Garmin vs Eagle/Lorance

[
I own VCA500L. Approach to Nanoose Harbour is there. As far as G2 not having 3459 Approaches to Nanoose Harbour listed, it is not. No need as it would be duplicate coverage of the same area. G2 does have the more detailed maps listed, including Ca570193 which is a 1:7500 verses 3459 which is 1:15000. BlueChart V9.5 actually shows that.
Your missing link is here: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/g2vision/card.jsp?sku=VCA500L

This starting to be very educational, at least to me. The website I looked at back when showed a lot of detail charts within 3512 ( Georgia Strait Central) but not the Nanoose detail. I would have preferred the Garmin over my Eagle, but my understanding of the coverage drove my decision. I don't follow how you can determine the coverage area from that listing, but if its alright by you I would like to followup via email.

quote:Originally posted by Copper Moon

[
This starting to be very educational, at least to me. The website I looked at back when showed a lot of detail charts within 3512 ( Georgia Strait Central) but not the Nanoose detail. I would have preferred the Garmin over my Eagle, but my understanding of the coverage drove my decision. I don't follow how you can determine the coverage area from that listing, but if its alright by you I would like to followup via email.

Yea, that’s fine!

It is funny you brought up Chart 3459. Back in 1997, I lost my GPS and refused to go into Nanoose Harbour, as I did not have the paper chart and just looking at that area, I didn’t like the thought of having to poke my way through all those rocks I was looking at, with just my wife and her girlfriend with me? That had ‘bad news’ written all over it back then! [:0]

Then the Sooke comment? I also remember the first time I went into Sooke Harbour and cut across mid channel (without a detailed chart)? As I looked down and saw all that grass, I was glad it wasn't low tide! [:I]

Pictures still better than words?

NanooseHarbour.jpg

SoutheyIslnad.jpg

Sooke.jpg

quote:Then the Sooke comment? I also remember the first time I went into Sooke Harbour and cut across mid channel (without a detailed chart)? As I looked down and saw all that grass, I was glad it wasn't low tide!

God its fun watchin the newbies! :D
No offence meant :)

Charlie

That's the detail I was looking for. Pretty easy shot north of Southey to/from Schooner Cove, but when I go into Brickyard Bay I go pretty slow.

Thanks

Back