post quite awhile back. Can't wait to give em a try here in a couple of weeks.

Getting the boat ready as well.
Just a few little things. Pulled the Cuddy door off and took it to the shop to fix up the T-mold around the edge. Will strip the wood and re varnish it as well.
Just swapped out the flapper style scuppers with the ball valve type. Super easy re-re on the trophy. took less than 15min. Four screws per unit times four. Pop em off and screw the new ones on. I look forward to trying them out and see if it eliminates the foot bath I get when I stand in the back corner with the kicker.

Will be getting the side curtains in for new Velcro. I would like to get them extended by 1 inch as everything has shrunk over the years. Anyone had that done? Other than that I plan to replace the twoo plastic rod tubes with a bank of four,do a little clean up and then put it in the water for the year.

I'm going to cough up the cash for a Furuno 1623 stand alone radar. I spent too much time in the fog last year to keep trying my luck. I'm also going to fabricate a rack for on top of my t-top for my bumpers. They always get thrown on the cuddy floor and make it a pain to get around down there. I just replaced my trailer brakes and bought a new spare tire for the trailer. B.O.A.T.

Back