Gettin The Gear Ready.

walleyes

Crew Member
Counting the days until the hunt begins. Going through the annual ritual. Spent the morning going through the gear and checking everything. Shined up the flashers, checked and lubed the swivels, replaced a couple iffy ones. Retied all the chovie holders and sharpened the hooks/pinched barbs. Retied all the swivels on the rods.. I don't want any excuses from me or anyone if I lose a nice one by the boat, live by the gear die by the gear..

Can you tell Chartrues is my favourite color lol..

image.jpg1_zpsikjxpqcv.jpg

image.jpg2_zpslasafas6.jpg

Yah you bet.. Be some where's around my 10th year fishing Sooke,, feels like home. Heading up the middle of Aug again.

Hopefully in about 4 or 5 years it may be our home..

6th teaser in from the left....with a 5-6" herring in a nice roll will be my vote! :cool:

Krippled K if I am seeing correctly?

6th teaser in from the left....with a 5-6" herring in a nice roll will be my vote! :cool:

Yah I've definitely had luck with those on certain years.. Just looking at the pic I noticed I don't have a Rys Davies in Chartrues with out a trailer tied up.. Some I run with trailers some not just depends on how they are biting. If they are taking them short I run one if they are smashing them like some years I don't bother.. I go back and forth between Kripple K and Rys Davies as to my preferred. I know it's just me but sometimes I can get one to roll better than the other,, don't know what it is. Looking forward to trying out more spoons this year,, never had much luck with them over the years but by the sounds of things out there I am going to have one in the water at all times,, just for a quick re set due to the pinks.

I don't mind Pink years. For those of us that travel 1400km to get there and leave work for 2 weeks and the expense of it all atleast on the Pink years you know you can come home with enough fish to make it worth while. I don't bring my limit home any longer,, just don't need that many. If I can come home with half a dozen nookies in the 12 - 20# range and a dozen Pinks/ Coho that's good enough. Eat a few out there fresh out the water. We only fish until about noon every day then spend the rest of the day being tourists spending some money lol.. I like to come in and after I clean and package my catch I like to throw one fresh little fish on the bar b every day while I am having a shower and clean up. By the time I am done the fish is ready and we have it for horderves before we head out for the afternoon. Pink or what ever,, fresh out the water their all good man,, maybe a couple crab some days from the traps,, we enjoy ourselves out there no doubt about it.

Agreed, Nothing seems to get them biting like "firecracker" herring in Anchovie teaser heads. I love putting a daisy chain (Kone-zone or Delta flashers) right off the cannon ball and a 5-6" herring in a teaser head 3 feet above it. Much more enjoyable fight when the fish is not dragging a flasher all over.

Last week in Nootka the "Tiger Prawn" holder was outfishing anything else 2 to 1. The version we used though is chrome and green. Tried to find it on line and couldn't, but, pretty sure Island Outfitters is where I got them. The Betsy was choice number 2...

Last week in Nootka the "Tiger Prawn" holder was outfishing anything else 2 to 1. The version we used though is chrome and green. Tried to find it on line and couldn't, but, pretty sure Island Outfitters is where I got them. The Betsy was choice number 2...

Gord.....Tiger Prawn is the brand?

No, its the OKI anchovy classic holder painted as "tiger prawn". Normally tiger prawn is orange. These ones are done the same way but using green. I've attached the orange version if my skills re adding attachments worked....

Attachments

• 199-Tiger-Prawn.jpg
    199-Tiger-Prawn.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 342
Roger....kinda what I thought was just a bit confused when you said "Last week in Nootka the "Tiger Prawn" holder was outfishing anything else 2 to 1. The version we used though is chrome and green."

No, its the OKI anchovy classic holder painted as "tiger prawn". Normally tiger prawn is orange. These ones are done the same way but using green. I've attached the orange version if my skills re adding attachments worked....

I believe I have some in a green tiger print,, will have to check it out. Thx for the heads up..

I don't have any real tiger prawn but I do have these..

Going to tie them up and give them a try for sure. Found that odd coloured one at the end as well, it kind of looks interesting going to give it a spin,, never know.

image.jpg1_zpsjy9vjomo.jpg

Walleyes, check the BC ferries web site for reduced rates on over length units. Not offered on all sailings, but if you can make it work, you'll have more money to spend on tackle

bruce

Walleyes, check the BC ferries web site for reduced rates on over length units. Not offered on all sailings, but if you can make it work, you'll have more money to spend on tackle

bruce

Lol,, awesome tip Bruce thx will check it out. Yah it's getting pretty pricey to drag er all out there. But really,, it's not like a guy would stop going regardless of what they charged. I think they know that hence the price I guess..

Something I came up with I thought I would share.

Like I mentioned earlier at times I like to run a trailer hook at times I don't just depends on the bite. So I tossed a few ideas around in my go head for a couple days and came up with this. I kind of stole the idea from some of our walleye rigs. They do make a trailer hook set up that clips on a jig but it's only 12# test line and the hooks are very small treble hooks not something that would be dependable for large fish. I tied these up with 110# test spider wire so the strength is there I set them up with a small split ring. This way a guy can add it to anyone of your rigs or remove it as you wish. I tied them in 3 different lengths for now until I find which one will work best or dependant on the size of bait available. My only concern is I hope not to get to much interference on the roll from the split ring. I plan on putting the ring on the inside of the hook so it rests up tight to the bait this should eliminate any interference.

See what you all think.

image.jpg1_zpsuf5tykjl.jpg

image.jpg2_zpslauegxpu.jpg

Back