Garmin vs Eagle/Lorance

Time

Bought a used (3 year old) Garmin 498 GPS/depth sounder from a fellow member last fall and was lucky enough to win an Eagle Fish Elite 640C GPS/depth sounder Combo unit in a contest this spring.
Finally getting around to mounting one of the units in the boat and unable to decide which to put in.
Anybody with experience comparing the two makes?
Prime use will be as a depth sounder with GPS features as a bonus. I don't plan on getting the Navionics or Garmin cards.
Both are similar units with similar features.
Even though its a used unit I'm leaning towards keeping the Garmin, always had good experience with them.
The Eagle is still new in the box so I don't really want to mount on the boat in case I decide to sell it.
Any thoughts?

Personally, I would mount the Eagle and sell the Garmin.

Garmin does make good hardware, but the maps are not as good as those available for Lowrance/Eagle. Also, Garmin uses a lot of proprietary hardware and software. You either buy it from them at whatever price they want to charge or not at all.

If you are planning to use it primarily for GPS, then you really do need the map chip. The detail in the built-in maps is just not there. Using them this way could put you on top of a rock or in other danger that you just won't see without the map chip. You should be able to get an older map chip fairly cheaply if you don't want to buy new.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

I know you do not intend to purchase the garmin chart card, but just in case when I was doing my research on the charts included on the garmin card I found that some of the detail charts were not included ie Approaches to Nanoose (3459 I believe).

Im really happy with my Garmin 172C plotter, it's 5 years old
now and always worked well. i have the chip which provides chart detail.
The built in base map does not have much detail.
You can pick up the chip used for around $100.

Have to agree with the verdict on Garmin. I had a Standard Horizon on my boat and switched to Garmin. Do not find the detail as good or as accurate as my old stand by. Still a good unit (192C) but sometimes it shows me driving on land (leaving Pedder Bay).

I have a Lowrance gps/ sounder combo and I love it.. the graphics are second to none. Ive used a number of garmins and I hate their graphics.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

The big problem with Garmin is the fact that they chose to create their own maps (charts). I have many of their BlueCharts on disk and can load them on my computer. I hate them. There is no fine detail in them.

Lowrance/Eagle, and others use Navionics charts which have a high degree of detail in them.

BTW, Eagle is made by Lowrance and is there "inexpensive" line. Translation: Last years models at reduced prices.

I have a Lowrance LXC 112c in my boat and I just love it. The only thing I would trade it for is a new HDS Lowrance which gives you even more detail in the sonar.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

The big problem with Garmin is the fact that they chose to create their own maps (charts). I have many of their BlueCharts on disk and can load them on my computer. I hate them. There is no fine detail in them.

Lowrance/Eagle, and others use Navionics charts which have a high degree of detail in them.
They ALL use the same Canadian charts for their detail? Garmin is actually one known for being one of the best in detail when it comes to their charts. If you are using MapSource, make sure you have the detail turned up to the highest level and have the current charts... and you won't find any better?

Now, when it comes to "sonar", different story? If you have one of Garmin's older units you can find better. Garmin really didn't get their act together on their sonar until a couple of years ago.

I am running the Garmin 545s and it is probably the best unit I have ever had for both GPS and Sonar. :)

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Thanks Guys.
Agree the reputation of the Garmin map chips leaves something to be desired.
But as I said, primary use will be for the depth sounder with the GPS used for the traps etc.
Only have a 16 foot boat so it's not like I'll be using it to run offshore to Swiftsure.
Looking at it last night the Garmin will mount to my existing transducer, so will try that out first. See what we see.

The GPS question is still up in the air though, but if I decide the GPS would be a very desirable feature, then the question arises of what is the best map source.

Navionics seem to be the most popular choice, but not sure if that is because more Navionics compatible units are on the market. Some think that the C-Map chips are the better choice.

It was all much simpler when the only choice to make when going fishing was whether to use whole herring or strip.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Charlie,

Have you tried the G2 Vision chip yet ?
wonder if it's trick as it looks to be...

:)
Yep! And, Yep! :D
I love it! A lot of NICE features, including the automatic routing! No more plotting routes. Just plug in where you want to go and it automatically figures the route. Hook up to the autopilot and off you go! And, the 3-D bottom is neater than ****! :D

When it comes to the WCVI, nothing compares to the Navionics charts.
I am running an Eagle myself (shoestring budget as the wife has a horse)
and aside from the slightly slower CPU compared to the Lowrance, I am very happy with it.
Anyone who has run the Sooke Basin at low tide can tell you the importance of a good gps chart.

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Kind of interesting to hear the different comments… as I run Navionics and Garmin both? When it comes to accuracy, navigation, and detail… GARMIN is ‘hands down’ the better of the two! [:0]:D

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

What crusing waters are you using to compare Charlie?
US or westcoast of the Island?
Haven't heard any complaints on these areas but where the Garmin seems to be lacking is Georgia Strait.

I've got both a Garmin running the BlueCharts and Lowrance running the Navionics. Running side by side, my opinion is the Lowrance/Navionics is superior. This is especially true on the inside where the BlueChart data is...lacking.

I say of you have two units, use them both. Back-up is good, use one as chartplotter and one as sounder...

I was sold on a garmin plotter/sounder because I have had their products for years. However I heard that some detail charts were not included on the g2. When I was doing my research on the Garmin site about 1 1/2 yrs ago I was able to see a listing of the charts included on the g2 card. For one, the detail chart 3459 was not included in the list. In addition some detail charts in the Broughton Area were not included. Unfortunately I cannot find the Garmin page again. I would suggest that if you are interested in the G2 chips you had better see with your own eyes that the level of detail you need is provided. Its easy to claim to have coverage, one chart will give you the whole coast but tuff to fish from that (exaggeration!!)

I can't give you any info on the Navionics, but can give info on Garmin G2, and their support, and also Jeppesen C-Max....

I tried the new Garmin G2 card in my handheld Garmin76csx that I use for backup, I did the trade in/up($80 bucks Can.)of my bluechart to the G2 and the detail in the new G2 " ON MY 76csx" is lacking, compared to the 2yr old Bluechart, they have taken out most contour lines below 30ft,replaced with more? spot soundings, and my 76csx will NOT show alot of the NEW fishing contour info/detail they have put into the card,which is why I did the trade,the info I was given by Garmin was wrong in my case(for my handheld) so Garmin said send it back because they had many complaints and are releasing a NEW version of the G2 this month or next, with the contour lines below 30ft back in.
Double check to see if what your running will open ALL the detail they have put into the card,which ever one you get.

I cant say enough about Garmin and there support, they have been just GREAT to deal with, when it becomes available Garmin is sending the NEW G2 card to me free of charge to compare with the Bluechart that was sent back to me,
and which ever card I want to keep they said just send the other back.

I also run the Jeppesen C-Map Max in my Standard Horizon and the chart accuracy is the same as the Garmin.

I like the C-Map better than the Garmin though....

I think the Garmin/Navionics question is like vehicles though,
some people are Ford people others GMC, and others Dodge....IMO

First, I should clarify? “MY” Garmin G2 Vision is hands down better than “MY” Navionics. It is also five years newer. I also have and run BlueChart Americas v9.5 (which if you don’t have the latest update – I highly recommend), on a laptop, which is also tied in to Google Earth, Garmin Mobile PC, and Delorme Earthmap… so there aren’t too many spots I don’t have detailed coverage of. Must be the pilot coming out of me! LOL

quote:Originally posted by Time

What crusing waters are you using to compare Charlie?
US or westcoast of the Island?
Haven't heard any complaints on these areas but where the Garmin seems to be lacking is Georgia Strait.
The waters are from the Columbia River up to Cape Scott, inside to Cape Caution; however, I have not used the G2 Vision on the inside north of Salt Spring Island.

quote:Originally posted by Copper Moon

I was sold on a garmin plotter/sounder because I have had their products for years. However I heard that some detail charts were not included on the g2. When I was doing my research on the Garmin site about 1 1/2 yrs ago I was able to see a listing of the charts included on the g2 card. For one, the detail chart 3459 was not included in the list. In addition some detail charts in the Broughton Area were not included. Unfortunately I cannot find the Garmin page again. I would suggest that if you are interested in the G2 chips you had better see with your own eyes that the level of detail you need is provided. Its easy to claim to have coverage, one chart will give you the whole coast but tuff to fish from that (exaggeration!!)
I own VCA500L. Approach to Nanoose Harbour is there. As far as G2 not having 3459 Approaches to Nanoose Harbour listed, it is not. No need as it would be duplicate coverage of the same area. G2 does have the more detailed maps listed, including Ca570193 which is a 1:7500 verses 3459 which is 1:15000. BlueChart V9.5 actually shows that.
Your missing link is here: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/g2vision/card.jsp?sku=VCA500L

They ALL use the same Canadian charts for their detail? Garmin is actually known for being one of the best in detail when it comes to their charts. If you are using MapSource, make sure you have the current version 9.5 and the detail turned up to the highest level... and you won't find any better? If you want the fancy bells and whistles (and want to pay for it) the Garmin G2 VISION is a very good unit, which you will want to play with more than use!

They are both good! :D

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Will G2 vision work on the older chartplotter's Charlie ?
I have a 172C , i'm thinking not....
I think... you be thinking right - Sorry! :)

BTW… Chart Number Ch3547 S57 is listed as ENC Numbers CA470312 and CA470313 for the Broughton Area charts! :)

Back