Garmin SD card maps

pescador

Just found out i've lost one of my charts on a Garmin SD card I use in my Garmin 720 GPS/Radar. The charts have simple vanished. I called Garmin they say tough luck. Has this happened to anyone else ever? I'm pissed, Garmin says the only solution is buy a new one ($300)...I have a second set of charts on another SD card and feel given my what's happened I should just copy the second SD card and use it (against my personal ethics but, I feel they're forcing me to consider this as an option). Anyone ever been faced with this issue specifically with Garmin....

I wouldn't feel bad about copying it given their response to your issue.
I'm not sure you can copy them though ?
I think there is some kind of lock preventing this.

Craven, agreed, there probably is some form of copy protection on it. But, that won't stop inquiring minds from figuring out how to do it.

I have the same model.. How did this happen???? If this is garmins stance on a prob with this sd card i am thinking of never buying garmin again!! How can a card just lose protected memory?

I don't know how it evapored and they didn't seem to be terrible concerned nor offered any potential solutions. Their response was the SD card is 4 years old and probably needs updating anyway. I don't think marine charts are outdated after 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my understanding that the info on the card references the card serial number, if it isn't the right number the info won't load. I understand you can copy the card when it is good, if the info is lost, you can copy the backup back onto the card. I have made backups of a card, but never had to restore. I would try to put the card into a card reader and see. What is on it.
Ted

Quote from the brochure that came with my BlueChart card:

"BlueChart g2 Vision data cannot be transferred from the SD card to your PC for backup or
viewing purposes. The SD card can only be used on BlueChart g2 Vision compatible Garmin GPS units."

Take very good care of these cards!!

Mine are navionics cards. Simply plug them in to computer bring up on computer, right click, copy, click in documents, right click, make new folder, go into folder, right click, click paste.
Don't know if works on garmin card.
ted

Back