Gel Coat Repairs

pescador

I've got 2 small 3" long by 1" wide spots on my hull where the gel coat has been damaged due to what appears to be dry stacking lift damage. Firstly, should I repair them at all? What’s the risk of not repairing them? Secondly, I've bought a gel kit repair kit but have never done any gel coat repairs before. How difficult is it? I'm told you have to mix the entire kit; it’s a one use kit they said. I have different colors that allow you to match the hull color. What is the process? Sand the site to ensure its rough enough to allow bonding? Apply gel coat with a wooden applicator? Setting time? Then sand to complete smooth finish? I have not clue and am a little apprehensive to be honest. Any tricks/ideas would be appreciated.

It's actually pretty simple. Yes, you roughen up the area first, take off any chips or loose parts and widen fine cracks. Then you pour the gelcoat component how much you would need to fill your spot in a small bowl or cup or whatever and add your dye. Start with tiny dye portions as it's quite intense. Take a nail and dip it in your gel when you think the colour is close and just put a nail-tip full next to your repair spot on your intact gelcoat and see how it matches. When good, add proportionally to the amount of gelcoat you used the catalyst into your bowl - typically only a few drops for a small repair. Mix it thoroughly and then apply with a brush or spounge or spatula or whatever you feel comfortable with. Fill until it's a bit higher than the surrounding area so you can later sand back to level. If it's unwaxed gelcoat you need to cover it up with a plastic foil or wax paper - just push the foil onto the wet gelcoat patch to cover it airtight. Otherwise it won't cure. If you have waxed gelcoat - don't need to cover it. Give it 24h to cure if temp. is at least 10 degrees celcius. Then sand it to right level and finish wet sanding with 600 grit. Make sure you can't feel the transition old-new anymore when sliding your finger over it. Then buff it with a cloth buffer/polisher and wax it and done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never attempt a gel coat repair I had a back yard guy do a small patch up for me...........& I bet I could have boundo'd it better, one similarity though the color is not matched. so it would stick out, like a gel coat previously fixed

Had a better shop do repairs @ their shop rate & in certain light, the repair still stuck out.
Matching gel coat colors is an art IMO

Kh

Pescador -- We did this last year and it was very easy. Picked up a small can of Gel coat and a tube of catalyst from Industrial Plastics and Paint in Victoria. They have a couple of outlets on the lower mainland. They had a few white and off white colour selections and I was able to get a good color match without doing the dye bit.

I was only repairing some small chips and you cannot even tell where it was repaired. On larger areas I suspect a good color match may be more critical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rockfish, I bought my kit from Industrial Plastics here in Richmond. It comes with various color mixes and the two compounds. Sounds doable based on everyones comments. I've been warned about the color match, but, one advantage I have is that the two areas aren't readily visible. Thanks for input guys. I'll check out youtube...

I like to use my small touchup spray gun,mask-off the area tightly and pull the gun apart quickly to clean it...or it's TOAST!!

Easy repair, just do the proper prep work, like chris73 said.
The finishing sand with a 1000 + grit makes a glass finish. Like any body work if you put too much on you have to sand it off.

BTW the fish finder is great.

...or try Marinetex epoxy gelcoat repair compound.

I had a couple of looney size gelcoat dings on the bow. Cleaned the area, mixed up the 2 part, pre-tinted compound, applied a small amount to the chips, then stretched and taped saran wrap over. Smooth out the saran so no bubbles or wrinkles below and fair to the bow contour with a rubber body repair squeegy. The compound will not run or sag. If you need a wee bit more compound, peel back the saran and add it. Peel off the saran an hour or two later and the repair is surprisingly smooth, fair and shiny, without sanding. Thanks to a Philbrooks shipwright, for that idea! :)

Thanks guys. Lots of good tips. Think i've got it now.
SK01, glad to here the fish finder is great. See you up at Nootka some time.....

Another alternative is Goop Marine Epoxy Paste.
2 years ago I met some rocks which chipped the gelcoat on the keel, deep enough to expose the mat underneath.
Local marine dealer suggested the Goop Epoxy instead of trying to do a fibreglass gel coat patch and colour match.
Worked good, did 2 applications to build up the desired thickness and minimize sanding. Don't even notice it now.
Still holding strong.
Only about 15.00 and, I recall, also available in white as well as the off-white beige I used.
Recommend it.

Another alternative is Goop Marine Epoxy Paste.
2 years ago I met some rocks which chipped the gelcoat on the keel, deep enough to expose the mat underneath.
Local marine dealer suggested the Goop Epoxy instead of trying to do a fibreglass gel coat patch and colour match.
Worked good, did 2 applications to build up the desired thickness and minimize sanding. Don't even notice it now.
Still holding strong.
Only about 15.00 and, I recall, also available in white as well as the off-white beige I used.
Recommend it.

Goop neva herd it B4 hav'ta tri it some day

Back