Garage Rod Storage

Falcon

I'm searching the net for some ideas on rod storage for the garage, lots of options out there, but there's also a lot of crap out there. I'd like an upright storage with wheels and a drawer if possible as I've been warned about storing rods horizontally. Cabelas has a nice one but the reviews say the wood is pretty poor, does anyone know of someone that makes them locally here on the South Island?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home...s/104539680.uts&WTz_l=DirectLoad;cat104539680

I have a couple Okuma rod racks bolted to the wall that are cheep and work well. Just google Okuma Rod Rack and they come up.

12" shelf brackets with foam pipe insulation placed on the upper surface. Dont know where you got the info about it being bad to store rods horizontally

I think the horizontal thing has to due with the spacing of the rod holders. I could see it being a problem if they were supported by the very tip and the butt. If they are properly spaced I don't see a problem. There are many fishers that use the ceiling hanger type rod holders to give them more space in their fishing rooms etc.

Never store rods horizontally they will blow up as soon as you touch them and kill anyone within 50sq meters.

I made rod holders out of 2" dia. "built in vacuum" pipe, set at 45º angles, mounted on a board and attached to the wall of my garage. My rods, thusly, are neither vertical nor horizontal, but rather set at a 45º angle and should not explode when I touch them. Or at least the magnitude of any explosion will be such that no one will die.

I made rod holders out of 2" dia. "built in vacuum" pipe, set at 45º angles, mounted on a board and attached to the wall of my garage. My rods, thusly, are neither vertical nor horizontal, but rather set at a 45º angle and should not explode when I touch them. Or at least the magnitude of any explosion will be such that no one will die.

LOL....thanks for that, I feel better knowing you're taking every precaution!

I don't believe storing rods horizontally is an issue. I've been doing it for 40 years. Does someone have science to prove its a risk?

I don't believe storing rods horizontally is an issue. I've been doing it for 40 years. Does someone have science to prove its a risk?
Probably, but they were killed when their rods blew up.

Nah. They survived their rods blowing up but were shot by Harper's minions as ALL science must be muzzled.

Some, I've read, have the opinion that without proper support along the entire length of the rod they may sag, which would become permanent in the fibres that make up the rods.

I store my rods on peg board that I installed on a wall in the shop. Its cheap and simple and really easy to organize your rods.

That sounds like a nice set up. Could you post a picture so I can get an idea as to how to build one for myself?

My rod just exploded but I was holding it at 36.156 degrees upside down while suspended from the ceiling. How can I fix this.

Soo... Gear'n'beer! has his rods horizontal but hangs his car on the wall?? I am missing something... don't want to break a car

Last edited by a moderator:
Back